21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: sandwich ideas
Created on: 06/11/12 01:29 PM Views: 2265 Replies: 12
sandwich ideas
Posted Monday, June 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM

any ideas for sandwiches? getting tired of peanut butter and jelly or hummus and tomatoes. something not too wet as I'm taking the sandwiches on my bicycle rides. Thanks!

RE: sandwich ideas
Posted Monday, June 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Have you tried some of the fake meats, like Tofurky or Field Roast? They can be quite tasty. Or if you are good at planning, you can make your own fake meat by marinating and roasting your own tempeh or tofu slices.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, June 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Susan I have used Field Roast but it can be quite high in fat.

Posted Monday, June 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Ahh, good point. Maybe stick to the lower fat versions.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Monday, June 11, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Toast (or thaw) two pieces of Ezekiel bread, spread with healthy hummus, layer with spinach, red onions, tomato slices (or your veggies of choice), maybe some Nayonaise or mustard. Yummy!

Deborah

Posted Monday, June 11, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Pocket bread (whole wheat) might be less messy.

Posted Tuesday, June 12, 2012 at 9:21 AM

If you wait until the chickpeas are cold (or take the straight from the can and well rinsed), you can pulse once or twice in the food pro to break them up roughly/chunky. Then add diced onion, celery, carrot (and combo whatever you like) and add a fav salad dressing or mayo-like substance to make something akin to tuna salad - we call it "not-tuna". I like to put some fresh baby spinach and sun dried tomato on mine. Oh, and we usually do wraps instead of sandwiches, so maybe a wrap (wrap it tightly in plastic wrap then put into a travel container/ziplock bag/foil wrap) would be a little bit of a change of pace as well.

Sometimes I'll do just a pile of veggies - spinach, leafy lettuce, tomato, cuke, onion, bell pepper, etc. with just a very light drizzle of balsamic (I usually carry the balsamic in a separate container and add it right when I'm going to eat).

--Deb R

Posted Tuesday, June 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Hi
We also LOVE the not Tuna. there are many different versions.. I haven't found a bad one yet.
I have also taken that recipe and put it into veggie pasta. I will soon be trying the wraps.. I found ones with no HighFrutoseCornSyrup.

Better Than Tuna Salad
2 cans Chickpeas
1/2 cup Mayo (I used Vegenaise)
1 Bell Pepper
2 Carrots
2 Organic Celery Stalks
2 tbsp Parsley
1/2 cup Walnuts
1 tbsp Dijon
Salt and Pepper

Mash or blitz the chickpeas until you get the "flaky" texture of canned tuna. You don't really want to get it to the hummus consistency.
Mix in all the other ingredients and spread on your favorite bread, crackers or on top of a bed of lettuce.
You can mix up the recipe to your liking. I added a tiny bit of minced onion and only skipped the walnuts (none in the pantry) - and it was still incredible. Give it a try!

Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2012 at 8:52 AM

cch22 wrote:

Hi
We also LOVE the not Tuna. there are many different versions.. I haven't found a bad one yet.
I have also taken that recipe and put it into veggie pasta. I will soon be trying the wraps.. I found ones with no HighFrutoseCornSyrup.

Better Than Tuna Salad
2 cans Chickpeas
1/2 cup Mayo (I used Vegenaise)
1 Bell Pepper
2 Carrots
2 Organic Celery Stalks
2 tbsp Parsley
1/2 cup Walnuts
1 tbsp Dijon
Salt and Pepper

Mash or blitz the chickpeas until you get the "flaky" texture of canned tuna. You don't really want to get it to the hummus consistency.
Mix in all the other ingredients and spread on your favorite bread, crackers or on top of a bed of lettuce.
You can mix up the recipe to your liking. I added a tiny bit of minced onion and only skipped the walnuts (none in the pantry) - and it was still incredible. Give it a try!

Yup! We've done all sorts of things with it - we add it along with some broccoli or peas to mac'n'not-cheese.

FWIW we just make our own whole wheat tortillas instead of buying them. They're really easy to do and are our go-to now instead of bread (since making tortillas is way easier and faster than making bread, since we buy neither). Total time is about an hour but much of that is the resting time between kneading and rolling. We can control the ingredients and the size - bigger ones if we're doing wraps or burritos, smaller ones if we're doing fajitas, etc. And, we even bring the ingredients along on our 'camping' vacation and make them over the campfire (weather permitting). 'Camping' because we've got a cottage with a kitchen (in case it rains all week), indoor plumbing, electricity (medically necessary for hubby's CPAP), and actual mattresses/beds. We camp with many of the same folks each year and it's become kind of a spectator-sport to watch hubby making tortillas over the fire - we usually have to plan for an extra batch because folks start snacking on them right as they come off the pan! They'll dash back to their living quarters and bring back jam, nut butter, and other things to contribute to the festivities and we'll have a grand old time.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2012 at 9:57 AM

the wrap recipe?

Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM

cch22 wrote:

the wrap recipe?

It's a basic flour tortilla recipe - hubby adds a little baking powder to it to make it a bit softer and more flexible than the typical flour tortilla recipe. Not sure where he got the recipe but it's probably online somewhere (Or a lot of somewheres).

It's basically freshly ground whole wheat flour, water, salt, and oil. Here's one that includes baking powder and flax meal - http://www.grouprecipes.com/1603/whole-wheat-and-flax-meal-tortillas.html I'm pretty sure that's not the recipe he's got but it looks similar.

--Deb R

Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2012 at 10:09 AM

thank you.

Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2012 at 10:41 AM

you're welcome. One of the keys to it is that it needs to be a really HOT dry skillet (no oil). It only takes about a minute per side to cook the tortillas. When bubbles start to appear, flip it and give it a minute and you're done. It should slide around easily in the skillet - if they stick, it's not hot enough or the dough is too wet. We often do it assembly line style - hubby rolls one out and puts it in the pan. I watch it, flip it, remove it while he rolls out the next one. We can get a whole batch done in maybe 15 minutes (depending on how many we're making - the more rolling out needed, the longer it takes, so makes 20 smaller ones takes longer than 10 large ones).

They are SO yummy warm and fresh that they start getting munched on before the last one is out of the pan - we try to at least keep enough for the meal we're making them for!

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 244 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org