21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Soup Recipes
Created on: 01/11/12 07:34 AM Views: 1302 Replies: 4
Soup Recipes
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 7:34 AM

I'm looking for some good soup recipes using lentils, root vegetables and beans. Can you guys share your favorites with me?

RE: Soup Recipes
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 7:46 AM

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/02/rainy-day-lentil-soup.html

Here is a good lentil, carrot, potato soup. It uses a pressure cooker, but you can cook it without.

This website has tons of great low fat vegan recipes. It's the first place I go when I'm looking for a recipe.

Vikki ~

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Vat wrote:

I'm looking for some good soup recipes using lentils, root vegetables and beans. Can you guys share your favorites with me?

Sure - dice the root veggies into chunks of similar size (whether you want 1/2 inch or 1 inch chunks, whatever, just make sure they're all about the same size so they cook evenly). We cook the beans separately (we usually do several meals' worth of beans at once then package into 'meal' size portions in the fridge so we can grab them at will). Veggie stock and/or water (if you use water, you'll want to add aromatics like onion, celery, garlic, etc, the stuff you'd use to make stock yourself). Bring to a boil and add root veg chunks. Bring temp back up then simmer until the veggies are about halfway done. Then add the lentils - do about half the amount of lentils you'd use if you were cooking them by themselves so that they don't overwhelm the soup. Continue simmering until veggies and lentils are done. Add beans and just heat through for a minute or two. No real "recipe" - we just mix and match whatever ingredients we've got on hand. We usually pick either lentils or beans rarely both. And, we generally also pick a grain of some sort to add - quinoa, brown rice, barley, etc. That way it's got everything right in one pot. Same type process with the grains - add about half what you would normally add for the amount of liquid (so if you'd do rice at 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, and you've got 4 cups of liquid in the soup, you'd do 1 cup of rice). The key, really, is to know about how long the veggies take to cook. Because then you work backwards from that. If it takes 30 minutes to cook all the root veggies, and it takes 20 minutes to cook the quinoa, then you'd let the veggies simmer for 10 minutes then add the quinoa. That way it's all done at the same time.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I make a clean out the frig soup. I did start by making a sweet potato lentil soup which had curry as the base and I just kept altering it with what I happened to have in the house. I use a pressure cooker for all my soups. I soak beans overnight if using. I braise onions, garlic, celery in a bit of water then add carrots sliced and curry powder. Then I add 2 cups of washed lentils (or the soaked beans), sometimes I'll add some barley or wheat berries (and reduce the equivalent amount of lentils). Then I add 9 cups water and bring to the pressure in the pressure cooker. I turn off the heat and let the pressure drop naturally and add the sweet potatoes and give a good stir. Bring back to pressure. Then when sweet potatoes are cooked and pressure falls I add a can of diced tomatoes and spinach that wilts in the heat still in the pot. We love it.

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM

My yummy potato soup:
5potatos chopped
5c water
1 onion diced
1 stalk celery diced very small
1c regular soymilk
1/4 c flour
1tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1T garlic powder

Directions
In large pot. Chop potatos, onions, and celery. Add water and bring to a boil. When potatos are tender. Mix milk and flour together until smooth add to potatos also add all spices turn to low and let simmer. Once it is thick it is ready to eat. This makes 8 3/4cup serving. Delicious, and even good reheated the next day.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 283 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org