21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Calcium
Created on: 01/08/12 02:49 PM Views: 899 Replies: 2
Calcium
Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Hi.

I've been calculating the calcium content of the food i eat for the past week, and I always get between 700 and 900 mg Calcium. I'm not following the kickstart menu, but the general recommondations of how much to eat of the four food groups. I'm wondering if this is good, or if the recommended calcium intake is related to uptake, so that I only get 30% of the calculated levels? Does anyone know? How come so many vegans in different scientific studies have a calcium intake < 500mg?

RE: Calcium
Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Pir wrote:

Hi.

I've been calculating the calcium content of the food i eat for the past week, and I always get between 700 and 900 mg Calcium. I'm not following the kickstart menu, but the general recommondations of how much to eat of the four food groups. I'm wondering if this is good, or if the recommended calcium intake is related to uptake, so that I only get 30% of the calculated levels? Does anyone know? How come so many vegans in different scientific studies have a calcium intake < 500mg?

Pir,

What many don't realize is the calcium is not so much an intake problem as a depletion problem. A diet high in protein and processed foods causes the body to release bone mineral content in an effort to de-acidify the body. Thus the problem is not a calcium deficiency as much as a calcium depletion problem.

I have a couple of articles and a video that I hope you will get the time for because they explain it all:

‘Perils of Dairy’: Why dairy may not ‘do your body good’ and in fact be just plain bad for you this is about dairy yet there is a huge section about osteoporosis and the calcium issue I was telling you about included.

The calcium without the cow: 3 reasons to ditch dairy and dig into your greens
about vegan sources of calcium

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

RE: Calcium
Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Almond milk has around 450mg Ca per cup (more than dairy milk)...tastes great and is a great sub in recipes that call for milk or cream.

~Linda

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 572 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org