21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Thanks and a suggestion
Created on: 08/30/13 09:08 AM Views: 707 Replies: 4
Thanks and a suggestion
Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 at 9:08 AM

First a big thank you to PCRM for providing this website; all the healthy recipes, celebrity tips, and this community forum to everyone. Staples like dried beans, grains, & nuts are usually available all year long at reasonable prices. But vegetables and fruits tend to be a little pricey when bought out of season.

It would be very helpful to be able to search the Kickstart recipe data base for recipes that use specific fresh vegetables and fruits (such as green beans, eggplants, peaches, tomatoes, peppers, berries, okra, squash, etc.) when they are in season, plentiful, at the peak of flavor, and less expensive.

email
RE: Thanks and a suggestion
Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM

It's hard to determine seasonal and local foods for a program used in not just different States but other parts of the world.

Just remember that most vegetables are interchangeable and should be adjusted to accommodate varying tastes, costs, and availability. Same with fruits, grains, beans, etc.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Just wish to acknowledge and restate the Thank You, PCRM...and thanks, too, to all forum participants Very Happy

Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Hi,
I take my favorite recipes and scan or upload them into Evernote. Evernote is free.

Then I put them into files.. like sauces, dinners, salads.

One of the best features about Evernote is I TAGGED my recipes. Avocado, chickpeas, corn, kale.. whatever. So I just click on the tag and all the recipes that have been tagged w/avocado come up!

I also travel a bit.. Evernote is cloud based. I can log in anywhere and have my recipes with me.

oh and did I say it's FREE?

Some applications out there are look and forget.. not evernote or pinterest.

Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM

nutritionMD.org (linked from the Resources page) is searchable - keyword for the basic search and keyword, 'course' (dinner, breakfast, etc.), type of cuisine (Thai, Italian, etc.) and 'base' (beans, grains, veggies, etc.) Many (if not all) of the Kickstart recipes are there as well. And, they all include the nutrition info for the recipes as well.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 317 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: theodore, zachyboopser

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org