21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Farewell
Created on: 01/10/12 11:01 PM Views: 3299 Replies: 15
Farewell
Posted Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I just wanted to say the diet has been very interesting and has changed how I eat. I find myself leaning toward more healthy choices.

What killed it for me was the discussion that honey bees were animals or living life and honey was a bad thing. With that it opened up a huge can of worms for me. Bread, beer, the whole fermentation process is used with yeast which is a living creature. Insects. Escargot. The more I thought about it the more stuff I couldn't eat. Since I am the creative variety type this will not work for me.

I wish you all the best.

As for meat, I thought this would be a very good story to share. What happens if you take a hamburger put in on a shelf and check back on it in a year? Nothing changes... http://thestir.cafemom.com/food_party/130975/cheeseburger_that_stayed_exactly_the

~Diana~

RE: Farewell
Posted Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Diana,

I can't help but think maybe you are "throwing the baby out with the bath." Just because one approach or opinion is not working for your or them, does not make it the only one.

You will be doing you body and the planet a HUGE favor by not eating meat and dairy. Please don't get caught up in the little stuff right now, as you grow in any knowledge something that worked for you today may not tomorrow.

I would suggest a bit of patience with yourself and tolerance for others and their opinions. You are on a worthy path. No two paths are identical. We each get to a place where we need to make decisions on what is best for us. It is also important to remember this is YOUR journey therefore it gives you the right to modify this journey to the place you need to be and progress at your own speed.

Best wishes,

Kym

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Well sad to hear. Thanks for your honesty and letting us know rather than just disappearing and not posting any more with no explanation.

I am with Oceandog in regards to the baby and bathwater comment. I choose this way of eating for health reasons. I eat honey at times as to me it is a natural sweetner. Rather honey than aspartaime artificial type sweetners. I wear a few leather products that I have had long before vegan eating (jacket, shoes). This means I am not vegan in the strickist 'activist' sense but so what. I do what I can and believe my choices are the best for my health and helps the planet in some way.

From memory I think you posted that you started the kickstart as a challenge. I dont know the exact terms of the challenge but perhaps you just werent ready to change or had the wrong reason to try. For personal change to work for any length of time it has to be something we choose for ourselves, not something others have asked us to do. That never works long term.

There is room for moderation in the kickstart and in life. I believe every extra vegetable eaten and every meal without meat (even if only one meal a week) is a step toward better health.

Best wishes
Christine

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 3:30 AM

sorry - double post.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/11/12 3:31 AM
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 5:08 AM

I thought the honey discussion was pretty open and flexible. There are many "vegans" that still eat honey. Each person here has individually grown to their own place in the spectrum of what it means to eat a plant based diet. There are beginners to old pros. Those who are strict to those who aren't (honey for one example). To feel that you need to leave, that this way of eating won't work for you because of one discussion seems a bit of an over reaction. As with anything involving human beings everyone has their opinion, their way of doing things and so should you find what works best for you. One of the things I enjoy about this forum is the different opinions, ideas and discussions from other people. I don't embrace everything that is said, but I enjoy the interaction, take what works for me and leave the rest.

Vikki ~

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I am sorry to see you go.

I didn't follow the honey discussion, so I don't know how strong it was. It is just one position. I hope you reconsider.

There are three strong motivations for starting a vegan diet: health, ecology and animal rights. Old pros generally have gotten to where they are through a path over time which has had its twists and turns, starting from one motivation, growing to include or changing to another. I seldom hear them preaching the exact position they find themselves at on this path. Newer vegans sometimes, and some of them only, can tend to insist that their motivation is the only true and valid reason for eating vegan, and even insist that people who come from another starting point don't have the right to call themselves vegan. They often express this strongly, and often repel more people than they attract. It is the nature of human change. They too will grow and change, but telling them that they will usually makes it take longer.

