21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: [Sticky] Welcome!
Created on: 12/29/12 09:12 AM Views: 21946 Replies: 131
RE: Welcome!
Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Happy New Year All,
This is my first kickstart and I'm excited to be here. Good luck to everyone and hopefully this will be the year that we all remain or get healthy ourselves and are able to inspire others. Thanks for doing this for all of us.

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 5:58 PM

"Whole" is preferred when consuming grains. So, whole wheat pasta is less refined and therefore more nutrient dense than white pasta, same with brown vs. white rice, but all are acceptable on the Kickstart.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM

beatrice30 wrote:

1. what is considered low-fat? I am on the thin side and breastfeeding. I have trouble maintaining a healthy weight while breastfeeding. Is a low-fat diet healthy for me too?

2. Some of the recipes on the site appear to use refined grains as well as the suggestions for eating out (ie pizza or pasta). Am I to understand that some use of refined grains is ok? What would be a good ratio of whole grain: refined grains to aim for?

1. Meat, dairy, oil, nuts, seeds, avocados, olives = high fat. If you're trying to keep your weight up you can enjoy the higher calorie dense plant foods(nuts, seeds, avocados), breads, and cereals. Those that are trying to lose will do better if they limit them.

2. Eating WHOLE grains are better, but not always possible for some recipes and eating out. Yes, eating some is ok.

Edited 01/03/13 9:35 AM
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Jodie wrote:

beatrice30 wrote:

1. what is considered low-fat? I am on the thin side and breastfeeding. I have trouble maintaining a healthy weight while breastfeeding. Is a low-fat diet healthy for me too?

2. Some of the recipes on the site appear to use refined grains as well as the suggestions for eating out (ie pizza or pasta). Am I to understand that some use of refined grains is ok? What would be a good ratio of whole grain: refined grains to aim for?

1. Meat, dairy, oil, nuts, seeds, avocados, olives = high fat. If you're trying to keep your weight up you can enjoy the higher calorie dense plant foods(nuts, seeds, avocados), breads, and cereals. Those that are trying to lose will do better if they limit them.

2. Eating refined grains are better, but not always possible for some recipes and eating out. Yes, eating some is ok.

LOL. Just realized I had a slip up on #2.

2. Eating WHOLE grains are better!

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM

We have a Vitamax on order with delivery expected tomorrow. I'm happy to hear about your experience and hope to duplicate it.
My story is not quite as dramatic as yours, but I do have diabetes, have had both knees replaced and three spinal surgeries, plus high blood pressure, sinus issues, etc.
We are trying to go not only vegan, but also gluten free.
Check out the book 'The China Study'. If that doesn't convince you to stay vegan, you're not understanding what you read!

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM

norm917 wrote:

We are trying to go not only vegan, but also gluten free.

Gluten free is not a necessary step unless you have an intolerance or celiac disease. By excluding gluten, you'll just be eliminating a large category of delicious vegan choices that would make switching to this lifestyle much easier for you.

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM

We do seem to have a gluten intolerance, so I'm happy to see gluten free receipes.
We're going to start off trying a week of just green smoothies, then transitioning to the KickStart program.
Rolling Eyes

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM

norm917 wrote:

We do seem to have a gluten intolerance, so I'm happy to see gluten free receipes.
We're going to start off trying a week of just green smoothies, then transitioning to the KickStart program.
Rolling Eyes

You wouldn't know if you have a gluten intolerance or not without doing an elimination diet.

See if you feel better after you're week of green smoothies and gradually add back foods that you think you are intolerant to. Add them back one at a time to see if you react to that individual item.

For more (better) information on how to do an elimination diet, check here...

Allergic Reactions to Food

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM

norm917 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Everyone I know who has a Vitamix absolutely LOVES and swears by them. I have a Blentec which is good but I would love to get a Vitamix down the road.

I started green smoothies this week. I never imagined a green smoothie would taste good, and you honestly can't taste the spinach. I've been putting coconut milk in mine which seems to add a creaminess.

I've watched Forks over Knives which talks about the China study...definitely a great motivator.

Best of luck to you on your new healthy path in life!!

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 3:12 PM

norm917 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Hi,

Its not really related to the kickstart but if you want some green smoothie ideas and havent already seen it, check out the movie "Fat, sick and nearly dead" and the web site. The main participants did green smoothies for a period of weeks to improve health - under a doctors supervision and with regular blood tests etc to make sure everything ok. The results were really interesting but I dont want to spoil the movie for you.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 4:07 PM

kiwi wrote:

norm917 wrote:
Rolling Eyes

Hi,

Its not really related to the kickstart but if you want some green smoothie ideas and havent already seen it, check out the movie "Fat, sick and nearly dead" and the web site. The main participants did green smoothies for a period of weeks to improve health - under a doctors supervision and with regular blood tests etc to make sure everything ok. The results were really interesting but I dont want to spoil the movie for you.

