21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Your biggest problem is....
Created on: 09/14/12 08:30 AM Views: 3774 Replies: 24
Your biggest problem is....
Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 8:30 AM

and no, I'm not looking for "my pain-in-the-butt-husband"! Maybe its not liking veggies, or cooking for one, or anything, really, that keeps you from staying on tract. Because odds are, if its a problem for you it may be a problem for someone else, and there are some good, experienced heads here that may be able to help. So I will start...mine is night-eating. A habit for sure, but it is crossing over into a serious one, one that is much more psychological, than about being hungry. I do fine all day, oatmeal, salad, beans and veggies, but come 9:00 I can eat a whole other meal, kind of a weird "reward" thing in a way. I know when you get into eating for "pleasure" and not for hunger, it is a problem, but a hard habit to break. So tell about your biggest problem, and help with mine.

RE: Your biggest problem is....
Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Evenings are a definite issue - not so much going away from vegan necessarily but just eating when I don't need to be eating but I do anyway. Sometimes I do need to (if bg is too low for bedtime) but most of the time I really need to not eat after about 8 pm but I do anyhow.

The other big problem is social situations when we're invited guests at someone's home. When we invite guests, we deliberately check on allergies, preferences, etc. but not many other people do. So we arrive and are greated with great gooey gobs of cheese and slabs of meat and white flour products made with hydrogenated fat. We normally have some sort of small snack beforehand but (a) that's not enough for a meal (b) it's hard to politely say "nope, not gonna eat ANYTHING you've prepared for us". Sometimes, I can work around things by piling up the tossed salad and whatever vegetable side dish(es) there are and make my plate look nice and full, but sometimes there is no salad and a scoop of overcooked green beans gets to looking pretty lonely there on the plate (not to mention my stomach being pretty empty still). Generally, I'll take the smallest possible portion and fill up with whatever else is available.
--DebR

Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM

My two big problems are: impulsive candy bar from the huge snack box near my cubicle and night eating.

I will pack the best vegan snack/lunch/snack and around 10:45 I grab a candy for no reason. I think it is work anxiety or just impatient for lunch. Writing this is helpful because I will pack another snack. An extra half banana is surely better than candy.

At night I have a glass of wine after dinner while watching TV. Then I start eating again erasing all the positive efforts of the day. I can't lose any weight if this continues.

Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM

My two big problems are: impulsive candy bar from the huge snack box near my cubicle and night eating.

I will pack the best vegan snack/lunch/snack and around 10:45 I grab a candy for no reason. I think it is work anxiety or just impatient for lunch. Writing this is helpful because I will pack another snack. An extra half banana is surely better than candy.

At night I have a glass of wine after dinner while watching TV. Then I start eating again erasing all the positive efforts of the day. I can't lose any weight if this continues.

Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Night eating is a problem for me as well. I can eat well and enough all day and I get trapped in the "reward" of it all as well. Though being rewarded for what I have no idea.

My other issue is craving fats. Nuts, nutbutters, tofu, etc...

I don't have troubles with social eating. I have celiac disease and a slip is far too easy to make, so I warn people ahead of time, please don't try to cook for me, it is too easy to have a common place thing make me sick with cross contamination or hidden ingredients. I either bring my own food, or I plan social activities around something other than food.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM

mostly sugar!

Although a lot of things are sweet already, and vegan by nature - my hardest challenge is dry fruit. i find that it can sometimes be tooo much sugar for me, then it makes me break out and i don't feel so great.

surprisingly not missing chocolates, never been a choco-fan! but i love sugar-covered ginger, dry mango, papaya, the list goes on. i'm trying to transition from this to the fresh fruit.

its weird, somehow the fresh fruit seems like too much so i avoid it but trying to make it a more regular part of my daily intake.

oh but i really miss my coffee with milk or cream...

Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM

One thing I don't understand. What's wrong with night-eating ?

Aren't we allowed to eat at night on the Kickstart ?

Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 3:13 PM

MidasSkyze wrote:

One thing I don't understand. What's wrong with night-eating ?

Aren't we allowed to eat at night on the Kickstart ?

For many people, night-eating is mindless snacking that packs on fat and/or calories that aren't needed - they're just a habit that goes with watching TV or reading a book or whatever. It's not eating after sunset that's the issue, it's eating after having had a full day of healthful food and adequate calories - eating to satisfy the mouth and brain rather than the needs of the body for additional nutrition.

--DebR

Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I see. Thanks for explaining, DebR.

Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 3:53 PM

and, it can just as easily be mid afternoon snacking for some people - that "after school snack" habit that many pick up when they're kids and just carry over into adulthood, the feeling that because it's 3 pm, it's time for a snack. Much of the time, it's a reaction to boredom and/or tiredness - thus it tends to be easy, ready-made things which are often high in calories and fat and low in anything resembling nutrition.

--DebR

Edited 09/14/12 3:58 PM
Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Yeah, well-said, Deb. I think about how I feel during the day, why I don't seem to have the same needs, and it always comes down to the fact I am busy and on the go. At night, even though not a huge tv person, we have dinner, watch the evening news and either read, or flip around the channels finding something worth watching. So I am sitting in my chair with my feet up, relaxing, and totally wanting to munch! Oh its always "healthy"... pb&j on ezekial, grapenuts, baked chips and salsa, even another plate of whatever I had for dinner...definitely a problem. And the more frustrated I get over doing that, the worse it is. Obviously, I do not have the answer, but I am trying to just be more "in the moment" aware, telling myself that I know I am not hungry, " so have an apple"! Also, since I am eating at nite, I really am not hungry in the am, so I think I will focus on trying to eat more,earlier in the day. We'll see! Evil or Very Mad Frustrating, but I am glad I am not alone. Though part of me believes that maybe I have fallen into the "healthy" person's prozac kind of thing!.

Posted Friday, September 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Interesting thread (IMO), DianeJ.

DianeJ wrote:

Also, since I am eating at nite, I really am not hungry in the am

Does this mean that things balance out, though. if you're eating less the following morning ?

Wash your back

Posted Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM

2 problems for me that are bad eating habits - regardless of what I am eating:

1. Eating twice in an evening - I either
a) snack so much when I get home from work and while cooking dinner that its a meal in itself and then I still eat dinner or
b) I eat/snack after my evening meal out of habit not hunger.
Either way calorie wise its two meals through out the evening. At least I stop when I go to bed and dont get up in the night to eat, but I didnt really need those crackers during the xyz show I was watching on TV or that piece of toast before bed!

It seems evening/night eating is a common theme. I am trying to be more mindful about what I am putting in my mouth and changing activities/routine. For example taking the dog for a longer walk means I am not in the kitchen to eat before dinner.

2. Portion size. I can happily eat enough for two people if its something I like. I have changed to using smaller plates which seems to help a bit.

Its a slow process but I am 7 pounds lighter than I was at the last kickstart. Only 28 more pounds to go to get me back to the weight I was 5 years ago. I really really really want to fit into my favourite denum jeans again.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 09/15/12 12:29 AM
Posted Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Theodore,interesting you would say that, as that is what I have believed. For example, everyone has their own individual meal schedules, depending on the time-line of their day, i.e. work, etc. I do not work out of the home, so I get up around 7-7:30,have coffee and read newspaper, exercise usually from around 9-10, then eat a healthy but filling "brunch" maybe around 11. My dh does the same, although sometimes eating even closer to noon. He bikes in the am, and I have begged him to eat a little something before he goes, but he says he cannot eat in the morning, and he has been doing this forever and is lean and healthy, so whatever. Anyway, we then eat an early dinner, 5-6:00. Sometimes, I may have a snack, 3:00ish. I rationalize that I have really only had 2 healthy meals at that point, so eating again, maybe at 9, should not be a huge problem,( Isn't that what the Europeans do?). But realistically, my first 2 meals are larger with more calories, and, when I start to snack at 9, I don't stop. I just want to eat and eat, going from one little thing to the next. I do not feel like I am trying to " fill some psychological hole", as much as I have just created a habit of tying all these together...sit, relax, tv or book, enjoy, and eat..as simplistic as that sounds. I am not really hungry, but there are very strong cravings. So my plan is to eat more, smaller meals thruout the day, hopefully to counteract that. So far, no good. But after reading Kiwi and Oceandog and others that have been around here for a while, that always seem to have it together, I don't feel quite so crazy.

