21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: January 2012 Kickstart Forum: QUESTION RE. DIABETIC MEDICATIONS
Created on: 01/16/12 12:05 PM Views: 631 Replies: 1
QUESTION RE. DIABETIC MEDICATIONS
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 at 12:05 PM

What results are people getting on a plant based diet who are taking PIOGLITAZONE HCL and GLIYIZIDE?

RE: QUESTION RE. DIABETIC MEDICATIONS
Posted Monday, January 16, 2012 at 4:47 PM

GMansini wrote:

What results are people getting on a plant based diet who are taking PIOGLITAZONE HCL and GLIYIZIDE?

Not on either of those, but didn't want you to feel neglected since no one has popped in to answer. Could be there's no one on those meds here. I'm type 2 and on Janumet (januvia + metformin). So long as I actually stick to what I know is good - low fat; whole foods including whole grains, beans & legumes, fruits, vegetables; exercise - my glucose numbers are good. If I start veering off into nuts, added fats, dairy and/or don't get my butt off the couch to exercise, then I start to gain weight AND my numbers start to creep into not-good.

You may want to keep a food journal to keep track of what you eat and how that affects you - I know that there are certain yummy vegan meals that are actually too low glycemically even when I eat until I'm really full. And other equally yummy vegan meals that I have to be really careful with or I'll see an increase in my glucose levels. You might also want to correlate with your meds as well - the dosage might eventually need to be adjusted if you're getting too many lows because you're eating better, reducing insulin resistance and eating lower glycemic foods.

--Deb R

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 303 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: Wild4Stars

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org