21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: About Ezekial...
Created on: 09/21/12 08:47 AM Views: 937 Replies: 3
About Ezekial...
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Just a little question, if you use sprouted grain products like Ezekial- I love the bread and always toast it. However I have had a problem with the tortillas, both the sprouted grain ww, and the corn. They are in the freezer section of my hfs, and I keep them in the freezer. But when I try to heat, and use, or "roll", they break apart. So what is the best way to use, heat,etc. Thanks

RE: About Ezekial...
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I have this problem with this tortilla brand as well. But they are so delicious! I often start off with a roll but quickly end up eating more of a taco salad type dish.

That's not much help, just commiserating.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Yeah, thanks a lot! Rolling Eyes

But I'm glad its not just me, I've looked for other brands of tortillas and wraps, but either they are really high in fat and calories, or taste awful. If anyone has found one they like and that seems really healthy let me know.

Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Can't say that I know a good brand these days because we just make our own from our own freshly ground whole wheat flour - a wee dash of baking powder (no aluminum, sodium free baking powder BTW) goes in to help them be a bit more flexible. So, perhaps, checking ingredients to see if any contain something like baking powder might be a cue that they're potentially more likely to stay flexible.

Back when we still bought tortillas, I'd get the Tumaro's brand low carb multi grain variety - they're good but they would tend toward breaking eventually. Warming them with a slightly damp cloth over them helped (microwave for just a few seconds, maybe 15 seconds depending on how many at a time and your microwave itself; or place on a baking sheet at the lowest oven setting, usually around 170).

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 539 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org