21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Should we supplement with any vitamins?
Created on: 01/10/12 01:03 PM Views: 1625 Replies: 6
Should we supplement with any vitamins?
Posted Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM

First time with no dairy. People tell me to either talk to a doctor before I cut out animal products or to take supplements. Are calcium vitamin b12 or any other supplements necessary during kick start? What about if I continue afterwards without planned recipes?

RE: Should we supplement with any vitamins?
Posted Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 2:33 PM

mangogogo wrote:

First time with no dairy. People tell me to either talk to a doctor before I cut out animal products or to take supplements. Are calcium vitamin b12 or any other supplements necessary during kick start? What about if I continue afterwards without planned recipes?

B12 is the only thing you won't be getting with a good, balanced vegan diet that you'd get with animal foods. That's what the kickstart is designed to do - help folks learn what a balanced vegan plan looks like. At our house, I like to use a simple bit to keep an eye on things - a bean, a green, a grain, then add some color. If the whole plate is monochromatic, stuff is missing. Not only is a colorful plate more appetizing and attractive, but it helps make sure you're getting a good balance and variety of foods. Dark green leafies are a good source of calcium, for example. Also, if you're in a winter climate, you might want to double check the level of vitamin D you are getting - most plant milks and whole grain cereals add vitamin D, but if you're eating basic rolled oats in oatmeal that wouldn't be there, for example.

As with anything, your individual situation will vary so you need to determine what is best for you (especially as far as supplementing goes).

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM

For me personally.. i take a multi everyday. I take a b-complex every 2-3 days.
I used to do that before my plant based diet.

I have added a d every now and then when i don't get outside for a few days.

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 6:11 AM

B-12. According to my Doctor vegans and people over 50 should have their B-12 checked and probably supplement. When I have my annual check up and labs done she also checks for B-12 and D. She says that most people over 50 have a reduced absorption rate for B-12.

Vikki ~

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I'm 51 (ugh) and only take b12 every week or so. I just had all my numbers checked and my b12 is great. My D is low, I do walk outside a lot with arms and legs exposed, but it's not enough. I really need to supplement my d and calcium. I have read that you don't need to take b12 every day.

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

txdoglover wrote:

I'm 51 (ugh) and only take b12 every week or so. I just had all my numbers checked and my b12 is great. My D is low, I do walk outside a lot with arms and legs exposed, but it's not enough. I really need to supplement my d and calcium. I have read that you don't need to take b12 every day.

Either a little each day or a larger dose less frequently. Whatever works best for you - some folks do better at remembering to do something every day. Other folks prefer to just take a larger dose once a week and not have to deal with it every day. From what I've read, the body can store B12 and use it bit by bit as needed. Hubby and I take a B complex with C every day. I'm thinking of adding D as well but we do eat cereals and plant milk that have added D, so I'm kinda on the fence. I was taking a multi but there's so much in there that is 'excess' to what we need really, so why pay for extra stuff if I can target what we need.

BTW greenleafy.org has a really cool nutrition poster (veg based). We got one years and years ago and have it on the kitchen/dining room wall (big eat-in kitchen space). It's really pretty and colorful. My son has always loved to look up what's "in" whatever we're eating. And sometimes he'll say things like "I think I need some vitamin C, what has vitamin C?" and go check the chart. He used to go to the chart when he was looking for a snack and try to build a snack that had as many as possible of the categories on the chart (like having PB and strawberry jam on whole wheat bread to get a whole variety of nutrients rather than just PB or just jam etc).

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 10:07 AM

mangogogo wrote:

Hey Mangogogo (what a fun handle!),

Yes on the b12, but you don't have to rush out today, most likely, and get some as most of us do have reserves yet as a vegan, should be addressed and just to be safe sooner rather than later. This is of course barring unknown deficiencies as mentioned. It's important to note with the b12 that many times the problem is with absorbtion rather than getting sources.

Here are a couple of articles that address the supplement and the b12 questions:

Is it possible we should be taking fewer supplements?

Do you need to supplement vitamin b12 on a plant-based diet?

Both from the desk of the prolific Dr. John McDougall!

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 89 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org