For heaven's sake, we kill worms when we till the ground to plant carrots. Veganism is an ideal which is only possible to strive toward, if you choose. My position is that it is impossible to live a perfect vegan life, and I do call myself vegan.

This whole problem is why some wise and well known advocates of the vegan diet are calling it plant-strong or whole food plant based. The vegan word brings up discussions which get political. That is not everyone's perspective.

You have the right to get where you are going by a route you choose. Everything you learn is tucked into the knowledge you already have, and seen from that perspective. Honey is one of those BIG discussions about a LITTLE detail, within the context of what you were trying to do. As I said, I hope you reconsider. Even if you don't at this moment, I hope you come back to it at a later point. Good luck on your journey.

- madeline

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 9:16 AM

supercrazybitch wrote:

Insects. Escargot. The more I thought about it the more stuff I couldn't eat.

Wait a second. Are insects and escargot unsuitable for vegans ?

Well in that case, I'm out too.

So long ladies.

Wash your back

Edited 01/11/12 9:18 AM
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 9:25 AM

There he goes again! LOL We are going to strangle you!

I wonder if she has left and has not even seen any of the responses.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 11:17 AM

You are right, she may have gone already. Too bad. Most of you made excellent points above. I have been at this over 20 years and I can honestly say my path has twist and turned all over the place. Sometimes even revisiting places I had already been.

Part of my path finally realized that this is about a lot more than just a food label. (Furhman has something to say about labels..Smile ) At any rate, I have changed and grown and even taken 3 or 4 steps back at times in order to find that sweet spot that works for me. Not anyone else.

I got on this path because I did not like some meats and it tortured me thinking about the animals. I then got in to the environmental aspect and then because of illness, into the health part.

The health part led me down a much more narrow path of viewing all aspects of my life, cleaners, plastic, use of microwaves, natural fibers etc... I mentioned this on another thread and may have come off as an "elitist" which wasn't my intent. I was trying to give examples of how things change for us. I change my mind and make too many bad choices to be an elitist! lol

While my health has tremendously improved, it is something I have to really stick to or my health slides a bit. All in all, it is a bigger picture. I may eat honey (as stated above) instead of something artificial or empty, or avoid sugars all together. I may not buy leather, but keep my leather I have had for years (less waste). I don't use plastics or chemical cleaners, this helps my body and the earth. All of these things took years to come to terms with and only I can figure them out for me. My ultimate path (right now!) is about doing no harm. To me or anything else. Not quite a Buddhist, still christian based, but a healthy blend perhaps. It is above all about growth and BALANCE!

I think it was also wise to point out that leaving so quickly may indicate that they were not ready for this path just yet. I hope the lovely people here planted enough seeds to harvest at the perfect time for this person.

Theodore, please don't leave. I am not proud, I'll beg. This forum would lose a lot of interest without you. Also, FYI, here in Humboldt County, California, we have what are called banana slugs. I wonder if you would enjoy them. They are much larger than insects and escargo... tee hee Wink

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Edited 01/11/12 11:20 AM
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Oceandog wrote:

Theodore, please don't leave. I am not proud, I'll beg. This forum would lose a lot of interest without you. Also, FYI, here in Humboldt County, California, we have what are called banana slugs. I wonder if you would enjoy them. They are much larger than insects and escargo... tee hee Wink

And slugs don't have that pesky shell like snails! Wink

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Yes I still get notifications to my email so ya I read the comments.

I never had a banana slug but I imagine it would be pretty tasty.

I'm certainly not ready for this way of eating. It fits really bad with my lifestyle. I'm big on variety. Grew up on a farm so the whole animal thing I just don't get where you people come from.

I am done though. Sticking mostly vegetarian. Vegan is too hardcore for me.

Ana won. I failed the challenge and will never be able to hold up in a debate with her. That's okay, there is other "used to be" vegans out there that can get my back.

