21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: [Sticky] Welcome!
Created on: 12/29/12 09:12 AM Views: 20419 Replies: 109
RE: Welcome!
Posted Monday, January 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Just a question about the Forum itself. What does "There are XX active user sessions right now." refer to?

email
Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Okiebenz wrote:

Just a question about the Forum itself. What does "There are XX active user sessions right now." refer to?

I'm not positive, but I believe that is the number of people currently logged into the forum.

Posted Monday, January 28, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Like Fotobow, I noticed that the menu is the same...does anyone know if it will change in February? I'd like to plan out the meals, but Feb 1 is this Friday so I would like to be ready...

Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Tips for osteoporosis?

Hi, I have always gone heavy on the dairy products. I even drink hot milk at 3 am if I can't get back to sleep. Despite this, my osteoporosis has advanced.

So my question is NOT what to substitute for the 3am sleep aide. My question is
Is a vegan diet appropriate for someone with osteoporosis?. I might add that I do not want to take supplements or possibly-harmful drugs.

Ssklar

Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Tips for osteoporosis?

Hi, I have always gone heavy on the dairy products. I even drink hot milk at 3 am if I can't get back to sleep. Despite this, my osteoporosis has advanced.

Is a vegan diet appropriate for someone with osteoporosis?. I might add that I do not want to take supplements or possibly-harmful drugs.

Ssklar

Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Hi Ssklar,

I'm not a doctor and don't pretend to play one, but there is a ton of literature out there about the myth of dairy helping your body absorb calcium. I think it may be making your arthiritis worse. Here is a link to just one of many websites (you may have to copy and paste it into your browser): http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

Also, in the Forks over Knives book this is referenced as well as in the Kick Start book by Dr. Barnard.

Hope this helps.

Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 9:32 PM

jeannemarie wrote:

Hi Ssklar,

I'm not a doctor and don't pretend to play one, but there is a ton of literature out there about the myth of dairy helping your body absorb calcium. I think it may be making your arthiritis worse. Here is a link to just one of many websites (you may have to copy and paste it into your browser): http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

Also, in the Forks over Knives book this is referenced as well as in the Kick Start book by Dr. Barnard.

Hope this helps.

Ssklar- jeannemarie is correct. Milk is not your friend.

From pcrm.org Health Concerns about Dairy Products

"Milk’s main selling point is calcium, and milk-drinking is touted for building strong bones in children and preventing osteoporosis in older persons. However, clinical research shows that dairy products have little or no benefit for bones.
the Harvard Nurses’ Health Study,2 which followed more than 72,000 women for 18 years, showed no protective effect of increased milk consumption on fracture risk.
In fact, among the most physically active girls, those who got the most calcium in their diets (mostly from dairy products) had more than double the risk of stress fractures.3"

And that's just covering osteoporosis, if you read the article you'll find many more truths about milk, and how it is NOT GOOD for you!!!

Posted Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM

ssklar wrote:

Tips for osteoporosis?

Ssklar

I just realized we jumped on the band wagon to tell you how bad dairy is without giving you any tips for osteoporosis. Sorry about that.

Here is an article from PCRM about bone health.
Protecting Your Bones

Posted Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Day 3 for me, no weight loss yet but certainly eating healthier. Great to read all the posts, very motivating. My problem with diets in the past is if the scale didn't move, I quit. No patience and hungry. Fortunately I look at this as not a weight loss diet but a better way to eat (although I do need to lose weight). I've tried so many diets, my wife is sure I'll quit this one too. I can't say anything bad about my wife, her comment is a reflection on my past diet performance. I'm sure I won't be perfect. However, I honestly believe this is a very healthy way to live and I will do my best to continue. It would also be nice to lower my 240 cholesterol.

Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I saw Dr Barnard on PBS very recently and actually started my 21 days on Tuesday. I'm feeling good but very thirsty, with frequent urination and needing to eat every couple of hours because I get an energy lag. Do these things sound normal? This is my first time to try a vegan diet, but all I had to cut was olive oil and chicken and fish to get there (and cut back some on the amount of almonds I was eating). I am not eating any grains at this point (will start some black rice tonight or tomorrow) but eating lots of greens, beans, mushrooms, fruit, green peas, chia seeds, handful of almonds. I did an internet search and saw some comments about vegans getting enough salt. I did realize that I have not been eating much salt, since I was accustomed to getting my salt previously with the seasoning of the animal protein, and I did switch from Organic chicken broth to low sodium vegetable broth. Thanks for any advice!

Posted Saturday, March 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM

maggiequay wrote:

I saw Dr Barnard on PBS very recently and actually started my 21 days on Tuesday. I'm feeling good but very thirsty, with frequent urination and needing to eat every couple of hours because I get an energy lag. Do these things sound normal? This is my first time to try a vegan diet, but all I had to cut was olive oil and chicken and fish to get there (and cut back some on the amount of almonds I was eating). I am not eating any grains at this point (will start some black rice tonight or tomorrow) but eating lots of greens, beans, mushrooms, fruit, green peas, chia seeds, handful of almonds. I did an internet search and saw some comments about vegans getting enough salt. I did realize that I have not been eating much salt, since I was accustomed to getting my salt previously with the seasoning of the animal protein, and I did switch from Organic chicken broth to low sodium vegetable broth. Thanks for any advice!

