21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: Exercise and Caloric Intake, how should one adjust
Created on: 01/16/12 10:46 AM Views: 1434 Replies: 6
Exercise and Caloric Intake, how should one adjust
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 at 10:46 AM

So, first time Kickstart Newbie here....
Just signed up for a Sprint Triathalon (In July) and as such have begun training: Running (treadmill for now, it's cold outside), Biking (stationary Bike), and Swimming.
Exercising a minimum of 5 days a week. Will start adding in strength training (core and cross fit in about 2 weeks).
Aside from wanting to live a Healthier life style, am also trying to lose a little weight.
Need recommendations however on how to adjust diet based on the amount of exercise - or if I should adjust (or not)
I'm not following the meal plan - however am following the dietary suggestions - no oils or fats (or minimal as in avocado and nuts here and there), all whole foods, whole grains, nothing processed...
Any suggestions would be most appreciated

RE: Exercise and Caloric Intake,
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 at 4:38 PM

shnovak wrote:

So, first time Kickstart Newbie here....
Just signed up for a Sprint Triathalon (In July) and as such have begun training: Running (treadmill for now, it's cold outside), Biking (stationary Bike), and Swimming.
Exercising a minimum of 5 days a week. Will start adding in strength training (core and cross fit in about 2 weeks).
Aside from wanting to live a Healthier life style, am also trying to lose a little weight.
Need recommendations however on how to adjust diet based on the amount of exercise - or if I should adjust (or not)
I'm not following the meal plan - however am following the dietary suggestions - no oils or fats (or minimal as in avocado and nuts here and there), all whole foods, whole grains, nothing processed...
Any suggestions would be most appreciated

Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're not. If you're burning more energy, you'll be hungrier. Fill up on whole grains, fruits, veggies. If you still need 'more', then add back a small amount of avocado and nuts - but wait and see if they're necessary since you're also wanting to lose weight. Keep in mind that you'll also need to add LOTS of water (not sports drinks!) You may see weight gain to start with as you adjust to the higher fiber content. You may also see some weight gain simply because muscle weighs more than flab. But, you'll notice that things fit better as you become more toned and fit, even if you don't see much of a weight difference right off.

As for details on that type of training, check the Celeb Tips section for Brendan Brazier - Ironman triathlete and vegan.

--Deb R

Exercise and Caloric Intake, how should one adjust
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 at 4:58 PM

shnovak wrote:

Agree with above. You don't need to adjust anything really. You eat as you have described. You probably will need more food (more calories) than the average chap with the training, but the weight loss should happen for you still.

Timing of food consumption may be an issue - what you eat before, how soon before and after you train, etc. But you probably know at this point what your body needs in terms of fuel and recovery.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Need exercise help
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 7:19 AM

My husband and I are first timers and we are so happy with the food and how we feel. We didn't weigh ourselves before we started the Kickstart. I knew I needed to change my eating habits and now 17 days in I feel fantastic, Next step is beginning an exercise habit... I need a push on this! It is freezing outside but, I am going to force myself out and take a little walk and then I am going to try out one of my DVD's for Keeping Fit in your 50's.... any encouragement or ideas are most welcome.

Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 7:32 AM

I love exercising outdoors but some days I set the stopwatch on my cell phone, play the radio or CDs I like and sometimes neither; and either walk, dance, or alternate, go up and down the stairs, move my arms at the same time or separate, walk in and out of rooms and down hallways, sometimes jog a little.

Try walking up and down steps a few times continuously..its quite a workout!!

do you have snow where you live? crosscountry skiing is a blast.

Edited 01/18/12 7:35 AM
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Great ideas for exercise! Thanks Very Happy

RE:
Posted Wednesday, January 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Your welcome. Good luck.

I am a crosscountry ski instructor.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 507 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: fatgmama

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org