21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Your Favorite Meal So Far?
Created on: 04/18/12 11:13 AM Views: 2756 Replies: 17
Your Favorite Meal So Far?
Posted Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Hello Kickstarter

What has been your favorite meal so far since you started the 21 day Vegan Kickstart?

Brigitte

Food Can Get You In Trouble or It Can Help You Thrive

www.WomenFoodCoach.com

RE: Your Favorite Meal So Far?
Posted Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Pita Pizzas.

Hummus, whole wheat pita, cracked black pepper, fresh thyme, sliced green olives, whole roasted garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, sliced roasted red peppers, sliced cippolini onions, sliced basil, sliced Roma tomatoes, Peppadew peppers

Wash your back

Posted Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Theodore that sounds wonderul... I wonder if I could find a GF pita?

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I know that La Tortilla Factory does a GF tortilla, that could be a good alternative to whole wheat pita

Brigitte

Food Can Get You In Trouble or It Can Help You Thrive

www.WomenFoodCoach.com

Posted Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I've been reading all the recipes and tips, etc., for motivation, but actually haven't tried any recipes from this Kickstart, most are too spicy for me or things I absolutely wouldn't eat or am allergic to...

But, I'm still following the recipes I picked up from my first Kickstart I did in January and my favorite meal by far is the first one I tried there, Hoppin' John with kale. As a matter of fact, I just made some for lunch. Yummy!

Posted Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Theodore,
The pita pizzas sound good: what are cippolini onions and what are Peppadew peppers? I never heard of them.

Brigitte, what is your favorite meal so far?

I don't care for asparagus but I found I loved the Fettucine with Asparagus, Peas, and Lemon. I like asparagus now.

Also, the Chai Spice Pancakes tasted like ginger snaps. Awesome.

Edited 04/18/12 5:00 PM
Posted Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Portobello fajitas. I actually made these already, but the kickstart recipe helped me ratchet down the fat!

Posted Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I make my own corn tortillas, so I could probably use those as well. I saw a "pizza" oval that was GF at the co-op the other day, I will need to take a peak and see if it is vegan and try this! Smile

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Two favorite kickstart meals are the white bean hummus with fresh thyme and basil, skipped the bread and just put it on top of cucumber slices, and the blue corn chip salad. I was lucky to find the blue corn chips on sale.
My husband doesn't mind eating my current fast food: sweet potato and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Posted Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Oceandog wrote:

Theodore that sounds wonderul... I wonder if I could find a GF pita?

Oceandog,

Your my fiance and I love you, but I haven't eaten one gluten-free meal in the last 12 years, and get nervous even contemplating such a thing.

Wash your back

Posted Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 3:49 AM

veganer wrote:

Theodore,
The pita pizzas sound good: what are cippolini onions and what are Peppadew peppers? I never heard of them.

It's great to hear from you as always, Veganer. You're one of the few people in my life that I can really trust.

Unfortunately, due to past events, I no longer answer questions about cippolini onions or peppadew peppers on the forum.

Theodore

Wash your back

Posted Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Theodore,

Thanks for compliments. As far as no longer answering questions about cippolini onions and pepperdew peppers due to past events, I understand.

I am sometimes "googled out" due to past extensive googling in preparation for too much volunteer work (which I recently gave up). The good news is that on the website www.foodsubs.com/Onionsdry.html, it says cippolini onions are the same as Borettana onions. Pronunciation: chip-ah-LEE-nee These round, flat Italian onions are about one to two inches in diameter.

And according to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppadew, Peppadew is the brand name of sweet piquanté peppers grown in the Limpopo province of South Africa. This type of piquante pepper was first discovered in early 1993 and introduced to market later that same decade. The name is derived from "Pepper" and "dew".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppadew

That leaves the remaining question....what is Brigitte's favorite meal so far? and...anyone else's favorite meal?

Edited 04/19/12 6:21 AM
Posted Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 10:33 AM

theodore wrote:

Oceandog,

Your my fiance and I love you, but I haven't eaten one gluten-free meal in the last 12 years, and get nervous even contemplating such a thing.

Theodore ~ I love you too and a love like ours doesn't require you to eat GF, you eat vegan dear and that is enough for me! Smile

Posted Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Oceandog, Veganer

Many thanks for your understanding and kind / informative responses. They're very much appreciated, and not just by me I'm sure.

Interesting thread in general I think. Not easy to pick a favourite meal.

Theodore

Wash your back

Posted Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM

My favorite is the black bean chili because it is so easy to make and it tastes so good. I also like the hummus wrap with sundried tomatoes. I like to add broccoli slaw
(prepared, shredded broccoli)found in the supermarket.
Another thing I like to make are my own corn chips - yum

Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 at 8:24 AM

I liked almost all of the meals, but my favorite is Moroccon bean stew and it may be a good one again for today if you are living in the northeast

Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Yesim wrote:

I liked almost all of the meals, but my favorite is Moroccon bean stew and it may be a good one again for today if you are living in the northeast

Definitely a soup day - looks like bean and barley soup. We've got white beans and a little bit of black beans already cooked up and in the fridge; we've got soup stock already prepared; potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic; barley in the pantry. Hubby may also throw together some whole wheat drop biscuits to go with it!

Need to soak some beans tonight so we can have chili tomorrow because it's still supposed to be cool and rainy.

--Deb R

Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Hi Deb R,

Maybe you have not seen one of my postings where I talked about using a pressure cooker for cooking beans. In fact, I have just cooked chickpeas and will be cooking black beans for the Moroccan stew. BTW, I also used a bit of baking soda (as suggested by Dr.Barnard in his book) but not too much as b. soda has sodium in it and we would like to watch our sodium intake.

1 cup dry beans
3 cups of water
3 Tbsp oil

Usually cook it for 10-15 minutes. Some beans, such as black ones, seem to cook faster than the others. I usually use this if I have to do things in a hurry, but otherwise I like to soak them the nigh before.

Edited 04/23/12 4:59 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 106 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org