21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: September 2012 Kickstart Forum: kids
Created on: 09/21/12 05:51 PM Views: 889 Replies: 5
kids
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 5:51 PM

New here...just sticking my toe in and feeling the water...I have 3 kids 5,3,10mos and we need to make this happen...
I have not done the full challenge...I may sound lame, but we are a fairly low income family and I feel the need to phase out what we have by consuming it...

I have tried a few recipes on the web and from dr furhmans kids recipes...none are working so far...ugh

any families here struggling and how can we get the rest of the family on board?

RE: kids
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

What I did was make one meal a day some kind of really good vegan soup with crusty bread. Very cheap to make. Very nutritious and filling.

Breakfast is not too hard . Bread product if some kind and a piece if whatever fruit is on sale. That leaves lunch. Pbutter and jelly? If you can find time to make bread it can be cheaper and jumpstarted with cheap, higher quality protein. If nit, find a bread thrift store.

I don't know where you live or how big your family is. My one luxury us
"Better than bullion". The vegetable is vegan and it really helps soups.

Also, any spare veggies can usually go into soup.
I hope you are having some fun with it. It can be time consuming.

Janeoverton

Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

What I did was make one meal a day some kind of really good vegan soup with crusty bread. Very cheap to make. Very nutritious and filling.

Breakfast is not too hard . Bread product if some kind and a piece if whatever fruit is on sale. That leaves lunch. Pbutter and jelly? If you can find time to make bread it can be cheaper and jumpstarted with cheap, higher quality protein. If nit, find a bread thrift store.

I don't know where you live or how big your family is. My one luxury us
"Better than bullion". The vegetable is vegan and it really helps soups.

Also, any spare veggies can usually go into soup.
I hope you are having some fun with it. It can be time consuming.

Janeoverton

Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM

You don't have to use the expensive recipes they publish here. Fantastic soups can be made with beans, a starch, onions, leftover veggies or whatever greens are cheap this week or are in the sale bin. Bread is two cups if flour, salt, 2 tbsp sugar and yeast. And about two cups water. This is French bread. You can even make a sour dough and use that instead if pricier yeast. My family liked what they laughingly call third world bread. That us like chapatis or any other unleavened flat bread. Recipes can be Googled. You can add whatever you can get cheap, like oats, bran or anything else to enhance protein content and fiber.

Janeoverton

Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 at 7:21 PM

You don't have to use the expensive recipes they publish here. Fantastic soups can be made with beans, a starch, onions, leftover veggies or whatever greens are cheap this week or are in the sale bin. Bread is two cups if flour, salt, 2 tbsp sugar and yeast. And about two cups water. This is French bread. You can even make a sour dough and use that instead if pricier yeast. My family liked what they laughingly call third world bread. That us like chapatis or any other unleavened flat bread. Recipes can be Googled. You can add whatever you can get cheap, like oats, bran or anything else to enhance protein content and fiber.

Janeoverton

Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Learn to cook dry beans - way cheaper than canned and really easy (cook once, enough for a few meals, and it isn't all that time consuming) and assorted grains (brown rice, quinoa, barley, etc). A go to staple at our hosue is brown rice, black beans, and a can of tomato product (sauced, diced, crushed, etc) and we add whatever seasonings we've got on hand - it can go Italian with basil, oregano, thyme; it can go Tex-mex with chili seasoning; we've done mild curry seasoning in it even. Hearty, cheap, simple.

Also, we do a lot of seasonal produce - we get apples in the fall, clementine oranges in January when they're cheapest, peaches in August, and so on. Fall/winter we do a lot of things with squashes, potato, cabbage, onion - cheap and hearty fare. We get frozen veggies to round things out (broccoli, bell peppers, spinach, etc) for the off season foods. It's the way my great-grandmother ate when she was growing up - you ate whatever was local and seasonal because that was the least expensive. By doing that, we can save a bit for those one or two items that are never local to us (like avocado for homemade guacamole).

--DebR

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 448 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org