Peace

~Diana~

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 12:38 PM

HI Diana..
we wish you wellness.. there used to be an old confucious saying about.. go to the well take what you can carry.. when you are ready for more.. come back to the well.

perhaps you have something new to use for your vegetarian lifestyle? a new recipe? a new awareness? It doesn't have to be all or nothing. If you are ever ready for more .. you can try again.... or not. At least you are not eating meat.

peace...

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 2:13 PM

[The more I thought about it the more stuff I couldn't eat. Since I am the creative variety type this will not work for me.]

A vegan diet isn't for everyone, but anyone who has a desire to change WILL be able to do it successfully. It is definitely the diet of "thinkers" because it takes some serious thought and dedication to change.

The desire to change has to come first - that is the mental part of the whole thing. It can easily be compared to kicking any other "habit".

For me and my family becoming vegan was an evolutionary thing. The more we learned the more we desired and really wanted to change.

And creativity? Oh my goodness! Anyone who has been vegan for anytime can certainly tell you that our creativity is endless when it comes to the many ways we have of preparing vegetables, grains, pastas, etc. Our creativity with our food choices has no boundaries!

No one says you can't eat whatever you want to eat! When people attempt to challenge my choices I laugh at them and tell them that I reserve the right to pick and chose my own battles and how I win them and I won't interfere in theirs. That usually ends the discussion.

We ate honey right up until last year but have since switched to agave. Not because someone "told" us that we had to make the change, but we changed because WE wanted to make the change. Some choices come fast while others have to be weighed, considered and pondered - I get that. No one says that you have to follow any "rules". Some people only pick one day to go meatless!

I try to never let fear of rules and mandates (whether real or imagined), overpower my personal desire of seeking better health for me and my family.

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM

BCMomma3 wrote:

For me and my family becoming vegan was an evolutionary thing.

For us too. First, we cut out red meat. Then, we cut meats except fish. Then all meats but kept dairy and eggs (ovo lacto vegetarian). Then subbed out plant milk for dairy but kept cheeses and eggs (and yogurt). Then the kickstart and I cut all but one Greek style yogurt per day and one cup of instant cocoa per day (really dark chocolate, organic, but contains powdered milk). Then the yogurt went and now the cocoa isn't agreeing with me (and hubby had some last night and it didn't agree with him either) - looks like one by one the dairy items are leaving.

Being able to move slowly and learn a bit before leaping definitely helped. And, sometimes, there'd be a step or two back before going forward - this past fall, it was cheese trying to make a comeback.

Key, too, is exactly that creativity and curiousity that was mentioned. Who would just walk up and pick up celery root, y'know? My son called it 'alien stomach' the first time we bought it. It's pretty gnarly. Tasty, but gnarly looking. But, we try to at least attempt a new food or recipe/combination once a month if not more (summer at the farmer's market has lots of options!) Then we adapt things to our tastes, add a bit of this, sub out for a bit of that, combine some other things, adjust the seasoning, and on we go.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 3:03 PM

[Key, too, is exactly that creativity and curiousity that was mentioned. Who would just walk up and pick up celery root, y'know? My son called it 'alien stomach' the first time we bought it.]

LOVED THIS from Deb R.! Exactly what I mean! This last week when the egg-less sandwich came up I thought - oh no way! I was certain that I couldn't handle even though I love tofu. Tried it and found out that our whole family loved it but wouldn't have even tried it had we not gone for the 21 day challenge and made up our mind to try all of the recipes at least one time.

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 3:04 PM

[Key, too, is exactly that creativity and curiousity that was mentioned. Who would just walk up and pick up celery root, y'know? My son called it 'alien stomach' the first time we bought it.]

LOVED THIS from Deb R.! Exactly what I mean! This last week when the egg-less sandwich came up I thought - oh no way! I was certain that I couldn't handle even though I love tofu. Tried it and found out that our whole family loved it but wouldn't have even tried it had we not gone for the 21 day challenge and made up our mind to try all of the recipes at least one time.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 455 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org