I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, but I have some guesses. I don't know about the increased thirst, but the frequent urination could be because you are ingesting so much more water just from the foods you are now consuming. I used to drink a lot of water on the standard american diet, but since switching to this way of eating, I don't really get thirsty anymore.

Feeling like you need to eat more frequently, well you also mentioned that you have been only eating the less calorie dense items, so you may just be hungry. That will most likely go away if you eat more calorie dense items, like the grains you've been avoiding. Careful with the most calorie dense items though, nuts and seeds. Those are mostly fat and your body just loves to store that.

Salt. You get plenty of salt naturally in your food. You do not need to add any on top of that.

Posted Saturday, May 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Just wanted to throw in my two cents on osteoporosis. I've always been lactose intolerant (which truly helped me decide on a vegan diet years ago!).

My parents years.back worried, so I believe they were told to give me substitute calcium in other foods and EXERCISE! Weight bearing, like walking, running etc. I've kept up this protocol, not supplementing much with calcium but incorporating it in my diet thru researching high calcium foods and learning more about absorption and assimilation of these alternative sources. I love to work out, so that's helpful.

A few years ago, i had my first DEXA checking for bone health and was told I was in darn good shape for a (then) 55 year old, my GP tells me thank goodness my original pediatrician in the late 1950-1960's was ahead of his time with his advice!

Good luck! P

Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Greetings!

This will be my first time attempting a vegan lifestyle. I am certain that I will learn from this experience.

I am allergic to mushrooms and soy. When those ingredients are called for in recipes, would you suggest I omit those ingredients, or would you suggest specific substitutions?

Thanks,
Rita

Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I think either option works. You can always use any of variety of bean to substitute out a soy product such as tofu or tempeh. And any other vegetable in place of mushrooms works too!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Something like eggplant, cut up into cubes, might work nicely for mushrooms because they both absorb flavors and have a bit of a meaty texture.

If soy is being used as a protein (grilled marinated tofu for example) or as a dairy sub (using silken tofu for a creamy dessert), other beans don't work very well. If it's being used in a 'burger' patty, then beans of various sorts work quite well. Soaked raw almonds or cashews can be whirred in the food processor to create a 'cream' type base for creamy sauces (or use almond or cashew butter, unsalted and smooth).

--DebR

Posted Sunday, June 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Feel so lucky to have found kickstart! Thank you for the opportunity to participate.

Thru the 80's and 90's I was Vegetarian for 12 years. I did include fish and dairy but still dropped to a size 4 and felt the best I ever felt n my life.
Fast forward to today. After several physical traumas, surgeries and widowing twice, my emotions took over and now I'm 50 lbs overweight and a size 16. Two years ago I met a doctor at a party who shared he had started a vegan lifestyle for health and suggested that if I did one thing for myself I should do the same. It's taken all this time, two more surgeries, and physical therapy, but i am finally ready to commit to health.
It's not easy, but I am determined to be fit and beautiful again. I've ordered Dr. Furhman's book. Yesterday I followed the recipe guides from this program and I added two stretching moves to my phys therapy routine. Today I'm off to the farmers market. I look so forward to the support this forum provides because I know that without it the journey will be arduous and not as much fun.
I am not setting goals for myself as such. I will not be using the scale or measuring anything or tracking numbers. The only goal I have is to be as faithful to this program as possible. I believe in it and I know all those other things will take care of themselves. I'll know it's working when I feel better, look in the mirror, and start buying new clothes!
Looking forward to participating in this community and supporting each other thru the next 21 days and beyond! Hurray for us all!

Posted Sunday, June 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Thank you for your grateful message--you're inspirational! I started a vegan diet 11 days ago primarily for my concern for all species and secondarily for my personal health. I've been vegetarian for many years, tho still ate dairy. I already feel so much better for living in accordance w/ my values insofar as non-human animals are concerned, and also feel healthier--belly bloat is down, more alert, clothing fits better Very Happy

Posted Sunday, June 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM

There's something really special about making a selfless choice only to find out that you benefit as much as anyone else. Right?

Not to say that choosing plant-based to take care of oneself is SELFISH. Quite the contrary. I think it's critical to a well-functioning and compassionate world.

Everybody wins!

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, June 2, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Thank you very much for your kind words!

Posted Thursday, October 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM

My name is Susan and I live in Alabama. I "officially" became a vegetarian in Dec. 2012, and after watching Forks Over Knives and reading The Engine 2 Diet, I've decided to make the jump and go vegan. I've had no dairy since Sunday (so this is VERY new!) and am concerned how I'll do without cheese. I had been eating cheese EVERY DAY, so this is quite a change for me. I already use soy or almond milk, so that's not a problem. I'm glad to find a place for some support on this journey.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 513 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org