21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Away from home this weekend
Created on: 01/11/12 10:55 AM Views: 1088 Replies: 3
Away from home this weekend
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Help. I am going to be out of town visiting with my in-laws this weekend. They are in their 80's. I don't want to get into a discussion with them about my decision to become vegan or tell them in advance. I'm wondering what to do? What should I bring in case there is nothing vegan friendly in their meals? We are taking them out to dinner one night, so I should be able to find something vegan friendly on the menu.

Thank you.

RE: Away from home this weekend
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM

KathyL wrote:

Help. I am going to be out of town visiting with my in-laws this weekend. They are in their 80's. I don't want to get into a discussion with them about my decision to become vegan or tell them in advance. I'm wondering what to do? What should I bring in case there is nothing vegan friendly in their meals? We are taking them out to dinner one night, so I should be able to find something vegan friendly on the menu.

Thank you.

What do they usually eat? I know that over time, the way my parents (dad in his 80s mom upper 70s) has changed. Nowadays, they tend to eat a larger meal mid day and smaller at dinner. Breakfast is oatmeal or cheerios. They tend to do more veggies than they used to for various reasons (not least of which is my dad's heart attack a few years ago. startled the doctors a bit because he only needed a single bypass - they were used to double, triple, quadruple, his was 'too easy' LOL).

Oatmeal or toast with jam and juice or tea would work for breakfasts. Bring along a good pancake recipe maybe - hubby makes pancakes without milk, eggs, etc. just basically flour (whole wheat plus buckwheat), water, a little oil, baking powder and not much else. Nice breakfast that can be vegan without anyone the wiser. "I just got this recipe from a friend and I'd love to try it out - you up for pancakes?"
Lunch - sandwiches are pretty easy, if nothing else, lettuce and tomato would tide you over, add a piece of fruit or even have a PBJ if necessary.
Dinner - if they'll do rice and veggies as 'sides' to their meat, you can just leave off the meat. If they tend toward lots of casseroles and such where it's all mixed, t hat's a little harder.

But, if you're going to be there for the weekend, that's only what, 2 dinners maybe (and going out for one of those at that), 2 or 3 breakfasts and lunches, it shouldn't be all that major an issue.

Oh, and you can always say "doctor says I need to cut meat and dairy for my health yadda yadda..." no need to go philosophical or anything. "Doctor says" is often a free pass to adjust what you're doing.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 1:27 PM

And, there are lots of ways to eat without meat that most folks don't realize are at least vegetarian if not vegan. Pasta with marinara is vegan (just tomato sauce and herbs). Some Italian restaurants/pizzarias even have cheeseless pizzas now because lactose intolerance is so 'visible'. Asian cuisine has lots of options (just check to make sure there's no fish sauce and such). And even Tex-Mex - bean burritos, fajitas, etc. can easily be vegan without anyone paying much attention. Even chain restaurants have vegan options - TGI Friday has (or had) a really good spaghetti squash marinara, yummy, vegan, and on their regular menu! If you know the restaurants in the area, check online and see if you can plan ahead for what to order. And, as was mentioned in the other thread, bring along or pick up on the way a few simple "oh, I'm just a creature of habit and this is what I always have for breakfast, didn't want to be a bother..."

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I always check out happy cow for vegan places when I travel, read the reviews, and you can know what you're in for.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 478 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org