21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: mental health
Created on: 01/08/12 11:20 AM Views: 758 Replies: 3
mental health
Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Veganism is a sign of good mental health. Vegans are being proactive concerning their health and not being a victim of the system. This positive attitude extends to other areas of life.

RE: mental health
Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 11:58 AM

When I started this journey 21+ years ago, it was about not eating animal products.

As I progressed on this path, I learned about many other things and have "evolved" along the way. I don't use chemicals to clean, I don't store my food in plastic. I have used cloth bags for almost 25 years, I try to buy fair trade and organic natural fibers. I recycle, reuse and repurpose. I have had a vermiculture bin since the late 90s. I keep my environment quiet and peaceful, do what I can to make my life a "do no harm" existance. I eat very litte processed foods and work hard to be kind and if I can't... listen and say nothing!

This has not happened over night and is why both of my children say I am single! Laughing

Joking aside, I am healthier and happier each year that passes. So I agree, that mental health is a major part of my journey and it just keeps getting better!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Edited 01/08/12 11:59 AM
Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I would caution against the elitism that sometimes comes from some vegans as a show of their superiority. Sure...be proud, but putting it into others peoples faces doesn't help the cause either.

I'm not saying that I see this in this forum thread, but I'm using this thought to chime in anyway.

Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I agree, I don't think pride has a place in this or many other places. Unfortunately, that sort of off putting attitude can be found in many areas like veganism, politics, religion, sports, even education.

I read a lot of blogs and I see verbal attacks frequently, it always makes me sad. It isn't about being right or wrong, just a journey. My reference to my choices of how I live my life (previous post) are more or less an example of how my journey has progressed. I would not want to put this information out in very many places as I would most certainly be attacked! Smile So many times when confronted with new ideas people think there has to be a right or wrong in it and get defensive or attack. I am grateful that for the most part here on this forum the people are friendly and open minded.

I have made so many mistakes along the way and have changed my mind many times on what is right for me, right now. It is a journey and I hope to keep this journey on the path of progression and kindness. It is important to realize that a decision that is good for today may need adjustment tomorrow.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 319 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: brittasmom, danahect

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org