21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Day 11 What RU Eating?
Created on: 01/12/12 07:27 AM Views: 2283 Replies: 11
Day 11 What RU Eating?
Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Hi!
I am getting near the end of my leftovers.. as good as they are, i will be ready to cook something different tomorrow. loving the soups this time of year.

i am looking thru the spice house.com at things like horseradish powder, organic sweet basil and a new one -agar. it is supposed to help in vegetarian/vegan baking..

anyone have experience with agar? i use arrowroot and cornstarch..haven't tried the agar yet.

so today is leftovers..
b-cereal,bananna, coffee
l-soup
d-bean/nut burger, brown rice & salad.

what is on your menu?

RE: Day 11 What RU Eating?
Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:37 AM

B- Van's waffles with fruit
L- I have leftover tempeh- I am thinking maybe play on the missing egg salad for today and some soup
D- BBQ Tofu with a Corn and Brown Rice Pilaf

I made soup yesterday and since it is raining I think it would be a perfect day to have some! Plus, New York is supposed to get snow so the soup will warm me up

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:42 AM

i live in NY state.. and we are getting pounded right now with SNOW!!! it is really coming down... the plows have gone by 3x this am so far.. when i wake up to snow plows, i sometimes don't even look outside.

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 7:57 AM

cch22 wrote:

i live in NY state.. and we are getting pounded right now with SNOW!!! it is really coming down... the plows have gone by 3x this am so far.. when i wake up to snow plows, i sometimes don't even look outside.

Right now, I just have rain.
Stay warm.

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I used agar a bit a few decades ago, and have been meaning to get back to it. Principally it is used to gel things. It was first introduced to me as vegan gelatine.

It is from the ocean, and has all of the benefits of sea vegetables, although I believe it is low in iodine (which is a good thing as far as iodine goes... see later).

A woman brought apple agar "jello" to a vegan potluck I attended recently. It was very good. You'll have to google the details, but essentially she boiled apple juice with agar powder and let it set, just like jello... some sweetener can be added depending on your taste. She said that agar also works as a thickener in general, but with things where gelling is the objective.

About that iodine. Apparently there are three nutritional deficiencies which are common in North America at the moment which are shared by vegans and non-vegans alike. This surprises some folk. Anyway, they are B12, calcium and iodine. The problem with iodine is that deficiency and surplus situations are equally dangerous... so check it out before you start filling yourself with seaweeds. Agar, I believe, is low in iodine, for a sea vegetable sourced food, and the jello was great!

Here is a link to information about iodine for vegans:
http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyle/nutrition/iodine.aspx

Maybe the nutrition department can point us to anything else they think is inportant about iodine and / or sea vegetables.

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:19 AM

oops, I forgot to say what I was eating today. Don't you just hate when someone hijacks a topic for another... sorry.

I don't eat what you are supposed to at particular times of the day. At the moment I am having breakfast:

a homemade soy milk - banana - papaya smoothie with a plate of brown rice with green lentils on one side and a chunky primavera sauce which is heavy on the kale on the other side. Great breakfast for a cold winter day. That NY storm is heading our way, I hear, although it is supposed to be warm and rainy the day after a pelting of snow and hail tonight!

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:24 AM

b: usual Laughing
l: leftover potato cabbage bake
d: soup - not sure what kind but hubby is planning on soup for dinner which is lovely to think about in the sloppy weather we're having
s: fresh pineapple chunks, homemade whole wheat bagel (which is about 1/3 to maybe 1/2 the size of commercial bagels), probably toasted with a wee bit of margarine or jam

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:54 AM

b- bread with spinach-hummus, soymilk, banana
l- Homemade vegetable soup of local ingredients (carrot, swede, potato, onion and yellow split-peas) with bread
s- orange (mandatory when skiing)
d- rice and beans

So you don't like snow? I was sad because it was supposed to rain, but it's snowing instead, and the machine that makes my skitracks in the forest is running. Hurray, I'm going skiing as soon as it has done its job. I like skiing.

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Pir wrote:

So you don't like snow?

Here in CT, we had our fill of snow in October and really don't want any more!

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Breakfast I just had my usual muesli with added flax and almond milk
Lunch - most likely a frozen veggie I got at Costco - collards with spinach, white beans, red peppers. I add a bit of apple cider vinegar and nutritional yeast to it for flavour.
Dinner - Empty out the frig soup that I made yesterday with bread.
Snacks - Green tea and an apple or 2
They're calling for a lot of snow here later in the day also, right now its around 0 C and cloudy.

Edited 01/12/12 9:08 AM
Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM

asked if i like snow.. well sometimes.. on occasion i like to snowshoe..
what i don't like is the shoveling, driving in slippery conditons and the bitter cold of winter.
when we retire, i guarantee we will be south in the winter. We are so much more active in the summer. love to bike ride, boat,kayak, & swim.

skiing is not my thing. any sport that has a doctor on premise isn't for me..lol.. Laughing i am not the most coordinated person out there. I did try once.. i stayed at the top of the bunny slope, scared, till i was so cold i had to go down... i screamed all the way down.. people were staring. and i fell near the bottom.. oh and i fell on the rope pull up.. Rolling Eyes just wasn't ment to be!

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM

b. Smoothie: brown rice protein powder, almond milk, kale, blueberries, banana. Power breakfast!! I drink it all morning.

l. Leftover rooot vegetable saute mixed with leftover spicy collard greens and beens.

d whole wheat spag with sierra sauce...a sauce from a camping cookbook with veggies and white beans...Yay! Just one dinner at our house tonight! (My husband is not doing the kickstart)

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 440 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org