21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Special K nourish
Created on: 01/24/14 01:50 PM Views: 831 Replies: 3
Special K nourish
Posted Friday, January 24, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Has anyone tried Special K nourish? I got one pack of it today to try. I read the ingredients and didn't see any animal products listed. The directions call for it to be made with hot water. The one I got is cranberry almond flavor. Is this cereal vegan?

Jen

RE: Special K nourish
Posted Monday, January 27, 2014 at 1:23 PM

dodink58 wrote:

Has anyone tried Special K nourish? I got one pack of it today to try. I read the ingredients and didn't see any animal products listed. The directions call for it to be made with hot water. The one I got is cranberry almond flavor. Is this cereal vegan?

Jen

I'll put my comments in bold:
WHOLE GRAIN BLEND (WHOLE GRAIN OATS, WHOLE GRAIN BARLEY, WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT, WHOLE GRAIN QUINOA), SUGAR (may be processed with bone char), DRIED CRANBERRIES (SUGAR (ditto), CRANBERRIES, GLYCERIN, CITRIC ACID), ALMONDS, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE (questionable - could be GMO and not a whole food), CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF OAT FIBER, SALT, NATURAL FLAVOR (no idea what's in this). VITAMINS AND MINERALS: TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, VITAMIN C (ASCORBIC ACID), IRON (FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE), VITAMIN E (ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE), NIACINAMIDE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN D3, VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN B6 (PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE), VITAMIN B1 (THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE), VITAMIN B2 (RIBOFLAVIN).

Since it sounds like an instant, you are losing a lot of the fiber and other goodness because it gets really processed down a lot - why do they need to ADD oat fiber to it if the oats are whole and already have plenty of fiber?

You might as well take whole grain rolled oats, barley, quinoa and cook them up yourself and add any kind of nuts and dried fruit you want. Cook up a big batch once and just reheat it as needed.

--DebR

Posted Monday, January 27, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I love your comments Bugsmom.

I heard that "natural flavor" means a small bit of something like fruit plus chemicals that were designed in a lab to make sure you get addicted to the food so you will eat more and more of it and of course, buy more and more of it.

Posted Monday, January 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM

"natural flavor" often includes soy lecithin - and that's usually GMO and heavily processed

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 102 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: crademan, zachyboopser

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org