21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: what are the thoughts about gluten free diets?
Created on: 02/27/12 06:13 AM Views: 3092 Replies: 10
what are the thoughts about gluten free diets?
Posted Monday, February 27, 2012 at 6:13 AM

My husband is going off gluten (as suggested to him by an allergist). I just read an article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/wheat-gluten_b_1274872.html
I know people who lost weight by going off wheat.
but vegan and wheat free seems even more challenging!

What are people's thoughts on this?

Many thanks!
Fran

RE: what are the thoughts about gluten free diets?
Posted Monday, February 27, 2012 at 6:36 AM

I've never found that I have any problem eating wheat. I don't seem to have any allergies or intestinal upsets so I have not paid much attention to it. Grocery shelves seem to be full of "gluten free" labels. Even the green tea I buy says "gluten free." Like I might have thought there was gluten in tea?

I read an article a while back that said that wheat has been so altered with hybriding that farmers of 100 years ago would never recognize what farmers grow today. You have to wonder if we have started growing some Frankenstein version of wheat that our bodies are not recognizing it as food and don't know what to do with it.

Vikki ~

Posted Monday, February 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I can actually help with this. I do have to eat gluten free as I have celiac disease.

The reason some teas will have a GF label is that many teas have barley in them and barley is a trigger for a gluten allergy.

As far as all the specialty foods, you can go broke in a hurry and remember, that those are processed foods. If you stick to a whole foods, nonprocessed diet, gluten is much easier to manage.

Such as, at a Chinese food restaurant, skip the soy sauce, add ginger, have the rice and a plate FULL of veggies and tofu. Your own bottle of GF tamari can be brought in if you need it.

Mexican food, stick with corn tortillas, beans, cabbage/lettuce, avocado, etc...

In American type of restaurants, avoid salad dressings, some juices (as in grape juice can have gluten in it as a thickener) soy sauce, breads, pastas, flour tortilla. Beware of seasonings as many will have gluten.

Basically for a "safe" gluten free diet, you need to be responsible for your health and stay away from foods that are triggers and ANY food you don't know all the ingredients of. Such as hydolized _____, modified food starch, textured vegetable protein, some ketchup, it can be tricky but it is easy when you just stick to plain old healthy whole foods.

If you eat a lot of jarred, packaged, boxed things, you will have a difficult time of it. The GF versions of these items are spendy. If you eat out a lot and "trust" someone else to verify your sauces and gravies, seasonings, dressings, juices, etc... are safe, you will not feel better and may get more sick.

If you need any more information, please feel free to email me, I have been at this for some time and have a good handle on it.

Best wishes, and speedy healing!

Kym

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Oceandog wrote:

As far as all the specialty foods, you can go broke in a hurry and remember, that those are processed foods. If you stick to a whole foods, nonprocessed diet, gluten is much easier to manage. Kym

Just wanted to pull this out again - I highlighted a piece of it. Whether you're dealing with celiac or diabetes or hypertension or whatever, getting back to preparing your own food from your own ingredients is the quickest way to get control of what you're eating. And, it's usually less expensive as well. I know that, in our household, we kind of confuse houseguests (right now, hubby's sister is living with us and a friend is staying with us until she can find a job, so it's kinda full) because we don't have shelves of pre-made ready to go foods. We buy ingredients and make food fresh and then live on the leftovers for lunches and so on. If we want a treat (son often wants a bit of a sweet in the evenings), we'll MAKE it - whether it's vegan chocolate pudding from scratch or Veganomicon double chocolate cookies (definitely not low fat or low sugar but he's not needing that right now as he grows leaps and bounds) or microwave peanut brittle or even something simple as popcorn tossed with salt and cinnamon sugar (for the sweet). We know each ingredient in it, we've adapted a lot of recipes (baked goods are made with home ground whole wheat flour that is ground as it is needed), we can *pronounce* all the ingredients Wink

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Thanks everyone.

I do make 99% of everything from scratch. My husband has other allergies and can't even have some of the gluten free whole foods that were suggested.

My question was, for someone who does not have a problem with gluten (like me), does it pay to stay off wheat anyway? (as in the link I sent in my original post)

Posted Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Fran wrote:

Thanks everyone.

I do make 99% of everything from scratch. My husband has other allergies and can't even have some of the gluten free whole foods that were suggested.

