21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Recipe ideas
Created on: 04/20/12 04:16 PM Views: 2250 Replies: 12
Recipe ideas
Posted Friday, April 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Along the lines of the "5 ingredient" Food Network show, what are your fav recipes that use 5 ingredients, are fairly easy to make, and relatively inexpensive? (water doesn't count as an ingredient)

Here's one of ours (no quantities mentioned, make the amount that fits your needs, whether it's one or a dozen)

cooked quinoa
cooked chickpeas (or canned, well rinsed and drained)
onion, chopped
garlic, chopped, sliced or minced depending on how big you like your garlic bits
leafy green (whatever is cheapest that week - spinach, kale, chard, collards, dandelion, etc)

Water saute the onion and garlic until just translucent and tender. Cut up the greens into strips. Add the greens to the pan and cook until just tender/slightly wilted, still bright green. Add chickpeas and quinoa and heat through, stir adequately to avoid sticking/scorching. Serve. At the table, you can add any number of sauce type things - soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, hot sauce, balsamic vinegar, etc. as suits your taste but they're not crucial.

--Deb R

RE: Recipe ideas
Posted Friday, April 20, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I do a lot of this kind of cooking. I call them "Vikki's Vegan Bowls" typically 4 - 5 ingredients.

1) Some kind of bean
``lentils, garbanzos, canelli, black beans
2) Some kind of green
``usually whatever is on sale that week between kale, collards, mustard, turnip, spinach
3) Some kind of grain
``I like Kashi 7 Grain Pilaf, hull-less barley, brown rice, forbidden rice, quinoa is a favorite because it's quick, whole wheat couscous, also very quick
4) Some kind of veggie ( or 2 )
``green beans, frozen mixed veggies, corn (very good with black beans) peas, brussel sprouts, zucchini, yellow squash, - this list is long, whatever's in the fridge.
5) Some kind of sauce
``low salt stewed tomatoes, salsa, veggie broth, mushroom sauce made with sauteed mushrooms, or if you have a favorite low-fat vegan sauce.

Add whatever spices / seasonings you like. I'm a huge garlic and onion fan so that typically ends up in the mix. Italian seasonings, Thai seasonings, Indian seasonings, can turn this into anything you would like it to be.

I do bulk cooking so I always have some grains and beans in the fridge. Mix it with the other stuff, whatever I feel like that day.

Whenever people tell me how hard it is to eat vegan I think - THIS is easy! Really easy. I can make a serving size or I can make enough for several days. It just doesn't get any easier.

Vikki ~

Posted Friday, April 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I love lentil soup, especially made with red lentils and finished with lemon juice. cheap, creamy delicious.

Posted Friday, April 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I made vegan tacos last night, they were amazing. I used vegetarian refrained beans from the can. The ones I used had salsa mixed in already. Top with sautéed onions and mushrooms, and then lettuce and salsa.

Posted Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Great breakfast recipe that tastes like pineapple upside down cake but not so sweet.

1c soy milk
1/4 cup rolled oats raw
1 tbs chia seeds
1 tablespoons flax seed
1/2 cup (or more) frozen pineapple
3 tablespoons soy protein powder

blend in blender.

Posted Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Great breakfast recipe that tastes like pineapple upside down cake but not so sweet.

1c soy milk
1/4 cup rolled oats raw
1 tbs chia seeds
1 tablespoons flax seed
1/2 cup (or more) frozen pineapple
3 tablespoons soy protein powder

blend in blender.

Posted Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Ingredients for Quesadillas from www.plantbasedchefs.com/DVD(I highly recommend this DVD)

1) corn tortillas
2) lentils
3) onions
4) frozen corn
5) pico de gallo(I just used salsa)

Cook the lentils and chopped onions and water for about 35 minutes. Put corn tortillas on a cookie sheet and spread the lentils on top, add the rest of the ingredients and top with another corn tortilla and broil a short while. Delicious!!

you can also make it with the "cheese" sauce but I have tried it plain and its great.

http://plantbasedchefs.com/2011/04/plant-based-chefs-yummy-meals-now-available-on-amazon-com/

Edited 04/21/12 1:46 PM
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Fresh Corn & Tomato Salad

4 Ears of Corn
2 medium diced fresh Tomatoes (1 lb)
3 Scallions (1/4 cup chopped)
1/2 cup Cilantro or Basil Leaves
1/2 fresh lime (or squeeze to taste from
real lime container)

Cook Corn about 5 minutes.
Remove & run cool water over corn

Slice Corn off cob; scrape cob.

Finely chop Cilantro.

Add Tomatoes & Scallions.

Squeeze limejuice over mixture. Toss Well.

Serve immediately or refrigerate.

Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Can't wait to try the corn and tomato recipe! Does anyone have a good salsa recipe, black bean and corn, mild? I am tired of buying the commercial stuff!

--Sandy

Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 5:01 AM

i've tried the tomato corn salad. It's SOOO GOOD!!!

Kathy

Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 1:36 PM

i have made a pretty good corn/black bean salsa before.. no recipe.. i just looked at the ingredients on a jar from the store that i liked...

start with that.. and make it your own.. often you can tweak it to fit exactly what you like if you look at more than one jar..

for instance.. you might think one is too hot. or another has an ingredient that adds a unique flavor..

Posted Friday, April 27, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Just had this for lunch

Onions
Peas
Carrots
Tomatoes (canned, fresh or tomato paste)
Optional: Mushrooms or potatoes

Saute onions and add all the ingredients as well as enough water. Before serving, I add dill weed and stir. You can always put fresh chopped dill on it too.

I also prepared bulgur pilaf. You may like to try this recipe for a change http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes.php?recipe=1759

Yummy Smile

Edited 04/27/12 1:48 PM
Posted Friday, April 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Had Foul Muaddamas (sp?) at a cafe owned by a very nice Lebanese family.

Fava Beans
Chickpeas
Tahini sauce w/garlic
Tomatoes
Parsley

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 296 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org