21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: B12
Created on: 04/23/12 11:03 AM Views: 389 Replies: 1
B12
Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I read Skinny Bitch over the weekend. Great Book, but I have a question... I believe the research behind Veganism so do not take this the wrong way, but...

If the only way you can get B12 is from meat, wouldn't that mean that our bodies need meat? If a person needs to take a supplement to get this IMPORTANT vitamin from their diet without meat, it makes everything I have read and researched seem like another fad.

Help me please because this point is confusing to me...

Dee

RE: B12
Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Dee,

I leave myself open to be corrected, but...

It is my understanding that before the current practices of animal farming with the changes in feed and methods of handling wastes, B12 was in the soils and it was not an issue.

Factory farming has done a lot of damage to our environment on many levels.

I have been doing this for a very long time. I eat mostly organic, non processed. I have never, ever had a shortage of B12 and only sporadically have supplemented.

I believe it is about balance. There are cultures (not here in US) that have primarily lived on a vegan diet and have no issues, but then they do not have the industrialization we do here, nor the factory farming.

I am sure someone will chime in and give you a better, more intellectual answer, but I wanted to get it started.

Best wishes
Kym

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 519 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: wackyazz

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org