21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: your favourite sweetener
Created on: 03/13/14 09:10 PM Views: 493 Replies: 3
your favourite sweetener
Posted Thursday, March 13, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Hi all, and hope your March is going well! I admit, despite kicking the dairy out of my diet, i am not brave enough to go cold tofu-rkey on the sugar.

i only use sugar in the raw since i know that is definitely not processed with bone char. most people swear by honey as being healthy...and i know this is a bit of 'grey' area for vegans? but i personally find that the stickiness alone keeps me away! and even for me, well - honey is far TOO sweet. or is that just me? some people say it is better than even the raw sugar.

what might be the best option? agave nectar, maple syrup...am i leaving anything else out? i'm thinking something that comes in a small enough pack, that i can take with me everywhere.

I'm thinking the use of sweetener is okay if used in moderation...say a teaspoon in some hot tea or along with almond milk for added flavor, and if i'm already cut down on the processed foods, cookies / candies, then some sugar in this form isn't so bad.

RE: your favourite sweetener
Posted Friday, March 14, 2014 at 6:07 AM

A small amount of sugar is going to be fine. My only caution with sugar or whatever your sweetener of choice is that it will give you plenty of calories without many nutrients. If someone is having trouble meeting certain goals, especially weight loss, I will look at sugar intake to see if there is something that can be reduced. This goes for alcohol too!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, March 17, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Anyone heard of Rapadura sugar ?

Wash your back

Posted Monday, March 17, 2014 at 10:11 AM

the sweetener we use depends on the application. Raw agave is nice because it dissolves completely in cold liquids (like iced tea or lemonade) and it is very mild. We also use molasses, real maple syrup (NOT pancake syrup - if it costs less than $5 and comes in a squeeze bottle it's likely not real maple syrup, check the label as always), and evaporated cane juice (raw sugar). We rarely use honey because the raw local honey is just too strong - we keep a small amount on hand for soothing sore throats and relieving chapped lips - none of us like the waxy lip care products but a tiny dab of honey smoothed on winter dry chapped lips does the trick without feeling uncomfortable (and since it's edible and not chemical, I don't mind that it's likely to be ingested a little bit).

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 380 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org