21-Day Vegan Kickstart

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page

Forums: Main Kickstart Forum: soy milk help / info
Created on: 12/30/12 06:54 AM Views: 1928 Replies: 10
soy milk help / info
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Hi all,
so wonderful to find this site. I have struggled with a lot of compulsive eating and I hear that dairy can actually be addictive, like morphine! Mad now...not sure if this is true...but I feel very addicted to it.

I don't have any emotional issues, or stress so - I really wonder if my craving the dairy is just a habit of my body and brain!

I want to know, is soy milk safe to consume? I hear so many controversial things about drinking soy...I don't plan to eat any of the other 'fancy' soy products like soya ice cream, tofu dogs, all that...just plain soy milk with coffee, is that okay? What brands should I look for?

RE: soy milk help / info
Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Soy is safe to consume. In fact, it has many benefits. Here is our latest factsheet on the research behind soy:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topics/soy-and-your-health

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 9:00 AM

There is a wonderful youtube video of a Neal Barnard lecture which really spells out the dairy thing. It is long, so maybe you can just put it on while you are puttering about doing something, just pretend it is radio! If you are in a hurry, start at 8 minutes on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VWi6dXCT7I&list=LLn0tYQtWCyU7hLFmeJ8OZgw

As for coffee, most people like silk, but read the ingredients! Coffee is a special case. I learned from having lived in places where it was consumed differently, you can adjust to your new coffee in three or four days... I AM SERIOUS, really. There is nothing more wonderful than that morning coffee, and it is next to rude to change the flavour, right? But if you persist for a day or two, that coffee will just start tasting like your coffee with a few days. Try it black. It will be horrible the first time, not so horrible the next day, and perfectly normal very soon. The first time you put cream in it again you will be repulsed.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk
Director: MEET IRENE - An Unlikely Vegan
GRYPHON media productions

Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM

As for soy (tofu) I am going to perhaps overly simplify things. Soybeans are a whole food. They are good for you. Minimally processed, such as tofu and soymilk is not a problem. Organic is probably a good idea. Health benefits of soy, especially for women, are easy to find on google. Put a name of a recognized health professional in the google search with soy... someone like neal barnard,

Processed food is bad, even processed soy.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM

thanks so much for this great information!

So, regular soy-milk, even every day having some with my coffee...is NOT bad, right?

I am of course a woman lol, and it seems that everyone fears soy because it increases estrogen. But I am not obese or anything...so even if it did increase my estrogen, the worst that could happen is it might make me gain a few pounds or so. But not more than the daily pint of ben and jerry's...or milk chocolate would do!

I'm glad to hear that my taste buds can change and preferences too..that i can shake this addiction. I hate my craving the dairy and I HATE feeling likie I can't go a day without it.

Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Yes, regular soy milk is fine. It is a good habit to read ingredients... and that is not the same as the "nutritional facts". The nutritional facts tell you how much of various daily required nutrients are in each serving, but that can be from any source... animal, mineral, vegetable or synthetic! Read the ingredients, even of soy milk. Find the one that has no artificial flavours, colour, emollients, etc.

- madeline

madeline yakimchuk

Posted Sunday, December 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Yep, soy milk is okay for you to use on a daily basis. I personally hate the taste of soy and really only use it in the forms of miso, tamari, soy sauce, and tofu. Low sodium soy sauce and tamari are the only ones I would say I use with any regularity (1-3 times a week).

My personal preference for non-dairy milk is almond milk.

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Soy milk is fine provided that you have no other issues. Soy can interact with thyroid hormone supplements/meds (like for hypothyroid) and for some folks (like me) it tends to exacerbate things like PMS (after 3 days using soy milk on my cereal in the mornings, and nothing else, I felt like I was going through severe PMS - bloating, water retention, mood swings, etc - and it wasn't even PMS-time!) So, I skip soy milk, tofu, etc - it's not essential to being vegan. We tried a handful of plant milks as a family and decided that we liked almond best. For a 'treat', we'll pick up vanilla sweetened almond coconut milk to make smoothies (banana, strawberry with the almond coconut is yummy! but it is higher in sugar and fat than usual, so it's a treat and then we go back to the unsweetened plain almond milk)

--DebR

Posted Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM

From reading information from Dr. McDougall, soy products are rich and do have a high fat content. If you are looking to lose a lot of weight, go with the light version of soy milk.

- Amanda
Be the change you wish to see in the world...

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I'm hearing conflicting information from different sources. My aunt is a breast cancer survivor and her doctor told her to avoid soy products. I had been drinking soy milk for years before this, but switched to almond milk based on that advice.

Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Soy is safe even for people who have had breast cancer. It seems to even help reduce the risk of recurrence. Regretfully, the doctor seems to be reading the magazine articles instead of the research.

On the other hand, because there are so many different, healthful beans other than soy available, I tend to avoid the soy battle with wary patients.

Susan Levin, MS, RD
PCRM Director of Nutrition Education

New Topic Reply Subscription Options   Previous Page  Page: 1   Previous Page
Subscription Options
Subscription options are available after you log in.

There are 182 active user sessions right now.

home | contact us | about us | support us | full disclaimer | privacy policy

PCRM Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400, Washington, DC 20016
Phone: 202-686-2210 | E-mail: pcrm@pcrm.org