21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Honey
Created on: 01/11/12 09:52 PM Views: 1938 Replies: 9
Honey
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 9:52 PM

So is honey considered an animal product? Is it on the no list?

RE: Honey
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Honey is an animal product. But more importantly (depending on your perspective) it is a concentrated source of calories without many nutrients, much like sugar. If you want to use a small amount of a sweetener, I suggest pure maple syrup or molasses, both of which are significant sources of essential minerals.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 9:02 AM

What about Agave?

Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Agave is also a concentrated source of empty calories. It has a lower glycemic index that other sweeteners which is why it is popular among users.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I'm different from others here, but I actually eat honey. I only eat it once in a blue moon, though. I try not to eat any added sugars (natural or otherwise), but if I do, I either use honey, maple syrup, or molasses, depending on what I'm eating. For example, I don't like maple syrup or molasses in my tea and still feel the need for some kind of sweetener, so I use honey instead.

I understand why most vegans don't eat it, though. Wink

Edit: Oh, and agave syrup is just way too expensive for what it is, in my opinion. If I ate more sweets, I'd probably just use that... Confused

Edited 01/16/12 7:21 PM
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 8:24 AM

What about Stevia? I don't see it mentioned much, but it is a plant.

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 8:25 AM

mommyof2nc wrote:

I'm different from others here, but I actually eat honey. I only eat it once in a blue moon, though. I try not to eat any added sugars (natural or otherwise), but if I do, I either use honey, maple syrup, or molasses, depending on what I'm eating. For example, I don't like maple syrup or molasses in my tea and still feel the need for some kind of sweetener, so I use honey instead.

I understand why most vegans don't eat it, though. Wink

Edit: Oh, and agave syrup is just way too expensive for what it is, in my opinion. If I ate more sweets, I'd probably just use that... Confused

We use molasses, honey, maple syrup - my boss has a friend who has acres of sugar maples and a sugar house, so we get syrup in glass bottles from a place about 20 minutes from our house for much less than it would be for similar quality and quantity in any market. Honey is local. And both honey and agave, we buy in the bulk aisle at the co-op market so we save a bit because we're not paying so much for packaging and all - we just reuse large glass jars and save a bit. Sometimes I'll get the molasses (organic unsulphured) that way as well but it takes soooooo looooong to pour the molasses that I buy the pre-packaged sometimes just because I have a tighter schedule that day.

We also use sugar for some things (typically making baked goods for external use - like taking to potlucks and such) - generally we'll get evaporated cane juice. Sometimes we'll get raw sugar but we've found that the larger crystals are only good in certain situations - makes for a gritty crunchy texture that isn't great in brownies or cupcakes, for instance (or when making peanut brittle).

We used to use quite a bit of agave but over time we've reduced our use of all sweeteners (for our own use, still use some for special event stuff) - although, we do more pancake dinners (fresh ground whole wheat plus fresh ground buckwheat!) so have a corresponding uptick in maple syrup usage. Thankfully, it looks like sugaring season will get here before we run out! And, I'd much rather make homemade evap cane juice sweetened baked goods when my son wants them than get processed stuff (even if it's vegan).

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Agave syrup is vegan but if you are looking at your overall health rather that whether it is simply vegan or not, there is some controversy around this product.

http://onlinehealthnews.org/2010/03/beware-of-the-agave-nectar-health-food-fraud/

http://naturalbias.com/agave-nectar-healthy-or-hype/

Do a little research and make your own decision. When I first went vegan I used agave as it was convenient and vegan. After some research I decided not to use it for health reasons as I am trying to decrease my use of highly processed products and as Susan noted, its empty calories - not good if you are trying to loose weight as I am. In cooking I use maple syrup (also a dash in with my oatmeal), apple syrup, brown rice syrup or occasionally a little raw sugar. It all depends on the recipe. Overall I use very little in the way of sweetners as I am not baking or making deserts on a regular basis.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/17/12 1:31 PM
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 3:33 PM

[quote="kiwi"] brown rice syrup [quote]

Did a little checking and it appears that this is just as processed as most agave and has a higher glycemic index (at least, each of the component sugars is higher than table sugar). To each his own.

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 6:07 PM

[quote="Bugsmom"][quote="kiwi"] brown rice syrup
Quote:

Did a little checking and it appears that this is just as processed as most agave and has a higher glycemic index (at least, each of the component sugars is higher than table sugar). To each his own.

--Deb R

Thanks for the info Deb. I agree to each his or her own. I havent had any brown rice syrup in the house for months as its not that sweet anyway and I found I needed to use a fair amount to get the taste called for in a recipe. So I probably wont buy any more. I found a lot of these products including Agave were great transition foods but the more I eat low fat vegan, the more my taste buds have changed and I dont want/need sweetners. For me thats a great big Ya hoo... Very Happy

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 01/17/12 6:09 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 346 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org