21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Day 12 What RU eating?
Created on: 01/13/12 06:53 AM Views: 1094 Replies: 4
Day 12 What RU eating?
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 6:53 AM

Hi!

Last weekend I made a trip to the airport to pick up mom. Since I don't get to the "city" too often, it was a chance to stop by the Asian food supermarket. I picked up some rice noodles for a light ginger & veggie soup. They had avacados.... at the best price I have seen in a very long time.. 5 for $3.00!! Of course i picked up 5. So today they are looking good. It is time for a recipe or two either today or tomorrow.

Avacado pesto pasta sounds awesome. I think i have some fresh green spinach speghetti noodles. That will definately be dinner either today or tomrrow.

b-cereal,out of bananas
l- leftover speg squash casserole
d-either avacado pesto pasta w/salad or brown rice, veggies & salsa w/salad.

what is on your menu??

RE: Day 12 What RU eating?
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 7:54 AM

b: as usual (creature of habit!)
l: leftover cabbage and potato bake
d: no idea - might be pasta of some sort

[just got an update: whole wheat+buckwheat pancakes for dinner on this blustery day - with a wee drizzle of real, locally made maple syrup and a small dusting of cinnamon for me! We do a whole topping buffet at our house - maple syrup, agave, honey, homemade berry jam, Nutella, pecans, cinnamon, apple butter, peanut butter, Smart Balance, and anything else someone wants to try as a topping). Hubby makes them sans egg and milk and they come out just fine.]

s: pineapple chunks, apple

Lsat night's soup was misc veg - stock made from carrots, celery, carrot tops, onion, beet tops and peelings. The stock was an interesting clear reddish purple color from the beets. Then to that carrots, potatoes, turnips, parsnips, and beets were added plus a wee bit of corn starch to give it a little more body and a few spices including a tad more chipotle than I could easily manage - ate LOTS of crackers to try to modify the spiciness. I did end up resorting to a dab of sour cream at the end to stop the burning in my mouth, it was that uncomfortable.

--Deb R

Edited 01/13/12 11:20 AM
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I love making my own stock.
All the veg scraps I make I just put them in a bag in the freezer until it is full enough to make stock. It is a great saving money tip. You don't waste veggies, you save money, and you get great stock.

B- leftover oatmeal, mango delight smoothie ( I haven't had a smoothie in months and this may bring smoothies back into breakfast rotation, I just need a better blender)
l- I really don't know, leftovers probably maybe some BBQ baked tofu again. I loved it last night
d- japanese restaurant or a stir fry with noodles

Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM

brittie wrote:

I love making my own stock.
All the veg scraps I make I just put them in a bag in the freezer until it is full enough to make stock. It is a great saving money tip. You don't waste veggies, you save money, and you get great stock.

Not to mention it's a good use of any of those slightly limp carrots and celery stalks - stuff that's not gone bad but isn't quite fresh enough for other uses. Suck all the good out of them into the stock and discard their wilted remains into the compost. I've deliberately started buying carrots with tops intact so hubby can whack the tops off and stash them for making stock. But, again, this is one of those "wish we had a 'vegan' fridge that could handle all the leafy stuff better.

--Deb R

Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM

speaking of veggie soup.. i just found that if i put those sliced baby bella mushrooms in the soup they do indeed turn meaty... also makes the broth brown.

i had always water sauted them before adding to soup. I will never do that again. just put them in.. in fact i am thinking of a lentil & mushroom soup.. maybe some beans? but LOTS of mushrooms.

so another veggie i love in soup is Kale..it turns chewy too and doesn't fall apart or get mushy. Maybe add some garlic, paprika & oregano..

just thinkin...

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 164 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org