That one is one my list to watch! Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM

bokieroll wrote:

Hi Susan,

This is my second attempt at a vegan diet. The first time was April 2011. I loved eating this way, felt good, had great energy BUT...... My 280 total cholesterol, 190 bad LDL stayed exactly the same after 9 weeks on the diet. I was discouraged and quit the vegan diet. On the other hand, I have tried low carbing twice and both times lost significant weight and my bloodwork came back with a below 200 total. 150 ldl and 68 HDL. THis past year, my cardiologist said whatever I was doing was working and stay low carb because it works for me.
Please help me. I am trying vegan again because I LIKE IT. IT makes me feel good, but I would feel better if I saw an improvement in my numbers. Any advice?? I am a 62 year old male, work out, currently weigh 215 at 6' 1"

For some, refined grains (even whole wheat flour) up their lipid results (cholesterol etc). Which is probably why you did well on low carb - you were cutting out refined grains most likely. Try sticking with lots of greens, other veggies, fruit, beans, and legumes and going easy on grains (try cutting flour-based products entirely - breads, crackers, pastas, etc). Whole grains like quinoa, barley, brown rice can add fiber and fullness. Also, hit the oatmeal (real, not instant) - hubby did 6 months of oatmeal for breakfast several years ago (it just happened that way because it was fall/winter here in New England). He had blood work done in early fall and again in the spring. The doctor did a double take because his lipid levels had dropped dramatically - the changes he made were: dropping red meat and eating oatmeal once a day. That's it.

--DebR

Posted Friday, January 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Brokendoll1982 wrote:

This is my second attempt at the Kickstart but not at being vegan, that I have been for just over 4 years now...

I mainly struggle with concentrating on Wholefoods as I am a bit prone to picking up convienience foods instead...

Had my oatmeal, feeling good... Happy New Year/Kickstart everyone!

That's where having a menu plan is helpful - if you plan ahead and have everything on hand that you need, you're less likely to hit the 'convenience' foods. You can make ahead, pre-once, eat-many, etc. You won't get halfway through the recipe and realize you're missing a main ingredient (like you've only got 1/3 cup of rice instead of 1 cup that you need to cook for the family size). Spend an afternoon cooking up several entrees and sides then package them up in fridge/freezer containers so they become your 'convenience' foods.

--DebR

Posted Saturday, January 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM

(try cutting flour-based products entirely - breads, crackers, pastas, etc). Whole grains like quinoa, barley, brown rice can add fiber and fullness.

Thanks Bugsmom. I think you nailed it. The first attempt at vegan in April 2011, I always seemed to substitute a pasta dish or bread dish when I didn't want to try or like a new vegan recipe. Probably because it was easy. I will cut the flour based products out of my diet. i am sure that will make a difference. Thanks again.

Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I started this with my sister on 1/1. This is my first time going Vegan. I was just wondering if it is ok to drink coffee while on this? Thank you

Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Many of us still drink coffee. Be careful what you put into it. Avoid cream or other fatty substances. Do a "search" for coffee in the forum and you will find several discussions threads with great information.

Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Hi! So, I was wondering, does the menu ever change for the 21 day meal plan? I think I checked it like a year ago and it's still the same thing.

Thanks!

Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Hello all.
Let me introduce myself by saying my husband and I have eaten mostly vegan for several years now. Richard has Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson's Disease and is 85. I am 79 (for a couple more months). I attribute our long life to our vegetarian, then vegan eating for many years.
I have had a problem for the last four months - since we had to rent an apartment, and, of course, pay rent. Our budget is quite limited, and I am trying to feed the two of us on $33 per week.
The menus here look so wonderful, and we have always previously eaten well, but I am finding it difficult to manage lots of fruits and veggies on such a limited amount. As a matter of fact, I have gained about twenty pounds in the four months we have been in our new home.
Any ideas, anybody?

Posted Friday, January 11, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Buy in bulk. I get potatoes, onions, apples, bananas, mushrooms, peppers, etc at Costco. I also use a lot of frozen fruits and veggies, that way there is no waste, nothing goes bad. I use asian markets for large bottles of soy and tamari, and 20 lb bags of rice. If you can find a good one they have cheap fresh produce too.

Posted Sunday, January 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Hi all - what a great forum!

My son (17) is doing a 30 day vegan kick start here in the UK with various college friends and so I have been researching vegan food/Recipies so I can support him. After several days concentrated research my husband and I are also very excited to do this with him as we feel it will be very beneficial (we both have high cholesterol) and he needs to lose a few pounds! My son is worried though that I will lose weight (I'm about 115 pounds and 5'4") and I have got quite thin in the past which causes health problems. But reading lots of information makes me think I will be eating more food and enjoy it more. So, sorry for rambling on, but I look forward to this journey with you all.

Kirsty

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 255 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: sailorgirl

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org