21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: non-sticking pans
Created on: 04/20/12 02:24 PM Views: 1532 Replies: 7
non-sticking pans
Posted Friday, April 20, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I did a search to see if the topic of non stick pans had been asked for this Kickstart and I saw that it had not but was discussed in length in Jan 2011. So I'm asking it again for the newbies which includes me.
I've been avoiding non-stick pans for years but now that I'm cooking without oil, I'm looking for some better pans than my stainless steel saute pans. Cast iron is too heavy for me with arthritis in my hands.

I learned a lot on the previous topic in 2011 but thought there might be some new suggestions and you wonderful people who responded could just copy and paste your previous replies for the 2012 newbies who might not think to do a search. Thanks!

RE: non-sticking pans
Posted Friday, April 20, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I did some research into the nanoceramics, very good! I use the Cuisinart pan, very important to follow the instructions: never higher than medium heat, do not nest with another pan (I hang mine), do not clean until pan has cooled, use mild dish soap, never put in dishwasher, use only wood or plastic utensils!

Posted Friday, April 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I just did a search for reviews on the Cuisinart one--only read the reviews on Amazon--and they are terrible. People say they followed the directions of not stacking them, not putting in the dishwasher, not using high heat or metal utensils and their pans are chipping and no longer are non-stick (about a year later). This is discouraging. I don't know how much one should trust those reviews though.

Posted Friday, April 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Bluegrass wrote:

I just did a search for reviews on the Cuisinart one--only read the reviews on Amazon--and they are terrible. People say they followed the directions of not stacking them, not putting in the dishwasher, not using high heat or metal utensils and their pans are chipping and no longer are non-stick (about a year later). This is discouraging. I don't know how much one should trust those reviews though.

Not sure which reviews you are reading. For my pan they had a lot more 5 star reviews than complaints. Several people said it started to stick, but in the responses there were many more who said as long as you follow the instructions to the letter that it will not stick. It may be that it works so well for me because I never use any kind of oil in it. Some responses mentioned this, that if there is an oil buildup it can stick. For this price I would be happy to buy one a year!

Posted Friday, April 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I also do not use nonstick and I don't cook with oil. I have heavy duty water-less cookware and cast iron. Even my tea kettle is cast iron. I love them all, easy clean up.

I use a bonami type scrub for the waterless cookware and oil and salt for the cast iron. Easy and I feel good knowing I don't have the nonstick worries.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I love my Cuisinart GreenGourmet Hard-Anodized Eco Friendly Nonstick 12-Inch Open Skillet Water-based ceramica nonstick surface won't peel off, free of ptfe and pfoa

I have been using it for years. Not a single scratch. I do wash it by hand. As far as stacking.. I solved that by leaving it on the stove! lol

Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Valley Village, they were from Amazon, but when I went back to Amazon and clicked on some more I got more positive results. I think sometimes Google doesn't update or remove old posts and I might have been looking at reviews of older models.

Cch22 (and Valley Village and others) have you ever accidentally used them on higher heat than medium? That really concerns me. It's so hard to judge on the new ceramic cooktops and I don't trust my husband to not use a higher heat resulting in a ruined pan.

Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I have used them on more than med heat. So far so good. I think a new pan said something about seasoning the first time.
If you are really super concerned, you might want a well seasoned cast iron. I know it's heavy.. but just have someone else clean it. I don't pick up fry pans while cooking.

Another thing we are considering.. because our range is electric.. and we got rid of our outdoor grill. is and outdoor wok. i have to do a little research.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 355 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org