21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: GI Upset?
Created on: 01/15/12 06:28 PM Views: 1441 Replies: 5
GI Upset?
Posted Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM

About 10 days into kickstart, feeling great, enjoying new foods and have lost a few pounds (one of my goals). Who knew you could be satisfied without meat and dairy?!

The only problem I am having is some GI upset. It's been pretty constant. I know that adding fiber can be a major source of the discomfort. I have been diligent about adding water and fluids.

Typical breakfast is banana and PB with multi-bran Chex.
Lunch is soup, crackers, veggies
Dinner is greens, raw veggies and canola oil based dressing - or pasta, marinara and sauteed veges - or baked potato and side of steamed veges
Snacks are fruit, nuts or popcorn

Any suggestions? Or, do I give my GI system a little more time to adapt?

Thank you!

--Sandy

RE: GI Upset?
Posted Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Definitely give your gut more time to adapt. But don't hesitate to cook your vegies longer in the meantime, i.e., steam longer and don't eat them raw. As soon as you build up all that good bacteria in your colon and bad stuff starts moving out, you are going to feel so much better. THEN you can handle more raw and almost anything else you throw down the pipes.

FYI - I have heard from several people in the past that eating a lot of popcorn can be difficult to comfortably digest. Corn has a lot of indigestible fiber which means it's not going anywhere except into the stomach and down through the colon - not much to digest into the blood. Something to consider if you are eating big servings in one sitting.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I too have noticed GI upset, mine is in the form of heartburn. Not sure why?

Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 at 8:35 AM

you need to add fiber slowly if you're not used to it and also make sure you are soaking your beans and then not using the same water to cook in. Hopefully, that will help. Definitely give it time.

Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Before plant based food diet...I had heart burn. When I started the plant based diet I had the GI upset (most people do for a while). It all went away and now I can eat anything (vegan of course) - including hot peppers and citrus. The key for me was not only the plants - BUT it was ALSO a very low fat diet.
I noticed your diet might have a lot of fat in it.
Try cutting out the fat for a week - you will notice a big difference. (and probably not go back to the fat...)

Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Thx all for the feedback. I did cut down on raw intake today, the upset has abated a bit.

Point well taken on the amount of fat intake, I will keep that in mind. Still in the big learning curve.

I am so happy with everything else...increase in energy, decrease in cravings, weight loss, not feeling the least bit deprived and very satisfied...Vegans, where have you been all my life?? LOL

--Sandy

Edited 01/16/12 8:53 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 442 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org