21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: not losing weight
Created on: 03/17/14 03:51 PM Views: 1051 Replies: 10
not losing weight
Posted Monday, March 17, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Hi,
I started a high carb low fat vegan diet about half a year ago but I'm still not losing weight. I started with a fruit based diet, which really boosted my energy levels but I gained weight with it so I switched to a starch based diet. On the starch based diet my energy levels dropped constantly over time and now I feel really bad. I dont have energy to ride my bike (which I used to like before starting the diet), sometimes I have massive headaches and my digestion is really bad. The only positive thing is that my skin cleared up a bit and I dont have cravings anymore. I always try to have a fat percentage of 5%, I excluded oils, nuts, seeds and avocados completely and I limit my consumption of soy products and refined Sugar. But I have to admit that I had 3 high fat meals in those 6 months but besides that I dont see what I am doing wrong. I will probably check my blood and my thyroid to make sure that this isn't the problem, but if my blood tests are good, I really don't know what to do Sad

RE: not losing weight
Posted Monday, March 17, 2014 at 4:04 PM

A couple of questions come to mind:

1. Do you need to lose weight?
2. Do you eat a variety of other foods such as beans and vegetables?

Starch-based, or even fruit-based, diets are fine in general(adequate nutrients, supportive of active lifestyles), but if you don't feel well, then you may need to make some personal adjustments. There may be something about your body that is not reacting well to some component of your diet.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, March 17, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Perhaps the high carb is the problem. Try lots of beans and greens and other veggies and keep the fruits and starches on the lower side. Perhaps you have SIBO which might cause a problem????
Just some thoughts to consider. I have found that I do better if I keep my starches to 1-2 servings per day, and fruits maybe 2-3. Keep some healthy fats in your diet; you need them. I can't tolerate legumes so I do keep some animal protein in my diet now, but my goal is to transition away from it when my gut is healthy.
Good luck to you.

Edited 03/17/14 4:08 PM
Posted Monday, March 17, 2014 at 4:36 PM

LauraSpork wrote:

Hi,
I started a high carb low fat vegan diet about half a year ago but I'm still not losing weight. I started with a fruit based diet, which really boosted my energy levels but I gained weight with it so I switched to a starch based diet. On the starch based diet my energy levels dropped constantly over time and now I feel really bad. I dont have energy to ride my bike (which I used to like before starting the diet), sometimes I have massive headaches and my digestion is really bad. The only positive thing is that my skin cleared up a bit and I dont have cravings anymore. I always try to have a fat percentage of 5%, I excluded oils, nuts, seeds and avocados completely and I limit my consumption of soy products and refined Sugar. But I have to admit that I had 3 high fat meals in those 6 months but besides that I dont see what I am doing wrong. I will probably check my blood and my thyroid to make sure that this isn't the problem, but if my blood tests are good, I really don't know what to do Sad

The power plate is neither high fat nor high carb - it's a balance of non-starchy vegetables, fruits, grains, and proteins (beans, lentils, etc.) making up each about 1/4 of the plate in each meal (give or take, some meals may have a little more of one, a little less of another, but it should roughly average out). There are no added fats but built-in fats (in grains, avocados, etc.) should come to roughly 10% of calories. Avoid nuts if you're looking to lose weight and go a little heavier on the leafy greens since nuts will bind and leafies will ease and clear the gut.

Make sure you are drinking lots of plain water because that can contribute to low energy and headaches because you can get dehydrated.

--DebR

Posted Monday, March 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Thanks for your replies, you are so fast Surprised. I am 165 cm and i weigh 82 kilos (180 pounds) so I have at least 20 kilos (44 pounds) to lose. I always try to incorporate veggies, beans and a salad but sometimes when I dont have a lot of time I eat plain baked potatoes. I also drink 4 liters of water a day, which should be enough for a sedentary person.
I love Avocados, but I am afraid to eat them because Dr Mc Dougall always says "the fat you eat is the fat you wear" and I definitely don't want to wear any more fat on my body.
I think I will try to have a low carb vegan meal in the evening maybe that will work.

Posted Monday, March 17, 2014 at 5:09 PM

making a baked potato a meal is not a great idea - it turns right into glucose in your system. And, while the skin is good, it's also not a lot of fiber or protein, which will leave you hungry sooner than later. Keep some cooked beans on hand (or canned beans) to heat up while the potato is baking. Beans, potato, and salsa makes a better option (you get the tomato/veggie goodness plus protein and fiber on top of that potato). Even if you're nuking a potato, you've got time to heat the beans - and for that matter, once they are cooked, you can eat the beans cold (I often put black beans or chickpeas on salads and such).

I've found that if I clean and tear up the greens then put them in a quart ziplock (so I get several portions) and toss in grape tomatoes, cut up cuke, bell pepper, chickpeas, craisins, pecans, almonds, whathaveyou for salad, I can grab it and go without extra prep work - a whole week of lunch salads prepped ahead.

--DebR

Posted Monday, March 17, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I couldn't lose weight as a vegan for four years until I started drinking triphala tea, it finally got those last 7 pounds off by just reducing my appetite:
http://superfoodprofiles.com/weight-loss-triphala

Another thing I did a few months later which worked for me was food pairing and eating more raw. Read The Beauty Detox Solution by Kimberly Snyder.

Posted Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I know this may sound off, but are you eating enough? Sometimes the body refuses to release weight if it perceives potential starvation.

Posted Monday, March 31, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I had the same problem!! I was vegan for a year and didn't lose anything!! Then I had a food intolerance test done and at the top of the list was gluten!!! So once I took out wheat from my diet - I started to lose weight! Down 8 lbs so far so since the beginning of February! It was very difficult at first because I love pasta and couscous and oatmeal!! I have since replaced any gluten ingredient with either brown rice or quinoa.

Posted Monday, March 31, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I had the same problem!! I was vegan for a year and didn't lose anything!! Then I had a food intolerance test done and at the top of the list was gluten!!! So once I took out wheat from my diet - I started to lose weight! Down 8 lbs so far so since the beginning of February! It was very difficult at first because I love pasta and couscous and oatmeal!! I have since replaced any gluten ingredient with either brown rice or quinoa.

Posted Tuesday, April 1, 2014 at 9:29 AM

you might also look for certified gluten free rolled oats. We buy them in bulk (25# sack) because we use oats for so many things (crumble toppings instead of pie crusts, homemade granola, and breakfast of course).

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 346 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org