My question was, for someone who does not have a problem with gluten (like me), does it pay to stay off wheat anyway? (as in the link I sent in my original post)

Opinions are split on that I think BUT if your hubby has serious issues like celiac (rather than simply choosing GF for other reasons, not illness related) then it is probably best to keep it ALL out of the house to avoid cross contamination. A friend of ours has celiac and there have been times when someone in her household made a sandwich (with regular bread) and she didn't realize that there were bread crumbs on the counter and she set her GF bread on the counter and ended up trying to figure out why she was reacting - now she's learned to put a clean plate down first just in case...

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM

thanks. it's NOT celiac (thank God). it's a wheat allergy. Nothing terrible will happen to him if he has some regular bread.

Just wondering what people think about wheat - healthy or not?

Posted Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Fran wrote:

thanks. it's NOT celiac (thank God). it's a wheat allergy. Nothing terrible will happen to him if he has some regular bread.

Just wondering what people think about wheat - healthy or not?

First off, if he has an allergy, it's best to keep wheat out of the house entirely. However, that is not the same as gluten free - there are other gluten-containing grains. If those aren't a problem, great. If they are (or if you'd rather stay away just in case...) keep away from them too. Allergies have a way of getting worse if you try to push it.

Now, as to wheat in general, it depends. Are you talking processed bleached white flour or are you talking freshly home ground whole wheat flour or are you talking about sprouted wheat or cooking wheat berries as a grain (similar to farro or quinoa or whatever)? If you're talking storebought stuff, and the processed foods that contain it, forget it. Even my 13 yr old avoids that. But, we grind our own wheat berries as needed to have fresh whole wheat flour for baking (hubby makes bagels from scratch!). And some folks use sprouted wheat (and other grains) to make bread and it's almost an entirely different thing. And, too, is it genetically modified, organically grown, or whatever else?

As you can see, it can be a bit more nuanced (if allergies or other situations are out of the picture). Those health issues aside, there's a lot of space between yes and no - not so much black and white as some might try to make it.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Fran wrote:

My husband is going off gluten (as suggested to him by an allergist). I just read an article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/wheat-gluten_b_1274872.html
I know people who lost weight by going off wheat.
but vegan and wheat free seems even more challenging!

What are people's thoughts on this?

Many thanks!
Fran

Lady,

Here's a quote from the start of the article:

Quote:

"......wheat products, not just gluten (along with sugar in all its forms) is a major contributor to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, dementia, depression and so many other modern ills."

What you need to do is go to Mr Hyman and ask him if he has a reference to support this rather bold claim. When he fails to give you a reference (and he will fail), you'll know just how seriously to take the rest of the article.

Wishing you the best.

Theodore

Wash your back

Posted Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I have to agree with Deb, if it is an allergy (as suggested by his doctor) then constant contact can quite possibly make it worse.

I will react if I share a container of peanut butter, jam, anything really that comes into contact with gluten (think putting your knife in the jar for just a bit more). I helped clean a bakery one time with long sleeves, gloves, etc.. when I got home a few hours later, I was covered in hives under my clothing. I can tell you I greatly appreciate the people in my life who love me enough to keep the things that make me sick out of the house and brush their teeth and wash their hands prior to touching/kissing me.

As far as the health benefits (of nonprocessed grains), people react differently. Some find it healthy others do not.

You really have a couple of issues here. 1. Your husband's allergy. 2. Your curiosity if it will benefit you to asbstain as well. If you husband is able to eat bread without reaction, I believe you indicated that, then I would quesiton the allergist's suggestion to avoid gluten. If he can eat bread, then gluten does not seem to be an issue. If however, I misunderstood what you said and he cannot have gluten, then I can tell you it would be a gift to your husband to keep things out of the home you share that has the potential to make him sick. That is just my opinion, and it doesn't mean I am right, just means I hate getting sick because someone unintentionally cross-contaminated something. Sometimes after a tiny exposure it will take me 6-8 weeks to get well. That is a long time to be sick from something that is preventable.

Best wishes,
Kym

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Good points Kym.

It's just this Hyman chap. He's getting on my nerves with all his fancy claims. I don't wanna start cursing or anything, but I think he's basically like the opposite of a constipated bull. Like a bull in a laxative shop, if you get my point. Or a China shop that has some kind of laxative section.

Wash your back

Edited 03/07/12 2:26 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 373 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org