21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: April 2012 Kickstart Forum: NINJA 1000 BLENDER
Created on: 04/25/12 05:10 AM Views: 4901 Replies: 17
NINJA 1000 BLENDER
Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 5:10 AM

I came across this infomercial the other day. I believe it was the ninja 1000 or 1100 all in one blender. It can crush ice, make dough, smoothies, ice cream. Basically it is a juicer, food processor and blender all in one. Does anyone own this as I am thinking of buying it and having it on my counter as I use my food processor a lot in vegan recipes and my blender is not very good at all. I do have a juicer but you waste all the fiber, etc., from the veg/fruit you juice and with the ninja you blend everything and you eat the whole fruit/vegetable, no leftover pulp. My food processor was from a garage sale and my blender is cheap and old. I do have a juicer that wasn't that expensive that I can sell. Wondering if it's worth it to have this? Thoughts anyone?

Kathy

RE: NINJA 1000 BLENDER
Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 5:42 AM

I own one. I've had it for about a year. It is a very good buy for the price. It actually has a bit stronger motor that many of the slightly more expensive work horse blenders. The only stronger motor you can get in a blender is a vitamix, and that would cost maybe FIVE TIMES the amount. It isn't as strong as a vitamix. It won't make a smooth cream of hard veggies, but if you like the feel of a little fibre in your juices you should go ahead. I haven't used it for carrots. I'll try later today and let you know. I have used it for smoothies and nut butters and it works fine without motor stress.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Thank you for the reply! I have wondered about this model myself, as a gift for my daughter. I have a vitamix that I really like and wondered how they would compare.

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Thanks for the info. I forgot nut butters. I did peanut butter in the food processor and it took forever. Another bonus. I actually think I would like my "juicing" with a little more substance so I believe this is what I will get. Less stuff to haul out all the time. Thanks.

Kathy

Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Hang on!

The carrots didn't work.

You would have to use other more watery things with them. I do have a puree that will end up as a carrot / ginger pudding of some sort. That is amazing in itself, but it is not juice, sorry Smile

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Oceandog wrote:

I have a vitamix that I really like and wondered how they would compare.

I also have a vitamix. I can't imagine that any other blender comes close.

I still always stand and watch the vitamix demonstrations at Wholefoods. There's always a feeling of euphoria at those demonstrations. Gives everyone the feeling that we're in America. The land of dreams.

Wash your back

Edited 04/25/12 4:06 PM
Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Theodore wrote:
I can't imagine that any other blender comes close.

-----

I'm still saving up for mine! In the meantime I have some very nice unplanned carrot-ginger-apple pudding to keep me happy!

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 6:24 PM

gryphonpro wrote:

I'm still saving up for mine! In the meantime I have some very nice unplanned carrot-ginger-apple pudding to keep me happy!

Madeline,

If it's any consolation, I hear it's healthier to eat our food as intact as possible.

Wash your back

Posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I know I like the demonstrations too! I watch and learn and wonder why I didn't think of that!

Always offer kindness and a soft word to the beings around you; You do not know their journey. Your words can be the hug they need or the shove that breaks them.

Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I love the looks of awe on people's faces when they watch the vitamix at work. Then I tell them I've got one at home, and they look at me like I'm royalty. Which I practically am anyway, but it's nice to be thought of that way by strangers too.

Admittedly, I get the odd one who has that expression on their face, like, "why are you hanging around at the demonstration if you've already got one." Like I'm a pickpocket or something.

It's really a two edged sword the whole vitamix demo scene.

Wash your back

Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Okay, I can't stop myself any longer... a Ninja blender...does it make short work of ninjas? or is it really hard to find, just sneaking around in the kitchen and jumping out at you when you least expect it? is it really lethal?

--Deb R

Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I think it's a blender that's been made especially for ninjas. Basically so that ninjas see it and then take it to the check out, thereby giving their identity away. Then the store calls the police and the police arrest him. One more ninja thwarted. It's basically the food processing version of entrapment.

Wash your back

Edited 04/26/12 5:02 PM
Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Perhaps the Ninja blender has blades that whirl around powerfully "like a ninja warrior with swords".

Posted Friday, April 27, 2012 at 5:33 PM

gryphonpro wrote:

Theodore wrote:
I can't imagine that any other blender comes close.

-----

- madeline

Vitamix blenders were not available in New Zealand until recently. The cost here is $1295 for a vitamix 5200. Thats more than a weeks wages for me. It would need to be a great machine for that cost and I would expect it to last a life time.

I have added it to my wish list for when I strick it rich and win the lottery Wink

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Edited 04/27/12 5:34 PM
Posted Friday, April 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Kiwi

That price is outrageous! It is no where near the cost here in the US, I wonder why the difference???

Posted Saturday, April 28, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I saw that infomercial too and wanted one, but read a lot of reviews, especially of those who have had it over a year. They say it doesn't last more than a year and that the Cuisinart mini and the Kitchen Aid mini have much more powerful and sturdy motors.

As for a Vitamix, nothing holds a candle to a Vitamix. It's a war horse. But when you blend a small amount of things like hummus or a sauce or a dip, it takes a lot of effort to get it all out and you leave some in there. And I love my 40 year old Cuisinart food processor but arthritis in the hands makes it hard to get it out and put it back and there's not room to leave it out. So that's why I was looking for a smaller processor for small amounts. Think I will try the mini Cuisinart and the Kitchen Aid.

Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Oceandog wrote:

Kiwi

That price is outrageous! It is no where near the cost here in the US, I wonder why the difference???

I dont know. I did a quick internet search of local stores and found a place that sells them for $100 less than the above but its still over $1000. I know there is the cost of import to bring it here from overseas but its still a rip off at that price. I wont be getting one and will make do with what I have at present. Maybe as more come into the country and its not so new the price will drop. That has happened on other items such as digital big screen TVs and laptops.

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food - Hippocrates.

Posted Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I just saw on QVC the Vitamix being offered for today's special value of $429 with five easy payments of $85(no interest if you aren't familiar with QVC) and FREE shipping.
It's a new model--quieter and shorter. Our war horse is still working strong but wanted to share it with you who don't already have one and feel you could afford it.

There's a reason QVC is placed at the end of the cable news shows--when one is in commercial I turn to the next one and so on until I find myself at QVC. Smart QVC because I would never go to you otherwise!

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 228 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org