21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: Suggestion for PCRM
Created on: 04/21/12 09:27 AM Views: 1059 Replies: 4
Suggestion for PCRM
Posted Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I just finished reading one of the posts where a poster named Bug'smom reviewed how she plans her menus and saves money. It was great information. I have now been vegan for a year (Kickstart April 2011). Many of the things posted were things I've learned over the last year and wished it hadn't taken me a year to figure out. I think it would be great if PCRM would consider an ongoing resource for kickstarters - one on being vegan on a tight budget like tips on less expensive spices that can be substituted in recipes, ways to save on groceries (or just hire bug's mom as a blogger!) and one for cooking vegan for one or two - even if it woould help us make adjustments to the menu plans for future kickstarts.

RE: Suggestion for PCRM
Posted Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 10:09 AM

These resources would be very useful, you are correct. I wonder if it would be easier on the staff if the techies could just start a special thread for these two topics which would carry over to each new kickstart? Then we would all blog... not that bugsmom isn't fantastic!

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Apologies if this has been suggested already, but I know Wholefoods Market offers a small refund if you bring your own bag.

It's not much, but if you put 8 or 9 bags inside each other, like I do, the refund becomes quite substantial. Sometimes I even end up making a profit.

Wash your back

Posted Sunday, April 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM

This forum can be an ongoing resource. Many people still check in. I would recommend bookmarking the site as it can be hard to find without the links from the daily emails.

Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Embarassed Thanks folks - but most of it is stuff I've learned over the last couple of years of kickstart ideas, reading vegan cookbooks, blogs, etc. - plus my hubby's way with foods. I keep track of the ingredients in the house, he figures out how to use them up. Key is learning what stuff is similar enough to other stuff to substitute - chard for kale, brown rice for quinoa, and how to use the dry stuff like dry beans and lentils. We can always come up with something with a bean, a green, and a grain - and then add other veggies and seasonings.

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 83 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org