21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Fats and Smoothies
Created on: 01/12/12 09:39 AM Views: 1798 Replies: 8
Fats and Smoothies
Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I'm confused. Dr.Barnard said to limit your fats to 3.5g per meal. But I see all over the forum the use of nuts. Cashews? Full of fat. Pistachios? 16g in a few.Peanut Butter? 18g a Tablespoon.Avocado? 55g!
I would love to stay on this diet and lose weight, but the fat restriction seems so extreme.
So if we do the 21 days and lose weight, when we stay vegan and start eating healthy fat again will we gain all the weight back?
Also, I'm not a big vegetable eater. My husband is putting them in protein smoothies for me. I haven't seen that mentioned. Is there any problem with that?
The other day on the PCRM email it said that a Brazil nut is high in Selenium. But why promote that if we are supposed to avoid nuts?

RE: Fats and Smoothies
Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I think the general vegan dietary regimen is extremely flexible based on one's goals. If you have a weight loss objective, you'd want watch calories above all maintaining a total caloric deficit. Given that fat is the most calorie dense, then keeping fat low helps to keep calories low while still getting all other nutrition the body needs.

If you are an athlete (which I'm far from) then I imagine that the balance for fats, carbs, prot, would potentially be different.

Moving more instead of eating less is going to be better for short and long term weight management.

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM

linnie81 wrote:

I'm confused. Dr.Barnard said to limit your fats to 3.5g per meal. But I see all over the forum the use of nuts. Cashews? Full of fat. Pistachios? 16g in a few.Peanut Butter? 18g a Tablespoon.Avocado? 55g!
I would love to stay on this diet and lose weight, but the fat restriction seems so extreme.
So if we do the 21 days and lose weight, when we stay vegan and start eating healthy fat again will we gain all the weight back?
Also, I'm not a big vegetable eater. My husband is putting them in protein smoothies for me. I haven't seen that mentioned. Is there any problem with that?
The other day on the PCRM email it said that a Brazil nut is high in Selenium. But why promote that if we are supposed to avoid nuts?

Overall, the basic idea is to keep to 10% or less of calories from fat. So, if the only significant source of fat in your day is a tablespoon of peanut butter (the kind that just says Peanuts on the label, no added fats, sugars, etc), that's not at all a problem. However, if you're replacing other types of foods (veggies and fruits) with nuts or other high fat foods, that could be an issue if your goal is weight loss. Bottom line, is whatever it is moving you closer or further from your particular goals? For some, having a tbl of nut butter on whole grain toast is exactly right for them to have for breakfast with a piece of fruit perhaps. For others, not so much - I know that for me, I really have to watch the nuts or I gain two pounds seemingly overnight.

As far as smoothies go, you need to look into the ingredients. Does it contain protein from plant sources (like pea protein or soy) or is it whey-based (which is dairy)? Are you making them with plant milk? Is there 'hidden fat' in the ingredients on the protein powder (if that's being used)? Smoothies can range from really good to awful, depending. Also, do you actually need the extra protein of a protein smoothie? Maybe yes, maybe no. Most folks over-estimate how much protein they need. I think it's something like 1/3 of your body weight - so a 150 lb person would need about 50 grams per day on average. If all someone is eating is celery, then yeah, they probably need more protein (even nuts if that's all that's handy). But, the kickstart menus overall pretty much cover that, if you're having the beans/legumes, whole grains, etc.

The restriction isn't actually as extreme as it might seem - when you can eat until you're full on things like quinoa and kale or brown rice and mixed veggies, you tend to be full without the fat added. It takes time and practice and patience. But, yes, after over a year, I can safely say that the weight does stay off because you're not 'dieting', you're learning a whole new way to eat and a new way to think about what you're eating. It's a change of lifestyle with regard to food. Both hubby and I have kept off weight we've lost since starting our first kickstart in Sept 2010. We don't keep to the kickstart menu much (never have really) but we do keep the bigger picture in mind - low fat, plant based, whole foods (as little processing as possible).

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I am very active and exercise daily.Menopause has put 20 pounds on that I have not been able to get off. I initally lost 10 pounds when we switched cold turkey to vegan in November. But since then,nothing more.Dr.Barnard talks about yo yo dieting and gaining back more when the diet ends. This is what concerns me.

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM

If you are already very active, then I'd suggest continuing to make small incremental adjustments in your diet instead of trying to immediately follow a specific program. In that way, it'll be incorporated into your routine and you won't yo-yo. You may not necessarily lose the weight as quickly, but if you're concern is re-gaining, then that is a better trade-off.

Unfortunately there are other factors that can contribute to weight gain or weight retention. "Results not typical" is why you have to watch out when hearing about peoples given progress on any plan.

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Thank you Deb. The smoothies are with Rice Protein with 0 fat. Made with Almond Milk and Kale/Chard/Spinach/Broccoli/Celery/Blueberries and a Banana. I find that if I have this first thing, with all these veggies, it's a great start to the day.

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM

linnie81 wrote:

I am very active and exercise daily.Menopause has put 20 pounds on that I have not been able to get off. I initally lost 10 pounds when we switched cold turkey to vegan in November. But since then,nothing more.Dr.Barnard talks about yo yo dieting and gaining back more when the diet ends. This is what concerns me.

That's where looking at your particular situation is important - no one else can determine what works for you specifically, others can only make suggestions as to what has been helpful to them. What 'vegan' foods are you eating? Often, people reach for the processed things like veggie burger patties and such. Those are great as maybe an intro to vegan food but they have lots of fat and salt and such in them, in general (obviously they vary from brand to brand and all). Have you added muscle (which weighs more than fat)?
Again, vegan eating is more of a lifestyle than a 'diet', so you wouldn't be yo-yo dieting at all - you'd be pursuing a healthy eating and lifestyle pattern as a permanent thing, not just "until I lose x amount of pounds". Most diets focus exclusively on how many pounds you've lost or gained, regardless of whether it's a healthy, maintainable way to eat. That's why people 'yo-yo' - they go on some regimented plan that they can only maintain for a few weeks or maybe a month or two, maybe they even reach their goal weight. But, then they 'finish' whatever it is (time, weight, etc) and go back to eating the same way they did before because they didn't learn to eat healthy. That's one reason the kickstart has "DIY" meals built in - that's putting what you've picked up already into practice "freeform" in whatever manner you choose so that when the 21 day menu ends, you're not stuck wondering what to eat next. You've got a bunch of recipes you've already tried, maybe some new food ideas, and you can build your own personal preferences from there.

--Deb R

Edited 01/12/12 10:28 AM
Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I'm making a lot of the recipes from the Kickstart book. Really love the Black Bean Chili and I put it on top of a baked sweet potato or in a Whole wheat wrap with spinach or just with brown rice.
Also the Tofu Lasagna.I've gotten two Herbivore cookbooks that have given me so many ideas.
I have to say that I don't miss animal products in the least. In fact,just walking thru the meat department at the store turns my stomach.Anyone having trouble with not eating meat should read Kathy Freston's book-Veganist. The chapter on how they slaughter the animals will make you lose any taste you might still have.

Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM

linnie81 wrote:

I'm wondering too. Can we get one of the PCRMs to reply?

Aleta
Create something everyday.

www email

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 246 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org