21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Away from home this weekend
Created on: 01/11/12 10:55 AM Views: 652 Replies: 1
Away from home this weekend
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Help. I am going to be out of town visiting with my in-laws this weekend. They are in their 80's. I don't want to get into a discussion with them about my decision to become vegan or tell them in advance. I'm wondering what to do? What should I bring in case there is nothing vegan friendly in their meals? We are taking them out to dinner one night, so I should be able to find something vegan friendly on the menu.

Thank you.

RE: Away from home this weekend
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Since you say you don't want to get into a discussion, then don't. Just eat what you want and offer no explanation.
Will they even notice?

If you like soy/almond milk w/cereal, just stop at the supermarket on the way in & buy it. Just say that is what you eat every morning and don't want to put them out. We do that when we stop by our daughter.. she doesn't drink coffee, but has a coffee pot.. we buy coffee, soy milk, kashi cereal... WE did that before even being on a plant based diet.

If you go out to eat, go where there are vegan options.. perhaps a chinese place that has tofu.. order tofu curry & veggies...gush on how much you love curry.

Not everyone offers an explaination of what they choose to eat. Just eat what you like, that is what everyone else does right? Just make sure there are options for you.

lunch.. make yourself an easy bean taco or bean buritto. non-vegans eat them.. so they might not even notice you are not eating meat. or eat a large salad.. for lunch and burittos for dinner.. veggie soup..
Just make your food look like something familar to them and it might not even come up in conversation.. talk about them.. what they have been up to.. or the holidays.. or your last vacation. .. so many other things to talk about.

cch

Edited 01/11/12 12:34 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 600 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org