21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Asian Supermarkets
Created on: 01/13/12 06:59 AM Views: 3035 Replies: 13
Asian Supermarkets
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 6:59 AM

HI,
So about twice a year i get to go to a Asian Supermarket. I love looking at all the different ingredients. Sometimes it is just i can get a larger container, even less expensive, than i get a small one in my local supermarket.

Some of the veggies i have no idea what they even are. The veggies I do know are reasonably priced there.

I buy a large bottle of hoisen sauce, red pepper paste, tamari soy sauce, rice noodles, and frozen vegetable dumplings the size of small rocks. (3.69 for 12)

So if you go to an Asian Supermaket what do you get?

RE: Asian Supermarkets
Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I love trying the tropical fruits.
Green Jackfruit is on my want to try list. I have been wanting to make jackfruit taquitos or shredded BBQ pork.

I used to get dumplings or egg rolls but since going gluten free, I can't.

I get miso paste, rice noodles, sauces like sweet chili sauce.

I haven't been to one since I have been gluten free which was last summer. I need to go again. Thanks for the reminder.

Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Asian markets are great for fresh herbs and veggies. Some of the asian staples are mint, cilantro and basil, and, at least here, they're only $1 or so for a huge bag.
Limes, lemons and avocados are much cheaper as well. Limes are often 5 or 6 for $1, and avocados are usually about half what they are in the regular store.

They often have homemade tofu, both fried and not, which is nice. They're usually in a big tub in the regrigerated section - and they're much, much cheaper - I think $1 per "block".

I also stock up on rice, sauces, coconut milks and different curries when I go. So much cheaper and there's a much wider variety than in my regular grocery store.

Some of the larger ones also have, in the freezer section, a big selection of vegetarian shrimp, fish, snails, etc.
I haven't purchased any since going vegan, so I'm not sure if they contain dairy or not; I'll check the next time I stop in.

Oh.. and the other thing I just found there last week was vegetarian fish sauce! Fish sauce is a staple of Asian cooking, and my dishes definitely suffer from not using it. I have a recipe for homemade vegan fish sauce, but I just haven't found the time to make it yet. This saved me about six hours of simmering smelly sauce on the stove...yeay!

Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I'd probably buy the cheaper and better tasting tofu. I also love lotus roots - something I commonly ate in China but have a hard time finding in the States (in DC anyway).

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I guess with tofu.. i only purchase organic. so i would have to check that.. what is lotus root? i assume it is a veggie? is it for stir fry? is it like buk choy? or ginger?

Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Google the image, you will probably recognize lotus roots. But their texture is very similar to other root vegetables. Lotus roots have holes in them, so they float! I always assumed they grew not in the soil, but under water, under the lotus flower.

I would slice them and stir "fry" them. Yummy. You could probably bake them too - ovens are not common in China so that was never an option when I had access.

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 11:31 AM

susan.. would they be good in soup?

Posted Friday, January 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Oh indeed! Just make sure you cook them thoroughly. Like potatoes, they are not necessarily fun to eat "crunchy."

Susan Levin, MS, RD

Posted Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I found something else at the asian market...
they make fresh noodles.. in the refridgerated section... they are made w/wheat flour, spinach, celery, & grn pepper. They were really good and something i will buy again.

Posted Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM

There's an Indian market across from my office. It's like walking into a different country. I love it!

I was able to buy fresh curry leaves for a dish I made (but honestly, I don't care for the flavor). But they also have fresh garbanzo beans which we love at our house. They're in the pods and after shelling them they're delicious sauteed in a little broth.

I'm not sure what a lot of the other foods are but it's fun to browse.

Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I always buy tofu at the Asian supermarket. MUCH cheaper ($1.19/lb at the most vs $3.99/lb at the grocery store). My local Asian market has all organic tofu, so that makes it a no brainer. Wink

I also buy bell peppers, hot peppers, and fruits like star fruit and other varieties of bananas not normally available at the grocery store, since they're also much cheaper there.

Oh, and of course soy sauce, basically any type of Asian sauce, and kombu/other seaweed.

I'm lucky, though, because we have a large Asian market only 10 minutes away, and another even larger one about 25 minutes away. Also, our "Asian" markets also have a lot of Latin American and Middle Eastern foods, so it's a three-for-one deal. Cool

Edited 01/16/12 7:11 PM
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I go there to buy diakon. It is better, and much cheaper than what I buy at the local health stores, but it is not organic. I sometimes buy lower fat tofu there. I bought some yuba sheets that I have yet to try out. Robin Robertson uses them often in her cookbooks. I just need to get gutsy and try it, but I also have to have a backup dinner just in case.

There is an Asian mart a block away from where my daughter went to preschool last year. She hated going in there because it smells sooo bad (like fish). There is a new one by my favorite health food store, plus on the other side of the store, there is an Indian store.

Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I like to get mung bean noodles.I have to think they are better than white rice noodles.They taste the same. I said to the cashier-I wish they would make brown rice noodles...she laughed at me. I have a problem in that the labels are all asian. I couldn't read if something was organic if I had to.I stick with things I know have no egg. We are lucky in that in my neighborhood, they have converted old 7-11's into family run Asian stores.Then we have what would be considered an Asian supermarket just 5 miles away.

Edited 01/17/12 8:18 AM
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2012 at 8:21 AM

i have brown rice noodles that i purchased from my health food store.. i love brown rice.. but really disliked the noodles.. they got mushy. have to watch them close when boiling.. so they would not be good for soup.
i will pass on anymore brown rice noodles.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 598 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org