21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Help...Following kickstart...not loosing weight
Created on: 01/12/12 09:29 PM Views: 3328 Replies: 17
Help...Following kickstart...not loosing weight
Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I began the kickstart and have been following it pretty closely. I've been a vegetarian for almost a year now and decided I would try to move closer to vegan. I was hoping it would help me loose some weight. I've been exercising pretty regularly but haven't seen any change on the scale.

I don't eat out much at all. Make all my own food. I eat whole grain breads and pasta. Lots of fresh veggies and fruit.

Am I missing something?

Edited 01/12/12 9:34 PM
Posted Thursday, January 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I posted something along these lines to Susan when I started my first Kickstart.

I found I ate nuts, nutbutters, tofu, edamame, avocado etc. I did not eat huge amounts, but these were enough to keep me from losing. When I eliminated any added fats or higher fat foods, the weight came off.

I would suggest eliminated those items and watched closely for fats, I started losing. It made the entire difference to my weight loss.

Best wishes,

Kym

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

..not loosing weight
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 10:32 AM

gourmetJo wrote:

I began the kickstart and have been following it pretty closely. I've been a vegetarian for almost a year now and decided I would try to move closer to vegan. I was hoping it would help me loose some weight. I've been exercising pretty regularly but haven't seen any change on the scale.

I don't eat out much at all. Make all my own food. I eat whole grain breads and pasta. Lots of fresh veggies and fruit.

Am I missing something?

Hi gourmet Jo,

I posted regarding this same question recently and hope you don't mind that I went and retrieved my answer to share here directly with you.

This happened to me as well when I switched to a low fat vegan diet. Actually, I gained 2 lbs in the first month. And this was after decades of vegetarian diet! So the changes for me were dairy, free fats, higher fat foods.

They came on pretty quick, stuck around for that month, and then in the month after I dropped them, then the next month 2 more...

Here are some thoughts that may help you out:

Arrow Our bodies need adjust time. We always dread the idea of weight coming on fast but want it to go OFF fast, aren't we something?

Arrow If your changes include a step up in dietary fiber (usually does, did for me) then you have more fibrous content in the digestive track which - holds water. Translates to poundage, but not bodyfat poundage. So you may be losing fat yet holding a bit of water in the system.

Arrow Carbohydrate binds more water in our system than protein, so if your macronutrient content has shifted, this can explain water weight as well. I look at it as getting hydrated, especially for those coming off a dietary plan that is too steep in protein, which purges water from the system. You may be re-hydrating.

Just wanted to add that mixing in more intact whole grains and starchy vegetables to crowd out the bread speeds things up for some people. It's about the calorie density.

I hope you find this encouraging! Give it time, take care and have compassion for your body, and keep getting support for positive changes!

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

RE: Help...Following kickstart..
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Thanks so much for the information and encouragement, it is definitely helpful to know that my body may just be undergoing a transition. I have increased my fiber and water intake significantly in the passed several weeks so maybe that does account for the weight gain. I have to say I truly feel great, am stronger and have a lot of energy so I know good things are happening.

RE: Help...Following kickstart..
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM

gourmetJo wrote:

Thanks so much for the information and encouragement, it is definitely helpful to know that my body may just be undergoing a transition. I have increased my fiber and water intake significantly in the passed several weeks so maybe that does account for the weight gain. I have to say I truly feel great, am stronger and have a lot of energy so I know good things are happening.

That's the spirit gourmetJo - focus on the positive and give it some time.

Nice work!

Lani

Arrow facebook too

RE: Help...Following kickstart...not losing weight
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Hi, I have been on the Vegan Kickstart program since the 29th of Dec. The foods are wonderful...I should have done this years ago. Like the previous comment, I am not losing any weight. Am I eating too much? I try to have oatmeal for breakfast, a large salad for lunch and I have been making veggie soups with barley or farro and have that for dinner. Snacks are fruit. Never more than 2 fruits per day. My concern is that I may be eating too much? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Very Happy

RE: Help...Following kickstart...not losing weight
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 1:11 PM

ehmidman wrote:

Hi, I have been on the Vegan Kickstart program since the 29th of Dec. The foods are wonderful...I should have done this years ago. Like the previous comment, I am not losing any weight. Am I eating too much? I try to have oatmeal for breakfast, a large salad for lunch and I have been making veggie soups with barley or farro and have that for dinner. Snacks are fruit. Never more than 2 fruits per day. My concern is that I may be eating too much? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Very Happy

There are a couple parts to losing - how much goes in AND how much is expended. Whether you're eating too much is relative. The types of food seem okay but you could be having double portions of oatmeal or triple servings of soup and we'd never know Wink What are you putting on the oatmeal, the salad, etc? Sald is great - but often that is offset by all the STUFF that goes on it - nuts, seeds, dried fruit, dressing... Likewise, what, if anything, do you have with your oatmeal - juice? toppings? (or are you an oatmeal purest and just eat it straight up Wink )

Also, make sure you're getting plenty of water, plain old, not caffeinated, water.

If possible, add movement into your day as well - park a little further from the door when you go to work or the market; make those 'inefficient' two or three trips up and down stairs instead of piling things up and being 'efficient' and doing it all in one trip.

So, there are lots of areas to look at for yourself - maybe keep a food journal for a week or two so you can see how much and what you are eating. Having to write doing how much is important because that means measuring things out - most people are very bad at eyeballing what counts as a 'portion' of most foods. For instance, a 'portion' of, say, salmon (to pick something I know off the top of my head) is the size of a deck of playing cards - most people eat two to three times that in a sitting and think that's fine. And maybe it is (in terms of portion size), for them, if they want to stay at the weight they are at.

