21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: B12
Created on: 04/23/12 11:03 AM Views: 802 Replies: 2
B12
Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I read Skinny Bitch over the weekend. Great Book, but I have a question... I believe the research behind Veganism so do not take this the wrong way, but...

If the only way you can get B12 is from meat, wouldn't that mean that our bodies need meat? If a person needs to take a supplement to get this IMPORTANT vitamin from their diet without meat, it makes everything I have read and researched seem like another fad.

Help me please because this point is confusing to me...

Dee

RE: B12
Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Great question. Maybe this will help clear it up:

B12 is made by neither animals nor plants; it is made by bacteria. Presumably, before the advent of modern hygiene, the bacteria in the soil and on plants provided traces of B12.

More here: http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=225

I like to remind people that many of our foods are fortified and supplemented with nutrients that are grossly lacking in the standard American diet. That includes an array of B vitamins readily available in plants yet which meat eaters are generally not getting enough (folate, thiamin, riboflavin, etc.).

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Edited 04/23/12 12:33 PM
RE: B12
Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM

HeyFabDee wrote:

I read Skinny Bitch over the weekend. Great Book, but I have a question... I believe the research behind Veganism so do not take this the wrong way, but...

If the only way you can get B12 is from meat, wouldn't that mean that our bodies need meat? If a person needs to take a supplement to get this IMPORTANT vitamin from their diet without meat, it makes everything I have read and researched seem like another fad.

Help me please because this point is confusing to me...

Dee

No, our bodies need B-12. Meat is currently asource of it because it is created in the bodies of the animals by the combined action of what they eat and their internal bacteria. Many people, not just vegans, may be low on B-12 and other things. That's why so many foods have added B-12 and other vitamins and minerals. Given that vegans are just a percentage of the population, why would manufacturers 'fortify' so many foods (which means added expense to them and the consumer) if only a small vegan percentage of the consumers needed them?

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 231 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org