21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: A few pounds makes a difference
Created on: 09/19/12 01:59 PM Views: 1275 Replies: 9
A few pounds makes a difference
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I recently hurt my back (just a muscle strain) and truly am having a hard time getting around.

I picked up my puppy who weighs just 13 pounds, and instantly felt the increased, intense pain in my back. He was sleeping and I was going to carry him to my chair for a snuggle... but found with the increased pain, I could not pick up my feet to walk, but could only shuffle and the pain was intense. It got me to thinking, that I carry about about 25 extra pounds (which is 2 of him!), even being a long time veg, what a enormous difference not having that weight would make on my joints!

Just food for thought but as I wait for my back to heal, it sure makes me think how much faster it would happen without those exra 25 pounds.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

RE: A few pounds makes a difference
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I hope your back heals up nice & quickly. Pain is awful. I have a shoulder/back/neck that is in constant pain from an accident. I have noticed that it is much worse with the extra weight I have put on. So I agree with you that the extra weight does worsen the pain.

It's funny when I know that technically I am healthier than most of my skinny friends, but yet actually weigh more. It's amazing what stress & depression & not eating can do to you. lol I am not used to the excess weight and have a major goal to reach by Dec.

Again I hope your back heals up quickly!

Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 2:15 PM

oops double post!

Edited 09/19/12 2:16 PM
Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Thank you Dollgirl!

I hope it heals up quickly as well. Let's keep working together and get rid of these extra pounds and feel better!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 2:22 PM

You got it! Smile

Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Kym

This is amazing. I'm in the middle of researching this very topic.

Do any of the following things apply to you ?:

1) Low green vegetable consumption.
2) High salt consumption.
3) Not much sunlight exposure.

Wash your back

Posted Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM

theodore wrote:

Kym

This is amazing. I'm in the middle of researching this very topic.

Do any of the following things apply to you ?:

1) Low green vegetable consumption.
2) High salt consumption.
3) Not much sunlight exposure.

1. I don't tend to eat leafy greens, but I do eat other green vegies. I need to learn to love the leafy ones!

2. I wouldn't say high salt, but definitely not low salt.

3. Yes, I avoid sun exposure. I am fair skinned and it isn't a good combo...

Posted Thursday, September 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Oceandog wrote:

I recently hurt my back (just a muscle strain) and truly am having a hard time getting around.

I picked up my puppy who weighs just 13 pounds, and instantly felt the increased, intense pain in my back. He was sleeping and I was going to carry him to my chair for a snuggle... but found with the increased pain, I could not pick up my feet to walk, but could only shuffle and the pain was intense. It got me to thinking, that I carry about about 25 extra pounds (which is 2 of him!), even being a long time veg, what a enormous difference not having that weight would make on my joints!

Just food for thought but as I wait for my back to heal, it sure makes me think how much faster it would happen without those exra 25 pounds.

Oceandog,

So sorry about the back. Sometimes all it takes is a little tweak of a degree of moving or lifting in a certain direction and - pow!

Your thoughts on doggy weight relating to that which you carry brought back the memory of buying a 5 lb sack of flour once and as I picked it up I remember thinking - wow, that's about how much weight I lost over the last couple of months - when you put it all in one place like that, it really is something! Then I went and grabbed a pound box of butter off the shelf just to get a sense of loss of fat weight - and space! Interesting comparisons!

Hope the back feels better soon.

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Thursday, September 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Oceandog wrote:

Oceandog,

So sorry about the back. Sometimes all it takes is a little tweak of a degree of moving or lifting in a certain direction and - pow!

Your thoughts on doggy weight relating to that which you carry brought back the memory of buying a 5 lb sack of flour once and as I picked it up I remember thinking - wow, that's about how much weight I lost over the last couple of months - when you put it all in one place like that, it really is something! Then I went and grabbed a pound box of butter off the shelf just to get a sense of loss of fat weight - and space! Interesting comparisons!

Hope the back feels better soon.

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Lani

Good point! I have picked up a 10-pound bag of potatoes many times or even a 25-pound bag of bird seed and thought "I have lost this much weight,wow!". It truly does make a big difference, even 5 pounds. I can only dream how good I will feel with my 25 off!

Yes, you guessed it correctly, I lifted something out of my car (like I do every week) and had no idea. I sat down and 20 minutes later couldn't stand up without assitance, and had to shuffle my feet, couldn't even lift them to walk. I have been wearing a TENS unit during the day and what a difference that makes! I am on the road to recovery and hopefully a new drive to lose weight!

Posted Thursday, September 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Oceandog,

It sounds like a muscle spasm and man those HURT! Crying or Very sad TENS is great for that - the best!

Lani

facebook
lanimuelrath.com

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 301 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: Susan Levin

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org