21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: help!
Created on: 09/17/12 04:40 PM Views: 528 Replies: 2
help!
Posted Monday, September 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Thanksgiving will be here in a couple months and I was wondering if there is a recipe out there for vegan pecan pie????? My family really loves it and obviously for a diabetic it's a blood sugar disaster with all that corn syrup and sugar eggs etc. Well this morning I had the pumpkin oatmeal for breakfast and I was thinking how great that would be to turn it into a pie somehow and maybe put crushed pecans on top of it??? But how to make it LOOK more like the pecan pie double??? Can any of you expert kitchen and nutritionist people help me out with this one??????

RE: help!
Posted Monday, September 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Recipe from Clean Food: A Seasonal Guide to Eating Close to the Source with More Than 200 Recipes for a Healthy and Sustainable You
by Terry Walters

Chocolate Pecan Pie

Crust

1 1/2 c almonds
1 c rolled oats
1/4 c cocoa powder
1/4 t sea salt
1/4 c walnut oil
1/4 c maple syrup

Filling

2 T ground golden flax seeds
1 c apple juice
1/2 c raisins
1/2 c honey
1/2 c cocoa powder
pinch sea salt
2 T cashew butter
1 t vanilla
2 c lightly toasted pecans

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil 9" tart pan.

Place almonds, oats, cocoa and salt in food processor and process to form a crumb-like mixture. Add oil and syrup and process to combine. Place mixture in tart pan, press to form crust, pierce several times with fork and bake 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Keep oven on.

Soak ground flax in bowl with 6 T of water for 20 min. Meanwhile, in small pot, combine apple juice, raisins, honey, cocoa powder and salt. Place over medium heat and simmer for 10 min (raisins will lose their form). Add cashew butter to soaked flax seed mixture and whisk into apple juice mixture. Continue whisking until texture is uniform or puree gently with handheld blender. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and set aside.

Arrange 1 1/2 c toasted pecans over cooked pie crust. Pour in filling and arrange remaining pecans on top. Cover loosely with foil and bake 50 min. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to set. Serve at room temperature.

RE: help!
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Thanks so much for this!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 479 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org