21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: Trolls / Astroturfing
Created on: 09/18/12 01:09 PM Views: 1076 Replies: 6
Trolls / Astroturfing
Posted Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Ever since I started posting on health forums, there's always been a question in the back of my mind: how do I know if someone is genuinely having problems with the forum's protocol or if they're just some industry-funded troll trying to instill fear or doubt in the minds of the other members ? Here's an interesting article by George Monbiot about this very thing:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2011/feb/23/need-to-protect-internet-from-astroturfing

Wishing the best of success to all people genuinely trying this life-saving and heavily-scientifically-backed program.

Theodore

Wash your back

RE: Trolls / Astroturfing
Posted Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 1:19 PM

what a terrific read. thanks for sharing

Posted Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Great Article! I've seen it on other forums I belong to and some of them are pretty hard to detect.

I was wondering how long it would take to hit this forum. Since veganism has become quite popular and like anything that is different & popular it gets those who are nay sayers and the trolls at some point because:

1. some people call it bad because they do not actually stick with it, so obviously it's bad &

2. Big companies & government do not necessarily like it, it proves all their propaganda about the Standard American Diet to be complete crap. And really if that is crap, how is Monsanto gonna pull the wool over peoples eyes with their latest GMO that lines the pockets of others and keeps us sick?

haha

Again great article!

Posted Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Very interesting article. I sometimes wonder about a few of the posts I see. I would like to take this opportunity to state that I am a real person. Wink

I've seen in a documentary the story of one scientist who went against the status quo and whose reputation was ruined after "scientists" created by corporations attacked and discredited him. It's really a scary thought.

His research showed that GMO crops could not be considered the same as non-GMO. Here is a link to the film, The World According to Monsanto:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rml_k005tsU

Edited 09/18/12 3:18 PM
Posted Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Until recently such an idea never came to mind. Why would anyone be so difficult and wish to cause trouble? I avoid trouble.

But is saddens me to say that on this forum (just read a post) and on McDougall's forum I have seen posts that make me feel as though there are, indeed, such people out there.

If you don't like something or don't agree with it, move on! Just because it doesn't work for you for whatever reason doesn't mean it won't benefit someone else. Why would you want to be responsible for deterring someone from a journey that would create health, peace and possible life?

I would not want to meet my maker at the end and have to explain that I derailed someone and caused them harm or suffering because of a "lark", paycheck, for fun, or nothing better to do. You get the idea.

Plain and simple it is cruel.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Great article. I had never even heard of the term "astroturfing". The length and breadth of the problem read like a great story of intrigue, but unfortunately it's real. I've always believed trolls to be individual jackasse, not an "organized army." I haven't seen any trolling here, but the McDougall forum gets them.

BTW: Thanks for flagging that last troll. He was really annoying with his constant arguing and irrelevancy. I never noticed the red exclamation mark either. I just thought Jim was that good at catching them! Now I know I can help him out.

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

Posted Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Ha ! Thanks for reading this, Guys. Glad you enjoyed it.

Yeah those GMO companies are the most aggressive I've heard of. I've actually seen quite a few GMO trolls on vegan forums.

Vegpedlr, no need to thank me for flagging any trolls. It's my pleasure. I'm gonna have a blast with that exclamation mark now that I know how to use it. I'd like it if there was something like that over here too though. I've definitely seen some trolls here, just not as many.

Wash your back

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 288 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org