Posted Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I am having the "evening problem" too. Not real bad, but on some days. What is funny though is I did not ever eat in the evenings before. Maybe I need more calories in the day, or my mind thinks I am missing something by not eating meat/fat in the evening.

Posted Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM

DianeJ wrote:

So far, no good. But after reading Kiwi and Oceandog and others that have been around here for a while, that always seem to have it together, I don't feel quite so crazy.

Hi Diane,

You are not alone and definately not crazy. I have learned so much about healthy eating over the past several kickstarts and reading books from people like Dr Barnard and Dr McDougall, but knowing and doing are two different things. I have my times of great healthy eating but there are still those days when it all falls apart. I keep coming back to the kickstarts for the support of this forum as it motivates me to just get back on that horse and ride even if I did get bucked off at some point. At least those days when it all falls apart are decreasing.

Best wishes for your journey to a new you.
christine (Kiwi)

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 09/15/12 5:18 PM
Posted Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 11:45 PM

My biggest problem is eating in restaurants when we travel. Outside of lettuce salads, there are very few vegan choices sio I end up eating all the bad stuff again. I suppose I could bring my own food but my husband and I enjoy trying different restaurants and he still eats meat and dairy...just not as much. I end up gaining weight.

Posted Saturday, September 15, 2012 at 11:45 PM

My biggest problem is eating in restaurants when we travel. Outside of lettuce salads, there are very few vegan choices sio I end up eating all the bad stuff again. I suppose I could bring my own food but my husband and I enjoy trying different restaurants and he still eats meat and dairy...just not as much. I end up gaining weight.

Posted Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 6:06 AM

DianeJ wrote:

when I start to snack at 9, I don't stop. I just want to eat and eat, going from one little thing to the next. I do not feel like I am trying to " fill some psychological hole", as much as I have just created a habit of tying all these together...sit, relax, tv or book, enjoy, and eat..as simplistic as that sounds.

Well I can relate to some extent, DianeJ. I'm a volume eater, and often eat past fullness. So much so, that I recently decided to buy a second membership to PCRM, because I eat enough food for two people.

But I've always been an overeater, even when I was eating animal products. The difference is now I'm on the PCRM diet (especially with the low/no-oil) I don't put on weight (don't hate me guys). But if I get complacent about oil, then my weight does go up, and quite quickly.

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 8:04 AM

kiwi wrote:

2 problems for me that are bad eating habits - regardless of what I am eating:

1. Eating twice in an evening - I either
a) snack so much when I get home from work and while cooking dinner that its a meal in itself and then I still eat dinner or
b) I eat/snack after my evening meal out of habit not hunger.
Either way calorie wise its two meals through out the evening. At least I stop when I go to bed and dont get up in the night to eat, but I didnt really need those crackers during the xyz show I was watching on TV or that piece of toast before bed!

It seems evening/night eating is a common theme. I am trying to be more mindful about what I am putting in my mouth and changing activities/routine. For example taking the dog for a longer walk means I am not in the kitchen to eat before dinner.

2. Portion size. I can happily eat enough for two people if its something I like. I have changed to using smaller plates which seems to help a bit.

Its a slow process but I am 7 pounds lighter than I was at the last kickstart. Only 28 more pounds to go to get me back to the weight I was 5 years ago. I really really really want to fit into my favourite denum jeans again.

I do the same thing! My morning bs was too high..too much rice!!!! I get hungry late at night!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 233 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org