21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: stomach issues and yogurt?
Created on: 09/13/12 08:14 PM Views: 1437 Replies: 8
stomach issues and yogurt?
Posted Thursday, September 13, 2012 at 8:14 PM

hi guys, I think I ate some thing that didn't agree w/ me, still getting my body used to things I guess! anyway...I had some, um, stomach issues last night - to be pc, lol, opposite to the constipation problem!

I remember hearing always that for any digestive, stomach issues, yogurt is really good.

Do you guys think there are other ways of soothing a tummy / digestion besides yogurt? How good is yogurt, because many lactose-intolerant people seem to be fine with it...

I'd like ideas on what to have instead of yogurt, when I will want something with similar texture but does not have dairy.

Thanks Very Happy Very Happy

RE: stomach issues and yogurt?
Posted Thursday, September 13, 2012 at 8:51 PM

If you want that yogurt feeling, you just have to wait a bit... a few weeks, until your taste buds change. There are some nice coconut, soy, almond fermented "milks" on the market, but they are different. Most people don't like them if they try them too early. They are good, they just are not yogurt. You need to get that out of your system. Then try them and see which one you like. Everyone has their favourite nut milk, and everyone has their favourite fermented milk!

I find that a nice cup of hot milk, soy or almond, settles my stomach just like milk used.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Thursday, September 13, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Have you tried doy yoghurt?

Janeoverton

Posted Thursday, September 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Janeoverton

Posted Thursday, September 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Janeoverton

Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 7:24 AM

There are dairy-yogurt alternatives such as soy, almond, and coconut. However, no form of yogurt will help with diarrhea. If you have diarrhea, what traditionally helps is following the B.R.A.T diet: Bananas, Rice, Apple sauce, and Toast. Other low-fiber food products such as crackers will slow up digestion too.

Eventually, your gut will get used to the speed with which it now operates. Looser and more frequent stools are normal. But of course diarrhea is not.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 8:05 AM

THere's tummy soothing (warm milk) and there's digestive bolstering (like the probiotics in yougurt). I still find a bit of warm almond milk with a little drizzle of maple syrup or honey (yes, not 100% vegan but I like it) to be soothing. For the digestive stuff, many fermented foods will help - things like sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir (which isn't necessarily made with dairy), tempeh, etc.

But, BRAT's the way to go to resettle the bowels when they decide to clear away all the old residue that's been sitting there.

--DebR

Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 1:45 PM

How lucky that the BRAT diet is naturally vegan =D

Bananas help for stomach, really? That's fantastic, I'll try it.

Yes, I love rice any / all time of day haha.

Madeleine: I will have to try that idea of warm almond / soy or other non-dairy milk! sounds great =)

Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 3:15 PM

cuteddybears wrote:

How lucky that the BRAT diet is naturally vegan =D

Bananas help for stomach, really? That's fantastic, I'll try it.

Yes, I love rice any / all time of day haha.

Madeleine: I will have to try that idea of warm almond / soy or other non-dairy milk! sounds great =)

Bananas help to bind up diarrheal situations - and add some things like potassium back in that tend to get lost with that kind of situation.
--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 265 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org