--Deb R

RE: not loosing weight
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I'm having the same problem of weight gain under vegan diet, however, I am a Type 2 Diabetic, therefore I'm required to insure my protein intake is sufficient to maintain my blood sugar to a normal level. Any suggestions?????

RE: not loosing weight
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 1:29 PM

ozarkjim wrote:

I'm having the same problem of weight gain under vegan diet, however, I am a Type 2 Diabetic, therefore I'm required to insure my protein intake is sufficient to maintain my blood sugar to a normal level. Any suggestions?????

It takes a whole change of outlook to go from what the doctor told you when you were diagnosed to this kickstart way of eating. There's plenty of protein in beans/legumes and whole grains (quinoa is especially good) BUT as a diabetic I'd bet you're afraid of eating grains because grains=carbs=bad. Right? BTDT myself. The big difference is that WHOLE grains plus non-starchy veggies (like kale and chard and such) are much lower glycemically - they digest slowly over a long period so they minimize spiking and dropping. And that's a GOOD thing for a diabetic - you want low, slow, digestion going on to keep things stable. Fiber, not protein, is key to keeping blood sugar stable because that's what determines how quickly things digest and get into the blood stream.

--Deb R

RE: Help...not loosing weight
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM

To Bugsmon,
Thanks for the info. I've probably been eating a lot of extra protein that I don't necessarily need. Do you ( or anyone) have any suggestions for a good book that I can pick up at my local B&N Store that list starch content, protein, carbs, and fiber levels for veggies and fruit, or just food in general. I've found different books, but not any that's all inclusive. Some list Protein & Carbs, but nothing else. Trying to find the best one that covers everything ( or most everything ) is not an easy task. I don't mind buying different ones as long as they are informative. Any suggestions???

RE: Help...not loosing weight
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM

ozarkjim wrote:

To Bugsmon,
Thanks for the info. I've probably been eating a lot of extra protein that I don't necessarily need. Do you ( or anyone) have any suggestions for a good book that I can pick up at my local B&N Store that list starch content, protein, carbs, and fiber levels for veggies and fruit, or just food in general. I've found different books, but not any that's all inclusive. Some list Protein & Carbs, but nothing else. Trying to find the best one that covers everything ( or most everything ) is not an easy task. I don't mind buying different ones as long as they are informative. Any suggestions???

The book we use is :
Nutrition Almanac
by John D. Kirschmann and Nutrition search, Inc.
(sixth edition)

We have bought this book 3 times. People keep borrowing it and don't return it.

It list: Weight, calories, protein, carbohydrates, fiber, vitamin- A,B1,B2,B6,B12,C,E, niacin, pantothenic acid, folic acid, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sodium, zinc, total lipid, total saturated, total unsaturated, total monounsaturated, cholesterol, tryptophan, threonine, isoleucine, leuine, lycine, mrthionine, cystine, phenylalanine, tyrosine, valine, arginine, histidine, alanine, aspartic acid, glutamic acid, glycine, proline, and serine of hundreds of foods and beverages both vegan and non-vegan.

Couple trying to lose too
Posted Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 7:46 PM

My honey and I started this as our new year challenge.... he is losing and I am not (well he was eating a bit worse than me previously too). We started to incorporate exercise like Yoga and starting to walk hoping to run.

Does anyone have a recipe book for singles or for two that is really good with vegan recipes? Most of them I found online are old and not too appetizing and we love the recipes on kickstart but they make so much we have to halve or quarter them.

Thanks for any suggestion looking forward to seeing the weight drop.

Amanda

RE: Help...Following kickstart...
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I finally lost 3 pounds. Don't give up fellow kickstarters. I do believe that Lani was right, my body needed time to adjust to all the increased fiber I was consuming. I'm continuing to exercise regularly and drink plenty of water, two things that I think are important components for weight loss.

RE: Help...Following kickstart...
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM

gourmetJo wrote:

I finally lost 3 pounds. Don't give up fellow kickstarters. I do believe that Lani was right, my body needed time to adjust to all the increased fiber I was consuming. I'm continuing to exercise regularly and drink plenty of water, two things that I think are important components for weight loss.

GourmetJo, thanks for reporting in! And I have to congratulate you for persisting with faith the the food process. How very encouraging!

It's such a relief not to have to count, weigh, measure, or pour over food analysis tables to get the job done. You go!

Lani

Arrow facebook too

Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

You know,

Dr McDougall has said in the past that women are programmed to hold on more tenaciously to their body fat, in case they have to support a foetus in times of food scarcity. And this is why women often find it much harder to lose weight than men.

Wash your back

RE: Help
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 10:11 PM

For me it's a lifestyle change and the weight loss will come. I love to eat and as long as I am eating whole foods then I know I'm doing the eating correctly - to lose weight I need to add exercise and then the lbs and inches fall away fairly quickly. I don't move much at work, so need to make the effort to move when not at my day job. Yoga helps me too. Very Happy

RE: Help.Following kickstart.not loosing weight
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Dear ozarkjim,

I heartily recommend the following book:
The Whole Foods Diabetic Cookbook by Patricia Bertron, R.D.

Good Luck!

RE: Help.Following kickstart.not loosing weight
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Sorry - the book is by Patricia stevenson & Michael Cook - the Important Information on Diabetes & Nutrition is by Patricia Bertron, R.D.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 382 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org