21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: I am frustrated...
Created on: 09/19/12 11:48 AM Views: 1520 Replies: 8
I am frustrated...
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I am addicted to tortilla chips...I have tried to control myself, but, once in a while, I can't stop it buying a bag of tortilla chips...once taking a bite, I could not stop eating...

of course, after eating way too much...I am depressed, frustrated, and angry of myself...

RE: I am frustrated...
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I think most of us have something. I know I do, and yes tortilla chips would rank on that list for me. I love crunch and salt. Unfortunately, for me, that also can include nuts and nuts and their yummy butters will earn me a ticket to The Biggest Loser!

At one time I found a recipe for toasted seasoned chickpeas, they were really good and I think I need to find that recipe again!

Try to make sure that you have eaten enough at meal time, when it comes to snack try to fill yourself with the best choice available. When I know I am in the mood to eat, eat, and eat some more (in otherwords eat myself sick) I try to do it with something better. One favorite is watermelon lightly salted. For some reason that one can really satisfy!

Find what works/helps for you and keep it close by. Find something to do that you can't eat at the same time. Chew your food thoroughly! Count to 50 with each mouthful. Close you eyes, ignore TV, etc. and
taste, really taste, your food. Drink LOTS of water and if you MUST eat the things that are not the best for you, as in chips, eat one at a time using the rules.
1. No distractions.
2. CHEW until liquid is left.
3. TASTE.
4. Eat slowly, one bite at a time.

That is all I can offer, I hope it helps!

Kym

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Edited 09/19/12 12:13 PM
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I doubt there is anyone here who cannot relate to this scene. There is no question that something rich in fat and salt is going to be yummy and addictive. My "easier to say than do" response is don't even buy the stuff. If it makes its way in front of you through no fault of your own, don't even eat just one. Not that one would be so bad, but one leads to many, as you have attested.

When I go out to Mexican restaurants, I never eat the free chips. I don't even start. It's just bad news. If the chips have to stay on the table for others' enjoyment, I ask the server to bring me fresh tortillas (corn or flour) which I dip in the salsa. After a few times of choosing this alternative, realizing it can be done, and feeling like a total winner at the end of the night, it's not so hard to say no to chips anymore!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Oh my gosh! I won't even let my husband bring ANYTHING chip-like in the house. There's a product in the US called "pop-chips" I can and will eat an entire bag by myself. that's why I won't go near them. I'm with Susan, if I'm at a Mexi restaurant I'll tell they server, no chips ,but I'll keep the salsa.

Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Susan and Marge.... to have your willpower! Smile

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 1:03 PM

A friend recently told me, after witnessing me beat myself up about a coffee addiction I am obsessed with kicking, that there is some evidence that the object of one's addiction is not the issue, it is the addictive behaviour itself. Chances are if you kick tortilla chips, you will just switch to something worse! Maybe count your blessings.

On the object of addiction replacement mode, I have found that sprouted chickpeas are perfect... crunchy with no added oil, spice, nothing! They can easily replace nuts or chips. When I have them I find that it is the crunch that makes me happy, so I guess it isn't the salt or the fat.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM

You can make your own tortilla chips by tearing corn tortillas into small pieces and toasting in the oven until they're as done as you like. They're quite a bit thicker than store bought, which makes them better for certain dips since they don't break.

Come visit me at:
http://vegpedlr.net

Posted Thursday, September 20, 2012 at 12:03 AM

today...I tried...very hard, and control myself not eating tortilla chips when my husband and a friend were eating...I kept telling myself not to eat or I won't be able to stop...I need this willpower...

I love the chickpeas idea...I did that couple times...but, I end up, again...had way too much chickpeas...not sure that is a good idea or not...

Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Try those serving size bags of endamame, dust generously with sea salt, does the trick for me. I get them at Costco, 3 min in the microwave. I always pack a bag to snack on in the late afternoon.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 410 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: plombierparis

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org