21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: is it true, cheese can be like a drug?
Created on: 03/17/14 01:22 AM Views: 813 Replies: 5
is it true, cheese can be like a drug?
Posted Monday, March 17, 2014 at 1:22 AM

As I have been trying to change my taste buds and get away from too much sugar, many of my classmates suggested cheese and say it's good because it's low or zero sugar. However that doesn't make it an option...it is still dairy!

But more than this, I think there was a post awhile back about how cheese especially can be an addiction, powerful than any drug! I don't know is it true, I haven't had cheese in so long, so i would not remember. But I do recall on this vegan kickstart, maybe last month..someone mentioned that cheese is a more concentrated form of dairy than any milk or cream, so it has a more addictive property.

RE: is it true, cheese can be like a drug?
Posted Monday, March 17, 2014 at 6:38 AM

Bonjour!

France has over 650 excellent cheeses. One needs to walk very quickly past them. You just taste a little, and all of a sudden, you will be wanting more. I agree that cheese is addictive.

As they say in France, "les carottes sont cuites" if you put any of that into your mouth.

All cholesterol is avoided in our household due to a family member suffering from hypothyroidism.

Even with the cholesterol exclusion, their cholesterol bounces back and forth between 198-236-200. The rest of the family's cholesterol readings are 160 for our 90 year old, and 150 or less for the rest of the family.

What can be done to increase metabolism if one has hypothyroidism?

They eat very well but their system is not moving out the bad LDL cholesterol. Their last LDL reading was 153, and their cholesterol reading was 236.

Posted Monday, March 17, 2014 at 7:18 AM

Yes, cheese does have properties that make it addictive. Read lots more here: http://www.pcrm.org/good-medicine/2003/summer/breaking-the-food-seduction.

As for upping your metabolism to combat hypothyroidism, I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. A hypothyroid will have an underlying cause. You can read more here http://www.nutritionmd.org/consumers/diabetes_thyroid/hypothyroidism_nutrition.html

That isn't too say eating well isn't a great idea for someone with a hypothyroid, because it is! Doing everything possible to keep your cholesterol down is key, and yes, that means keeping saturated fat low (mostly found in animal products) and keeping fiber up (only found in plants!).

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, March 17, 2014 at 10:24 AM

My cholesterol levels are great (both LDL and HDL in the low to mid 70s without medication) and I am hypothyroid - so there is not necessarily a direct connection between the two. Keeping added cholesterol out is good but the body makes cholesterol as needed, as it is programmed to (cholesterol is necessary for certain metabolic processes). I know someone who could eat only lettuce and drink plain water and run marathon distances and still have high cholesterol - it's hereditary as well as dietary.

--DebR

Posted Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Thank you Susan! This is definitely helpful to read - I am glad that it wasn't just me reacting crazy to the dairy and chocolate of the past! I was wondering why I couldn't just say no, for so long, to the tempting chocolate bars always there at the check-out lanes!

So, even in small amounts of dairy, this morphine-like tendency can be there? It was so hard for me to break the coffee creamer ( half and half ) routine, but i didn't understand why since it was only a little bit in my coffee, not like a full latte? but now i see how addictive dairy can truly be. Thank you again!

Posted Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 6:54 AM

I think even a little bit can trigger a craving or feed an addiction, as it were. I have heard people argue different philosophies about addiction. Some say that you can be an alcoholic and still have a little bit of alcohol. I really couldn't say what's right. But I do know with something that's not good for you (alcohol, tobacco, cheese), I'd probably stick to the original theory and consume zero!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 337 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org