21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: egg substitute
Created on: 12/28/12 07:18 PM Views: 1995 Replies: 13
egg substitute
Posted Friday, December 28, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I just bought vegan cheese and rice milk. Are there some type of vegan eggs on the market?

RE: egg substitute
Posted Friday, December 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

There is an egg substitute that you can use- you can probably find it at a natural foods store. You can also use flaxseed. I think it's 1 Tbsp flaxseed with 3 Tbsp water. Make sure it's ground flaxseed. I've never liked that much, but I did find luck with Ener-G Egg replacer. Then, when it comes to scrambles and things like that, tofu is a great substitute. Paprika gives it a little color to make it look like you're eating eggs. Laughing

Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 6:05 AM

Someone just told me about a product called Vegg. She loves it but I haven't tried it yet. You can get it on amazon.

I have had terrific results using tofu in place of eggs, butter and oil. And also soy yogurt can sub.

Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Meady wrote:

I just bought vegan cheese and rice milk. Are there some type of vegan eggs on the market?

Hey Meady!

I also depends on what the qualities are that you are looking for. Sometimes eggs are for leavening, sometimes binding, sometimes for both!

I use the Ener-G too yet frankly think that baking powder may do the trick just as well - I haven't done a scientific experiment but tend to just grab one or the other!

But if you are looking for a main-dish egg alternative, scrambled tofu is an option.

Lani

facebook

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Lani is right, in the last kickstart I made the breakfast scramble with tofu and my husband still doesn't know that he was eating tofu! I think, though, the next time I make it I will leave out some of the tumeric. It gave it a nice color but tasted too "mustardy" for me.

Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 1:03 PM

DebB wrote:

Lani is right, in the last kickstart I made the breakfast scramble with tofu and my husband still doesn't know that he was eating tofu! I think, though, the next time I make it I will leave out some of the tumeric. It gave it a nice color but tasted too "mustardy" for me.

DebB - really? He thought he was eating eggs? You must be one heck of a cook!

And I am TOTALLY with you on the turmeric. It has a bitter edge and even though a healthy addition, I would use just enough for the color if I were cooking it, too. Hey, how about smokey paprika? It's a new fave and gives good color!

Lani

facebook

Lani Muelrath, M.A. CGFI, CPBN
Fit Quickies: The Plant-Based Fitness Book

Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Be careful with cheese substitutes. I just popped a Mexican casserole in the oven. In place of cheese, I used the "No-Cheese Sauce" from the FOK cookbook. I simplified to: 1 large yellow onion, 1 large red bell pepper (seeded), 1 cup nutritional yeast, 1 tsp of salt. Coarsely chop onion & bell pepper...toss everything in blender with 1/4 cup of water..blend on high and "da da!"...healthy cheese substitute. For egg substitutes in baked goods, I use the 1 Tbsp ground flax seed with 3 Tbsp water or 1 Tbsp corn starch (I think you can find vegan corn starch...I just use regular) per egg.

Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Thank you for all replies-very helpful. I originally meant scrambled eggs. Your responses reminded me that I may need to substitute eggs in certain recipes. I didn't think about that. I've been researching and getting ready for the KICKSTART on the 1st. You will be hearing a lot from me...I'm too excited!

Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 8:43 PM

LANI WROTE:
DebB - really? He thought he was eating eggs? You must be one heck of a cook!

LOL, no, I'm not that great of a cook, he just eats anything and never complains. He did comment that I had been cooking some strange things lately after I had been vegan for 3-4 mo.
Smokey paprika sounds yummy, I will have to look for some.

Posted Saturday, December 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM

[quote=He did comment that I had been cooking some strange things lately after I had been vegan for 3-4 mo. [/quote]

LOL!!!

Posted Monday, December 31, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Watch out on some of those cheese substitutes. I picked one up that said vegan and it has casein in it.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 12:36 AM

chia seeds also work the same as flax seeds.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM

linnie81 wrote:

Watch out on some of those cheese substitutes. I picked one up that said vegan and it has casein in it.

Also on other foods that look too good to be true, like fat free fig newtons, look for the ingredient "whey". 100% non-vegan. Note: under .5 grams fat per serving can be listed as fat free.

This is important to watch especially if you are going vegan for heart health reasons.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM

LaniMuelrath wrote:

Meady wrote:

Hey Meady!

I also depends on what the qualities are that you are looking for. Sometimes eggs are for leavening, sometimes binding, sometimes for both!

I use the Ener-G too yet frankly think that baking powder may do the trick just as well - I haven't done a scientific experiment but tend to just grab one or the other!

But if you are looking for a main-dish egg alternative, scrambled tofu is an option.

Lani

facebook

Since we don't 'do' large amounts of soy (Like tofu), we haven't found a straight egg replacement for things like scrambled eggs. However, ground flaxseed works in baking type things (we buy it whole and grind it as needed to keep it fresher). If it's something light colored (like cookies), we use golden flax to avoid the dark flecks - for our household it wouldn't matter much, but if we're baking, there are usually others outside our family involved (potlucks, extended family gatherings, etc) so not seeing the dark flecks is a good thing. And, as was mentioned, if the egg is used as leavening (like in fudgy brownies), then you need to add baking powder to get them to rise (learned that one the hard way! Laughing ) I just looked at the 'cake' brownie recipe on the next page from my favorite fudgy brownie recipe and added that much baking powder. It wasn't quite as gooey but it wasn't flat as an unbaked pancake either.

Also, you might want to double check the cheese and make sure it is vegan - some sub cheeses still contain casein even if they were made with vegan rennet.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 610 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: slt

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org