21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Brunch foods
Created on: 03/19/14 08:53 AM Views: 1606 Replies: 12
Brunch foods
Posted Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 8:53 AM

As usual, we'll be going to an Easter brunch next month. Last year, we made a white bean and spinach 'quiche'. It was yummy but we're looking for something that is both vegan and gluten free for this year, besides a big fruit salad (which I'll probably also make).

So, what are your favorite vegan, soy free, gluten free 'brunch' type recipes?

--DebR

RE: Brunch foods
Posted Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 9:19 AM

How about Breakfast Rice Pudding? I think there may be a recipe for it on this site.

RE: Brunch foods
Posted Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 1:27 PM

LOL I was thinking about doing a rice pudding type parfait with layers of fresh fruit. I'll go check for the recipe. Thanks

RE: Brunch foods
Posted Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 1:31 PM

I just went and looked and it seems a bit too 'soft' if that makes sense. I'd want something that firms up a bit more, kind of like a trifle. I have a good recipe for vegan chocolate pudding (it uses corn starch as a thickener so it sets up). I'm thinking if I make that as a vanilla pudding and stir in cooked rice and a pinch of cinnamon, then I can layer it with fruit and it'll stay firm.

Keep the ideas coming.
-DebR

RE: Brunch foods
Posted Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM

That sounds wonderful and perfect for a special occasion

RE: Brunch foods
Posted Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 10:01 PM

My gut instinct says tacos.

Wash your back

RE: Brunch foods
Posted Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Tacos, hmm? Non-GMO corn tortillas would work for the outside but what for the filling? Not sure beans and salsa would go over for an Easter brunch. Hmm jelly 'beans' and melted strawberry jam maybe...

Currently, and subject to change probably a bunch over the next few weeks, I'm thinking of doing a nice granola, a big fruit salad, and two kinds of yogurt - one dairy (local, organic, raw, whole milk) and one almond (homemade almond milk is the only kind that works for this). I can set it all out in separate bowls and people can mix and match as they choose to create their own parfait type bowl.

--DebR

RE: Brunch foods
Posted Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

Currently, and subject to change probably a bunch over the next few weeks, I'm thinking of doing a nice granola, a big fruit salad, and two kinds of yogurt - one dairy (local, organic, raw, whole milk) and one almond (homemade almond milk is the only kind that works for this). I can set it all out in separate bowls and people can mix and match as they choose to create their own parfait type bowl.

That's fine, but what are the men gonna eat ?

Wash your back

RE: Brunch foods
Posted Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 4:42 PM

theodore wrote:

Bugsmom wrote:
Currently, and subject to change probably a bunch over the next few weeks, I'm thinking of doing a nice granola, a big fruit salad, and two kinds of yogurt - one dairy (local, organic, raw, whole milk) and one almond (homemade almond milk is the only kind that works for this). I can set it all out in separate bowls and people can mix and match as they choose to create their own parfait type bowl.

That's fine, but what are the men gonna eat ?

It's a potluck, so other folks are bringing meat and eggs and dairy and lots of white flour, white sugar processed pastries and things. I refuse to bring faux meats and stuff.

--DebR

RE: Brunch foods
Posted Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

It's a potluck, so other folks are bringing meat and eggs and dairy and lots of white flour, white sugar processed pastries and things. I refuse to bring faux meats and stuff.

Holy moly, Deb. I wasn't going in that direction at all. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I was thinking about bread, especially dense hearty bread, like wraps. Maybe with some beans and greens and a walnut dressing (see here: http://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/mmi_lesson_07.pdf)

I don't think your average man necessarily wants meat/eggs/dairy. Especially now that the IGF-1/cancer link has been discovered. The trouble is that a lot of them don't know any good plant-based options.

Wash your back

RE: Brunch foods
Posted Friday, March 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM

theodore wrote:


Holy moly, Deb. I wasn't going in that direction at all. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. I was thinking about bread, especially dense hearty bread, like wraps. Maybe with some beans and greens and a walnut dressing (see here: http://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/mmi_lesson_07.pdf)

I don't think your average man necessarily wants meat/eggs/dairy. Especially now that the IGF-1/cancer link has been discovered. The trouble is that a lot of them don't know any good plant-based options.

Actually, most of the men I know (except the hubby) want sausage and bacon with their eggs and toast.

Beans and greens are not something I think of as an Easter brunch thing, except maybe as a salad (which is not hearty/manly). Dense hearty breads don't fit the GF situation (unless I buy a boxed mix for it). I could probably buy a GF bread (it's not that hard to find and I can get some good quality varieties easily enough). I'd love for hubby to make some nice fresh pumpernickel bagels but that isn't GF either.

--DebR

RE: Brunch foods
Posted Monday, March 24, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Googled 'vegan French toast casserole' and found some lovely recipes - I have most of the ingredients already anyhow and I can pick up a loaf of GF bread to use - which should work out well. Most GF breads seem to be kinda dry but soaking it for several hours (per the recipes) in a plant milk based mixture (Plant milk, ground flaxseed, maple syrup, cinnamon and that sort of thing) should soften it nicely so it might not even feel like GF or vegan. Very Happy

--DebR

RE: Brunch foods
Posted Monday, March 24, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Bugsmom wrote:

Googled 'vegan French toast casserole' and found some lovely recipes - I have most of the ingredients already anyhow and I can pick up a loaf of GF bread to use - which should work out well. Most GF breads seem to be kinda dry but soaking it for several hours (per the recipes) in a plant milk based mixture (Plant milk, ground flaxseed, maple syrup, cinnamon and that sort of thing) should soften it nicely so it might not even feel like GF or vegan. Very Happy

I almost excreted tears (of joy) when I read this. It sounds like such a beautiful dish.

Wash your back


New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 378 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org