21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: IBS-D
Created on: 09/21/12 07:40 AM Views: 1203 Replies: 6
IBS-D
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I have IBS-D and the insoluble fibre in the legumes (beans,lentils) triggers my IBS. I do take Digesta IBS enzymes but they don't help with this. I don't have any problems sticking to being Vegan; however, if I can't get my IBS under control I may have to stop and I would prefer not to.

Any suggestions? Question

RE: IBS-D
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Hmm, insoluble fiber is recommended for IBS and to decrease diarrhea. I wonder if perhaps you would be a good candidate for taking pro/pre biotics in order to get your gut flora in better fighting shape.

Without knowing your medical history, it's hard to say. I would suggest talking to your physician about whether that's a good idea for you. In the meantime, quick fixes for diarrhea are to eat refined starches like crackers and white bread. And make sure you are refueling with electrolytes that may have been lost.

More here: http://www.nutritionmd.org/consumers/gastrointestinal/ibs_nutrition.html

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Hi Susan,
Thank you for your reply. I have had IBS for 30 years and it's the soluble fibre that soothes my IBS. I will give pro-biotics a try. Is there a specific type/brand you would recommend?

Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I also have IBS which has been under control since I have started the plant-strong diet. The last time I had an episode my GI doctor recommended Align. You probably should check with your doctor before you make any changes, though, as Susan advised.

Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Thanks for your reply. I have seen align advertised on TV and plan to try it but so far haven't found it anywhere. Do you know if it is available in Canada? I am quite certain it is the beans causing the problem... Maybe I am eating to much beans.

Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Thanks for your reply. I have seen align advertised on TV and plan to try it but so far haven't found it anywhere. Do you know if it is available in Canada? I am quite certain it is the beans causing the problem... Maybe I am eating to much beans.

Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I don't know about availability in Canada. Beans don't give me a problem, so I'm not sure about that either.

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 226 active user sessions right now.
Registered Users Online: vt2539

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org