21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: do vegans get sick often?
Created on: 01/08/12 11:02 PM Views: 2932 Replies: 7
do vegans get sick often?
Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM

My wife and I have noticed we don't get sick anymore since becoming vegans (2 years - so far)

Have you noticed that change?

RE: do vegans get sick often?
Posted Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I have had exactly 2 colds and 0 flus in the last 21 years. 1 cold was directly related to taking care of my sick grandchildren and being sneezed upon directly in my mouth. Yes, let's all reflect on that grandmother moment... Shocked

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Yeah, we tend to not be sick as much. Hubby has had a nasty cough for the last week and a bit - but that's probably related to the fact that his sister (who lives with us) has had some sort of virus and possibly strep for the last three weeks. I work fulltime so I'm out of the house quite a bit, but hubby and son are home all day (mostly). SIL came down with whatever it is around Christmas Day and hubby started with the cough and a low grade fever a week later. Fever was gone quickly and he's now in the clearing up stage (things are loosening and clearing out). SIL is still fighting it. So, not only have we gotten sick less often, if we do get some bug or other, it tends not to be as bad or as long.

--Deb R

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 9:00 AM

for me diet alone does not do so as much as diet and exercise. In my opinion, execise gets everything going and working the way it is supposed to. Gotta give the lungs and heart a work out. Helps keep them healthy and clear.

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 9:13 AM

cch22 wrote:

for me diet alone does not do so as much as diet and exercise. In my opinion, execise gets everything going and working the way it is supposed to. Gotta give the lungs and heart a work out. Helps keep them healthy and clear.

Sickness is generated from a variety of avenues, not the least of which is what we put into and how we move our bodies!

I'm happy to report that in the last 3 years I've had no colds Very Happy and only one 12 hour barfbug Embarassed.

cch22, thank you! Movement is too often overlooked yet has a huge impact on your robustness, resiliency, energy, vitality and health. Talking about the eats is huge and it's the first big step - you can't out train a bad diet - yet so many are slow to come around to getting the muscles in gear. I'm excited to see so many snapping up the chance to come to the Teleclass coming up!

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 9:13 AM

cch22 wrote:

I agree, I think it's a combo of it all. But, our path into vegan eating has also included more movement and exercise as well. It's kind of an all-around change, because it's a whole lifestyle thing, not just a "diet plan".

--Deb R

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM

cch22 wrote:

Sickness is generated from a variety of avenues, not the least of which is what we put into and how we move our bodies!

I'm happy to report that in the last 3 years I've had no colds Very Happy and only one 12 hour barfbug Embarassed.

cch22, thank you! Movement is too often overlooked yet has a huge impact on your robustness, resiliency, energy, vitality and health. Talking about the eats is huge and it's the first big step - you can't out train a bad diet - yet so many are slow to come around to getting the muscles in gear. I'm excited to see so many snapping up the chance to come to the Teleclass coming up!

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Monday, January 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I think one of the keys is a strong, healthy immune system. Everything we consume is either going to strengthen your immune system or challenge it. Moving, breathing, sweating and keeping the blood circulating is all part of keeping that system strong and functioning to ward off all the "stuff" we are exposed to. It's not necessary to be a super athlete, but you do have to move every single day.

Compare a couch potato to someone who just walks three miles a day, guess which one is most likely to catch every cold that comes around.

Vikki ~

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 418 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org