21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Kombu and iodine
Created on: 10/20/13 10:36 AM Views: 990 Replies: 3
Kombu and iodine
Posted Sunday, October 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I bought a package of kombu in the hopes of using some when I`m cooking beans. I heard that using a little kombu in the cooking water helps make the beans more digestible (less gas and bloating, etc).

But I`ve also heard that kombu has extremely high levels of iodine in it, and that people need to be careful with this to avoid getting too much iodine.

I know that we all need iodine, but that too much (or too little) can cause health issues.

I`m wondering how much kombu would constitute too much iodine? For example, if I`m hoping to cook a batch of beans a few times a week, how much (or how little) kombu should I put into the cooking water?

Also, I recently bought a container of kelp granules - should I be concerned about excess iodine if I start using a little of that on my meals?

RE: Kombu and iodine
Posted Sunday, October 20, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I would be surprised if you got too much iodine from your seaweed products, unless you have a specific medical condition in which precaution was given by your physician.

It takes but a very small square of kombu to do the trick. In a large pot of beans (more than one cup dried), you would only need about a 2"x2" square.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Good to hear (and quite a relief)!

Thanks, Susan Smile

Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I've got another question:

how should I store the package of kombu after I've opened it? If I'm only using a little bit at a time, it'll take me a while to use up the whole package.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 435 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org