21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: vegan baby?
Created on: 09/21/12 02:54 PM Views: 1086 Replies: 5
vegan baby?
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I am new to the vegan diet and would like for my baby to have my diet as well. His pediatrician not only told me to not do such thing but started counseling me as far as why I shouldn't become one and what vitamins for me to take. That was a little frustrating and discouraging because I do believe that it is doable plus if he starts at an early time in life he'd be more likely to make it a lifestyle. Any advice on the matter?

RE: vegan baby?
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Check the Resources section on the Kickstart website here - there are resources for pregnancy right through infancy and childhood and all. And, after all, a newborn (up to at least a year) is mainly nursing and maybe moving to some pureed type veggies, fruits, and grains (rice cereal mixed with breast milk for example). That's vegan (hmm is nursing vegan since it's mammal milk? :winkSmile

Actually, my son (now a rapidly growing 14 year old) was pretty much vegetarian as a wee tot - he would eat cheese and yogurt but no meat until he was somewhere over 5 years old. Yes, you will probably need to supplement B12 in one way or another (nutritional yeast is a vegan source of B12 but many vegans supplement B12 just in case). And, you'll definitely need to eat a LOT as a nursing mom - but there are resources available to help you make sure you're getting what you need to feed your little one.

--DebR

Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I am vegan, plant based diet 100%, but, my hubby is not...would love to raise my toddler 100% vegan, but, at this time, I could only said he is 80%

when my baby is with me (most time, because my hubby works, and I am stay home mom), he eats whatever I have prepared for meals...at dinner, I cook vegan, plant based diet style for everyone...once in a while, my hubby will have cheese, fish, or some meat, and he will let our toddler try...but, very little Wink

I don't know how I could totally control...especially after kids go to school...I know I am worried too much since he is only 26 months old. But, right now, I feel glad that he eats salad Wink love red pepper, carrot, broccoli, and kale Wink

I do have him taken multi vitamin from Dr. Fuhrman's though...just in case Wink

xoxoxoxoxoox

Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM

wen wrote:

I am vegan, plant based diet 100%, but, my hubby is not...would love to raise my toddler 100% vegan, but, at this time, I could only said he is 80%

when my baby is with me (most time, because my hubby works, and I am stay home mom), he eats whatever I have prepared for meals...at dinner, I cook vegan, plant based diet style for everyone...once in a while, my hubby will have cheese, fish, or some meat, and he will let our toddler try...but, very little Wink

I don't know how I could totally control...especially after kids go to school...I know I am worried too much since he is only 26 months old. But, right now, I feel glad that he eats salad Wink love red pepper, carrot, broccoli, and kale Wink

I do have him taken multi vitamin from Dr. Fuhrman's though...just in case Wink

xoxoxoxoxoox

1 - you can't control any other being, all you can do is provide options and be an example, living what you believe

2 - odds are good that it won't be long before a 26 month old stops loving broccoli, kale, red peppers, and maybe even carrots. do NOT fret overmuch about it. There comes a point when most children will want a very narrow range of foods, and be drawn toward sweeter things (broccoli and red peppers are not as sweet as, say, bananas and apples). This is common, normal even. At 3 to 4 years old, children are ranging farther from mom and dad. Drawing their range of acceptable foods in more narrowly and moving toward sweet things (sweet generally equals safe for humans - that's why antifreeze is SO dangerous - it's a sweet poison) is a biologically wired way to keep roaming toddlers safe. If it then becomes a battle of wills between parent and child, it tends to extend out for a long time. But, if parents find mutually acceptable sweets (we did a lot of baking and such when son was that age, that way we could manage the ingredients and still provide sweetness) and maybe even have a multivitamin supplement as a regular thing (one for parent, one for child - tots LOVE to imitate their grownups) just in case. Eventually they'll broaden their horizons once again if it's not a win/lose battle with parents.

--DebR

Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I always wondering those vegan families...how kids react when they go to school...I do know one family they kid don't like sweet...and don't eat candy when there is candy provided at school or birthday party...wondering how can I raise a kid like this...xoxoxoxoox

Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 at 8:13 AM

For us, not limiting anything (within the bounds of what is available at a given time - if we run out of something, it waits until the next shopping trip, for example) and not forcing anything (have to eat two bites of broccoli before you can have a cookie) is what we did. Now, we've got a 14 yr old who will seek out protein if he knows that there will be lots of sweets at a party/event. Since he knows that if he wants a cookie, and we have a cookie, he can have it and if we run out, we can get more at the soonest viable time, he doesn't have to go running to get as much as he can right away. He can say "No thanks" to sweets if that's not what he wants right then. We also have open lines of communication regarding nutrition information. When he was much younger, we noticed that Saturday afternoons around 4 pm were 'crazy time' - he'd get wound up and out of control and even he didn't like himself then. What we noticed was that Saturdays tended to be a little more 'freeform' as far as meals/food went and by late Saturday afternoon, he was needing a hearty dose of solid foods with protein especially. So, I started consciously offering a PBJ *before* things got out of hand "hey, would you like strawberry or grape jam on your PBJ?" (note, I didn't so much ask IF he wanted a sandwich but rather offered the sandwich as a foregone conclusion that just needed input). When that seemed to take the edge off, I offered up information about what I'd noticed "I noticed that if you have some protein when this starts to happen, things get better instead of crazier" (obviously not exact conversation lol). That gave him information he could use and when he recognized those feelings/behaviors starting, he had some tools to address them - and he'd ASK for protein/snack "I think I need a protein snack - what do we have?" and we'd assist him with that. It became almost a game with him to try to fit as many nutrients into the most compact snack he could think up. We got a great poster from greenleafy that shows all sorts of nutrients (not just the "food pyramid") and their veg*n sources. Son could go over and check it out for himself if he chose, or he could ask us about it.

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 376 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org