21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: tofu vs. those 'fake' soy products
Created on: 09/19/12 02:00 AM Views: 857 Replies: 3
tofu vs. those 'fake' soy products
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I just wondered if one is more preferable than another? If I find fresh tofu, is this better and more natural than soy protein isolate, which is the ingredient in most of these 'soy' meats I find in the supermarkets?

Just wondering! I figured that fermented items are best even when considering soy. Thanks =)

RE: tofu vs. those 'fake' soy products
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 6:58 AM

The whole soybean would be better, although tofu is by far a second best option. It is as close to whole food as you can get, with the exception of just eating the beans. If you make your own, or find a factory, you can also use a bit of the fibre (the only product removed from the bean to make tofu) as a filler in other home made soy based products. It is called okara.

The problem with those fake meats is not only that it uses highly processed components of a whole food, it also contains fat, salt, and other preservatives. Read the ingredients and you will see what I mean. An occasional treat is ok, but over eating that stuff upon returning to north America from a place it didn't exist led to stomach and gall bladder problems for me, and dropping it cured that ... Just saying Smile

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Tofu is a traditional food used for hundreds (thousands?) of years in Asia. You could make it at home if you were so inclined. Soy protein isolate is made industrially with a lot of chemical processing where nearly all nutrients are lost. An occasional treat, maybe, but best avoided.

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Thanks guys, yes - I definitely want to continue the kickstart and avoid the processed items. I think it's so easy to have them if one is vegan because they are indeed flavourful, but as Madeline points out - full of the preservatives. It would be great to learn more how to make my own tofu! For now, I'll have to get the store-bought variety haha, or order at shops/cafes for when I am out.

I agree, I think the soy controversy and bad rep is due to the fake meats that are designed for people to feel like they can be vegan and still have a 'hot dog' or burger made of soy...they haven't realized like us, how many interesting and creative vegan foods are out there!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 286 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: BingoBlitzCheats

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org