21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Summertime
Created on: 06/08/12 11:48 AM Views: 1293 Replies: 5
Summertime
Posted Friday, June 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM

We're heading out on a rustic vacation in a few weeks (at a camp ground, but we'll be staying in a cottage with a kitchen, electricity, and indoor plumbing, in addition to a campfire for cooking). We LOVE grilling pizza over the fire (we use homemade whole wheat tortillas, top them will yummy veggies and such then crisp them up on the fire). What are some of your favorite outdoor foods?

--Deb R

RE: Summertime
Posted Friday, June 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM

blend some pieces of watermelon with some cocoa powder....its a delicious drink

Posted Friday, June 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Enjoy your vacation! I think my favorite food in the summer is tasty tomatoes Smile I also like what we call "shepherd's salad" which is prepared with tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers (italian frying peppers are the best) and red onions along with chopped parsley and sometimes mint and olives. The dressing is a mixture of lemon juice, olive oil (I have to use some on this) and sumac http://www.amazon.com/Sumac-Powder-Culinary-Spice-8oz/dp/B005IAVWCM You can always add some salt to the dressing too. The trick is preparing the salad a little bit before you are ready to eat, so that all the flavors mix. Oh, my mouth is getting watery Smile

BTW, sumac is my go to herb in all of my salads. Its reddish speckles look so nice in potato salad, which you can make with minimal ingredients of cubed boiled potatoes, scallions/onions, parsley/dill and the dressing I mentioned above.

Posted Friday, June 8, 2012 at 5:43 PM

The pizzas sound good. I like to fix BLTs. I use an eggplant sliced then brush on a sauce of paprika, cider vinegar, molasses, oil, water, garlic pdwr then I dehydrate it so I have a lot of slices to use as "bacon". I use hummas and mustard with the tomato and lettuce on toast.

Posted Tuesday, June 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM

summertime idea: I have been freezing pieces of watermelon in plastic wrap. I take one with me on the road and keep it in a plastic lunch container with a small ice pack. So in this summer heat I have a refreshing delicious treat. Try it, its great.

Posted Tuesday, June 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

frozen grapes and watermelon are favorites already around here as a refreshing snack - and frozen watermelon can get briefly whirred in the blender for a slushy type concoction

I also use it as edible ice cubes when bringing a sandwich or wrap somewhere (like a picnic) - by the time the sandwich is eaten, the fruit is thawed but still cool and refreshing. Grapes will get a little soft when thawed but not too badly.

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 305 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org