21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: Hello new here
Created on: 12/30/12 03:43 AM Views: 1038 Replies: 5
Hello new here
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 3:43 AM

I am from ohio, diabetic, high cholesterol, and really hoping this helps, it makes perfect sense... so giving it a good try Smile

RE: Hello new here
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 6:37 AM

I am also diabetic, and after MD said it's time to start insulin, I attended a vegan health retreat. That was about 2 months ago. At the retrreat my numbers came down. But it's complicated. What diabetics have to eat and do is different from what PCRM's webcasts say.
For instance, I need to stay away from the tropical fruits- mango, pineapple. I need to have my daily apple at the end of breakfast, so the beans I start the meal with slow the absorption of the apple sugar into the bloodstream.
There's lot more, and since I've been back from the retreat (2 months now) it's been hard for me to keep it up. I'm still trying- that's why I just signed on for this.
My main point is- it's not enough to just go vegan, or even to just eat low on the glycemic index. I wish PCRM had an MD trained to give meal planning advice specifically to diabetics.
Oh- the other important factor at the retreat that is hard to keep up in real life, but is very important- is to walk 15 min after each meal. That helps keep the blood sugar from going too high.
Good luck.

Edited 12/30/12 6:39 AM
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM

bpeaceful wrote:

I wish PCRM had an MD trained to give meal planning advice specifically to diabetics.

You should get Dr. Barnard's Book.

Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes

Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I will get the book, I really want this to work for me.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM

And, too, keep in mind that there's no "typical" diabetic. What is good for one is not good for all. Some folks can have oatmeal for breakfast, others spike way high with oatmeal for breakfast. Some folks can't have oatmeal for breakfast but it makes a great lunch or dinner. Generally speaking, higher fiber options are better than lower fiber options (which is basically whole foods vs. processed foods). But which specific foods are best for which individual can vary widely. Add in that a given item may be fine some times but not others for the SAME person and it gets even more fun Sad For example, women's monthly hormonal changes will affect how blood glucose goes even when the food and activity levels are virtually identical day to day. Plus, over time, bodies change, so what was fine two years ago, or even sometimes two months ago, is trouble today (or maybe is really good today!)

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Welcome! I hope this works for you too, it is such a healthy way to eat! Kudos to you for giving it a try.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Edited 01/02/13 3:56 PM

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 447 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org